Bojendyk

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by Microwave, Jul 10, 2006.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Stalin was a Georgian - my relatives from that part of the world were from Baku (and Jewish). Although some of them did meet Stalin.

2. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    And this is just the first of many things that Stalin and Jimmy Carter had in common.

Several years ago, I had a student from (former Soviet) Georgia in one of my rhetoric classes. The subject of Stalin came up once in class. After class had ended, she came up to me and expressed surprise that Stalin had such a bad reputation. She literally had no knowledge of the crimes he'd been accused of, conceding only that he had executed "bad people, like robbers and murderers."

She also had a huge and barely concealed crush on me.

3. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    She also probably had a bushy moustache.

4. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    In all seriousness, she was absolutely beautiful. But like most student crushes on teachers, the crush evaporated as soon as the trimester had ended. :(

True story:

Her: I really loved your reading last night.
    Me: You did? Great! Thanks.
    Her: Yes. It was really wonderful.
    Me: Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    Her: I loved it.
    Me: Thanks.
    Her: I sat in the front drawing pictures of you the whole time.
    Me:
    Her:
    Me:
    Her:
    Me: Um, okay.
    Her: [Blushing] I've, um, got to go.

5. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Man, I should have been a TA. And I'm glad to hear she waxed the facial hair. Because yes, Georgian girls can be really attractive.
    And you didn't for a second believe that reading was wonderful, did you? You probably assigned her Ulysses - how in the world were you going to score after that? You could have at least assigned Fanny Hill.

6. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    In literally every single class, at least one student had a crush on me, and some even went as far as asking me out. (I dated a former student for a month or two as well.) In most cases, however, the trimester ended and <POOF> so did the crushes, which is fine. It's not like I really wanted to date any of these kids anyway.

It was actually part of a bi-weekly a poetry reading that my MFA program did. And you're right--I should have assigned Fanny Hill.

Molly Bloom's soliloquy at the end of Ulysses is very, very filthy stuff, actually.

7. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I finished college early - I'd have even been younger than some of these students had I been a TA. Man, I totally missed out.

As if anyone gets that far.

8. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    So did I (finished high school early, actually), but even with the year off I took, I was only 22 when I started teaching. It was kind of odd when I had older students, especially those who had been in the Army or whatever.

One day you'll see the light, my friend!

9. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Old man. I'd have been 20.

I have, some time ago, by the fire that consumed any Joyce books that I owned.

10. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    Nicephoras I actually mentioned you in Bill's forum here as one of the liberals I respect.

11. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Dude - not so loud. You're ruining my street cred.

12. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Did you go straight to law school after college, or did you take some time off? I can't imagine being too young to drink legally in grad school.

Since I can't think of a comeback, I'll just mention again that I once dated a former student.

13. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I went straight through and its not all that bad. It was a bit annoying as the city I lived in carded surprisingly heavily. But it was only 3 months or so. Man did everyone think it was hilarious when I turned 21 - I've never drank more in my life.

So you DID assign Fanny Hill!

14. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    bump

15. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I not mistaken, didn't you used to go by the screen name Ted Cikowski? And didn't you send me a PM about six months ago complaining to me about how I had mentioned your name in a post as an example of a conservative poster? And suggested that I shouldn't make specific references to other posters in my posts?

Then I find this post where you are naming four other posters by name and insulting them by calling them "crazy". That's incredibly hypocritical of you.

If you aren't the poster who used to go by the name Ted Cikowski, then I apologize.

16. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is it when liberals say they don't like deficit spending or the War in Iraq, people say liberals hate America? But when a conservative says they don't like US tort law or the War in Kosovo, people say conservatives are just optimists who want to improve the country they love?

17. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

I asked you to give examples of what you were talking about, I didn't care either way. And yes, the four I mentioned deserve to be insulted. I never said you shouldn't insult anyone. You deserve to be insulted for your hideous taste in music, for example. Go die in a fire.

18. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

What are you talking about?

19. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess if it's too tough to follow your own rules, it's easier to change the rules to fit your behavior. Way to go!

20. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bmurphyfl... people say "liberals hate America" because, in many cases, they actually do!

21. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

Do you still have the PM?

I never claimed that insulting people was wrong, I asked you to give me an example of why you insulted me. I didn't care either way. I just wanted an example. So I had no rules, I still have none. Thank you for playing.

22. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    That reminds me: Clan of Xymox sucked.

23. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    I have it.

This is what happened. Out of boredom one day I put my name in the search and found this post by you:

My reply was:

24. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

They are still around, and nothing on 4AD records sucked. You have a lot to learn about music

25. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pointing out the inconsistencies associated with Bill and Karl saying that all liberals hate America becasue they disagree with this or that. However, when they disagree with a policy here or there, they don't see themsleves as people who hate America. They see themselves as people who want to improve a great country.

Here's an idea...I think the vast majority of people who live in America like America. Right and left. There are extremes on both sides but for the most part, we all like America but disagree with policies and laws here and there. It's OK for liberals to dislike deficit spending and still like America. It's OK for conservatives to dislike US tort law and still like America.