Bojendyk

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by Microwave, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    What the hell is "Industrial" music? Punkers who make their instruments sound like banging on pipe?

FYI Me and Eric outnumber the rest of you philistines and prog rock is now the official music of Archer's Forum.

2. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

Yes actually, that is how industrial started.....bands like Throbbing Gristle who banged hammers on metal and recorded it thru distortion boxes and yelled.....einsterzende naubautan is another example.....but the definition of industrial has changed to aggressive dance music with a singer usually singing thru a distortion box. Some pop/industrial is Nine Inch Nails and Rammstein. Other examples are Frontline Assembly, Skinny Puppy, Ministry, Young Gods.....but many industrial purists consider those bands to be "EBM" which is another genre altogether.

3. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Supposedly, Black Flag were big fans of KC's Red album. A while back, I listened to an mp3 of "20th Century Schizoid Man," and it was okay enough at first, at least until it broke down into the solos.

A few months ago, The New Yorker published an article about the hardcore homeless population. What interested me was the so-called "hockey stick" curve re: the costs of homelessnes. The overwhelming majority of the homeless population doesn't remain homeless for a very long period of time; usually, they've found a home within a year, and the recidivism rates aren't that high. Thus, the combination of government programs (e.g., section 8 housing and welfare) and private charities actually works pretty well. The tiny minority of homeless people who don't get their acts together that quickly, however, are responsible for the overwhelming majority of costs associated with homelessness (e.g., expensive trips to the emergency department).

4. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    When I was a teenager, the University of Washington radio station used to air a program called Hank's International House of Noise, which served as my introduction to industrial. I didn't care for it, but it was at least interesting. Swans and Einstrunze Neubaten actually sounded like industry. When Nine Inch Nails and Ministry broke big a few years later, it shocked me a bit to hear them called "industrial," because they sounded nothing like industry.

5. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Although it's not classified as such, there is industrial classical music, too. Get something by Karlheinz Stockhausen. But don't spend alot.

Stockhausen could probably sell a bunch if he'd get a pierced tongue and call his orchestra "Booger Feast"

6. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    I ignored Green Day for a long time, since they were supposedly punkers, but I listened to "American Idiot" and that's quality hard rock, as good as it gets. That isn't a bunch of slobs, they put alot of effort in the compositions and arrangements.

7. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

Lots of fans of early industrial music were shocked as well. On some of the music boards I am on the debate flares up every so often. Then there is the whole "well, Apoptygma Berzerk is not goth - it's music for gravers and She Wants Revenge and Marilyin Manson are posers."

I've never liked industrial of any sort, aside from Chris and Cosey who were a throbbing gristle spinoff. I like some early goth but the people who listen to it are so lame that it's hard to associate myself with them, and yeah - early Clan of Xymox is goth.

I'll stick to my remastered Pet Sounds CD for the time being.

8. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

You know my girlfriend told me the same thing so I listened to her copy and I considered breaking up with her right then and there. In fact, after reading that post, Smiley321 I am putting you on my ignore list.

9. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Another thing you and Vivzig have in common. And Mel Brennan, he took three paragraphs to say he was putting me in file 13.

10. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

So then CommonDreams had an article about ignoring you and Mel cut and pasted it? I mean, that's pretty much all he does so I am suprised to see the leftist web sites writing about you.

11. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    No, you can tell when he has composed it himself, it's the most incoherent, redundant stuff I've ever seen. I was honored to have provoked him to such lengths.

Another time, he wanted to call me stupid and used three sentences to do that. And he looked up the word "hebetudinous" and used it because the usual insults just wouldn't do.

I call his use of the language "Mellish" and his frequent posts "The Mellish Quotidian"

12. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I didn't realize the politics forum came with a commentary track.

Sachin