Boavista Futebol Clube Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Liga Sagres Clubs' started by Força Sporting, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    We just signed this guy, Juan Angulo from Bahia. A defensive midfielder that can play as a right defender as well (or so it seems according to zerozero).

2. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    You know, I don't think we're doing that bad. For a full team made up of obscure players we have been doing alright. I have noticed progress ever since the match against Braga (and the score is pretty deceiving also - in the 1st goal the player purposely stretched the arm to place the ball forward and the 3rd was a free kick and not a penalty).

Defensively we're doing very well. The typical garra from the past is there. What we need is linking up offensive plays. They struggle so much at passing the ball effectively that sometimes I wonder if it's just lack of chemistry or Petit is neglecting that side of the game in practice.

I want to believe it's the first one and that things will be better once there is more understanding on the field. The players that came off the bench against Benfica seem to better creatively than Bobô or Montenegro. With the newcomers Leozinho and Quinzy we should even have more options upfront.

A draw in Rio Ave would be a nice score to build confidence. And we have no excuses in getting something against Académica in the following match. If for some reason we lose the next 2 games then we might be in for a bloodbath in Dragão. We need points as soon as possible.

3. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Tough schedule to start with . Braga, Benfica , and Rio Ave is no push over .

Chess_Panther repped this.
  4. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Phew, got a win at home against Penafiel. We are now 6 points above relegation zone and at 13th place.

I think the team is being badly coached by Petit regardless of its quality. There are simple mechanisms that the team struggles with and that has nothing to do with individual skills. A lot of heart but no creativity. Petit likes to play with a lot of defensive minded players and that makes it really hard to build plays (and I believe that there's also lack of training on that).

So far I would say that Lucas Rocha, Anderson Correa, Brito and Uchebo are definitely players to keep an eye on. Definitely the latter, he only arrived the club 3 games ago but he's been very impressive so far. For a tall striker he is good with his feet and does everything right. He was very unlucky in the last game and I hope he turns out to be a goalscoring machine for us (despite not having much service).

5. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Job #1 is survival. Next season will be better.

6. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Yes! With this victory Boavista is 9 points away from the relegation zone. I hope we can keep some of these players for next season. Uchebo and Brito are definitely our most valuable players right now.

7. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Aaaaaand the club did the impossible. Congrats to Petit.

I hope next year we're able to fight for a mid table position.

8. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Watching old videos of Boavista and man did they produce some good and important players for the Liga and the seleçao

Ricardo Pereira
    Helton
    Sanchez
    Meireles
    Bosingwa

9. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Sanchez was a Bolivian international.

I would add Petit, Nogueira, Nuno Gomes and Joao V. Pinto as the most influential nationally.

10. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    To be fair he did mention "for the Liga" too.

I think the best portuguese ones were:

Ricardo, Litos, Pedro Emanuel, Bosingwa, Petit, Nogueira, Rui Bento, Raúl Meireles, João Pinto, Nuno Gomes.

The best foreign ones:

Timofte, Sanchez, Jimmy Hasseilbaink.

Of course there are others like Artur, Ricky, Latapy and so on, but I feel that they were never on the same level of the three mentioned above.

A brief mention of Phil Walker that joined at the age of 30 in the 80s and was in the starting lineup for 7 years. A historic player for the club that never gets mentioned, even by our fans.

vilafria repped this.
  11. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    #561 vilafria, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    How could you forget Marlon Brandão ??

Ayew too, had exceptional seasons there.

This I almost forgot : Zoran Filipović also had a good run there before turning to coaching.

12. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Hope to see Boavista in Europe

Benfica Sporting Porto Braga Boavista Guimaraes are all CL capable clubs even Maritimo have aspirations with the new stadium

A string boavista is only good fort Portugal

13. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    It'll take some years down the road until we're able to go back to what we were.

Another thing that I remembered while redoing the "Notable Former Players" section in Boavista's wiki: Isaías. I had completely forgot about him. He was a great player that kind of went under the radar. Even for Benfica fans.

vilafria repped this.
  14. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Yeah . I'll never forget him, cost Sporting the title that year of the infamous 6-3 loss. Him and JVP clicked like never before or after. :mad:

15. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    #565 Chess_Panther, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    Haha, yeah I've seen footage of that.

I do wish that Boavista goes back to their glory days because other than a two or three year stint from Braga, every other club failed to impress in the european stage. Domestically, we have yet to be overthroned after the big three.

I'm saying this because after watching Guimarães play I feel that the portuguese league deserves better representatives. Even this joke of a team wouldn't let themselves get their asses kicked at home against some unknown austrians. They have to leave their sweat and blood on the field because that's the work ethic that has been taught in Boavista for years. There is a culture of taking every game seriously in honor of the club's past achievements. Which is something that I don't see often in some portuguese clubs. Vitória could aim to be better when looking at their fan attendance and infra structures...but a weak mentality overall.

16. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Ahh, the years of Bóbó. Him alone kept many European teams at bay. :)

17. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Remember that tank that was Silva what a beast

18. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Unfortunately never repeated while at Sporting :confused:

19. creggschinkelov

Sep 19, 2014
    Good start so far except for the 4-0 lost to Braga. Tough game against Sporting next.

20. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Not a bad result. We're doing far better atm compared to last season.

21. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    [​IMG]
    Erwin Sánchez to replace Petit as the new coach. This is his second try as a coach at the club.

22. nuno10slb4live

Jan 23, 2013
    New Beige, Mass.
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This should be the man in charge.

Attached Files:

23. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Boavista is having a horrible season. Any winter signings on the horizon?

24. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    It could be worse, Sanchez is doing a fine job. 2 victories in a row. I have a good feeling that we will not be relegated. We signed 2 good midfielders this winter season and the team is playing much better offensively than under Petit. If we score a few points at home then we have everything to secure a spot in the 1st league.

25. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Hopefully they continue to push foward