Bojendyk

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by Microwave, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

I agree with most of this. I just wonder if Bill really thinks all Liberals hate America?

I think when conservatives say that they are reffering to the people on DU.com, Chomsky-ites and Ratdog.

2. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have the subsequent emails also? Because I remember it ending with you asking me to not mention you in any posts any longer.

3. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

No I don't have them, must have deleted them, but I doubt I asked that. I could care less. You are hardly the first who has insulted me or the last. I wrote you to clarify mainly that I don't like Industrial music and wondered where I "flew off the handle". I probably have flown off the handle, I just wondered specificly where. I did have fun making fun of the music people though.

4. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not true. It's just what you want to believe because it's easier to dismiss their opinion if you think they are enemies of the state rather than people who like the country but disagree with a law or policy.

5. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Here's another generalization for you: Liberals who dislike deficit spending dislike it intensely when it is due to a Republican and kinda sorta frown on it when it's a Democrat spending for midnight basketball.

And another generalization: liberals who honestly dislike deficit spending are as common as siamese twins. Liberals who are phonies who pretend to dislike deficit spending to lay a cheap shot on dubya are as common as cockroaches.

6. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Well, you know that the Pixies are probably my very favorite group, and Throwing Muses had their moments. The other stuff, well, it mostly puts me to sleep.

Were Swervedriver on 4AD? They were pretty good.

That Arcade Fire cd is fantastic, and I just listened to it over the weekend. In fact, "Rebellion (Lies)" came on my iPod during a recent run outside, and it energized me. Whether they'll fizzle out after that record remains to be seen. I certainly never pimped the other bands: the Strokes offered nothing new musically, and Of Montreal are simply atrocious. I would have substituted The Streets for the Arcade Fire.

And I don't care what you say: Sleater-Kinney were the most vital, most exciting, and most fantastic band of the past ~10 years. Their hipness factor and credibility outside of the MTVM forum mean little to me (in fact, plenty of bigsoccer people hate them). I love every single one of their records. My wife thinks that The Woods may be her favorite album, period!

Not true at all. They take an argument from DU.com and use it as a weapon against a moderate like Hillary Clinton.

7. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my point. How many people are registered on DU.com? 20,000? 30,000? I don't think all of those people hate America but let's say they do and they are the hard left. Out of a nation of 290 million people, they are a tiny fraction.

Bill just posted about Fred Phelps group who hate America from the hard right. They hate America but I wouldn't say all conservatives hate America because the extreme hard right hates America.

My point is that it lowers the discourse in the country when people throw around crap like "they hate America". Right and left.

8. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

I agree with you that some conservatives go too far with their "if you're not with us then you hate America" rhetoric. I think it is stupid.

However I can think of a few people on bigsoccer who only posts to bash America. They don't just bash Bush, they bashed Clinton in the early days of bigsoccer. They think EVERYTHING America does is wrong. They hate capitalism. They hate the politcal duopoly. They hate American culture. This represents only about 2% of all Americans which is why I don't know why me and the conservatives get all riled up by them. When Noam Chomsky speaks, no one really cares.

9. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Midnight Basketball was one of George H.W. Bush's 1000 points of light.

Here's another generalization: for some reason, Republicans like Rick Wakeman and Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. ;)

10. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

I agree with you.

11. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

Too many republicans like hillbilly music. Alan Jackson for example.

12. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

You are right to an extent. however how many conservatives really do that? Bill and Karl? I've already said I don't like Karl's threads that are titled "Hey Lefty Moonbats, why are you so stupid?"

I am not all that impressed with the conservatives on bigsoccer, nor the liberals. Sort of like in real life. I am not a republican, just to let you know. I am more of a anti-farleftliberal. There are tons of republican policies I despise.

13. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fine. You don't like deficit spending in that example? Replace "deficit spending" with "bans on federal funding for stem cell research". My point remains. Just because I support federal funding of stem cell research doesn't mean I hate the country.

14. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

You love the United States of America. You want to tongue kiss it. Why don't you and America go get a room?

Happy now?

15. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I'm listening to a new great band out of Brooklyn. Of course, I'm happy. :)

Dirty on Purpose | No Radio
    Dirty on Purpose | Car No Driver

16. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Who are you calling a Republican?

I like ELP, but I'm not a Republican. For my money, everything ELP did up to and including "Brain Salad Surgery" was prog rock at its finest. Everything after was worthless. Why such a nosedive, I don't know.

They did a double album, called "Works" that was like a Chicago double album but without the two good songs to offset the filler.

17. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    Hey I started an anti-Bush thread here in Bill's forum. I've reversed my position on Iraq by about 60%. I would rather see that money spent on homeless shelters than the war. Does that make me a communist?

18. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

King Crimson. Bitch.

19. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    by the way, I don't think the 4 people mentioned are actually crazy. I just used to word crazy in place of "extremely biased to the point of fault".

20. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You wanna hear a good argument in favor of Communism?

Here ya go:

Paris Hilton made $7 million last year.

21. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    So THAT'S why her neck is so stiff.

22. kaiserwilhelm

kaiserwilhelm New Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Oklahoma
    Take it from someone who has spent countless hours at homeless shelters. Churches are the way to give to these. Money given via the gubment is a complete waste. I have seen more examples of just plain CRAZY people that need to go to an insane asylum that are babied because the money is coming from the feds. I understand their hands are tied, but trust me when I say homeless shelters are the most depressing places on earth. Not because of where people are but because of where they can never get. I have met people that $100,000 dollars could not lift them from their state. They have accepted sleeping under a bridge and dropping out of society because being part of society and accepting the back child support and back taxes ad nauseum would take their every penny for the next 10 years.
    Oh, and btw, this Republican has learned that, "no, you do NOT want everyone in the world getting a job. 30 percent of the homeless population of Tulsa just needs to stay right where they are at. No burger flippin for them...at least not with my food".

23. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <Raises hand proudly...>

Although, nobody ever really thinks Wakeman's post-Yes stuff is any good. And most prog artists (like Wakeman, for example) were just as liberal as their musical counterparts in inferior rock genres, the likes of Fish or Neal Peart notwithstanding...

Also a favorite, but I think what they were doing at the time of the best ELP and Yes stuff was technically inferior to those other bands. I'm still amazed at some of the sloppy playing Bill Bruford allowed to be on vinyl from "Red", especially considering how much ass he kicked during the "Discipline" era less than a decade later.

Speaking of getting better with age, that is the one area that Robert Fripp has an advantage over his fellow prog pioneers. Not only were KC's early 80's stuff so much better than what a lot of 70's rock bands were doing at that time, the "Vroom" records were a sound that really delighted my hardcore metal sensabilities. So many rockers just can't write a decent song after the age of 35, it might not be a bad thing that the likes of Jim Morrison or Jimi Hendrix didn't last that long, or else they might be punch lines, a la Eric Clapton.

Isn't this now the time where Sachin comes in and remarks that crappy musical taste is non-partisan?

24. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    LOL... I was just thinking none of you listen to any good music. King Diamond is where it's at.

Sachin

25. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I usually stay out of music discussions, but if you want the real thing, undiluted, you need Brian Auger's Oblivion Express. A little more jazz-oriented in some respects, and maybe a little bit closer to Traafic than ELP or what have you, but straight ahead stuff.

"Tryin' to make it "real" compared to what?"