Blonde Ambition: William Yarbrough at Leon

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by elosoperesosolatino, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Even in the shorter term, he's probably better off with Mexico. For all the hype surrounding Memo Ochoa, he's nearly 30 and glued to the bench at Malaga, and all of their other GKs listed on wikipedia are quite a bit older than he is.

As for Mexico's future GK's, their YNT's have begun to make a habit of using Mexican-Americans in goal, and I believe that Yarbrough is the only GK on that list of 2018 prospects that @Testudo put up.

2. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darren Randolph is better

3. socal23

socal23 Member

Dec 8, 2008
    He got called up by Jurgen...

User Actions
    Follow[​IMG]Tom Marshall‏@mexicoworldcup
    .@ruubenrod reporting that Leon's Mexico-born 'keeper William Yarbrough has been called up by the US.

Retweet
    Favorite
    More

• [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Testudo, HopperKowalski and BostonRed repped this.
  4. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Yeah, I just saw that, according to Wiki, he doesn't have a single league appearance yet this season. Incredible.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.espnfc.com/mexican-liga-...-is-not-overlooking-leon-gk-william-yarbrough

Leon midfielder Jose Juan Vazquez said on Wednesday that Yarbrough told him of his decision to accept an invitation from U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann.

"He told me earlier," said Vazquez. "It will be kind of weird [to see him with the United States]. But it is great that they called him. He seems really happy and his play has been perfect."

Leon coach Juan Antonio Pizzi confirmed the news of the U.S. call-up during a press conference on Wednesday. U.S. Soccer has not confirmed Yarbrough's presence for upcoming friendlies vs. Denmark and Switzerland, confirming only that the rosters will be announced on Sunday.

"I am not going to rush into a recall of any player if another national team wants him," Herrera told ESPN.mx in reference to Yarbrough, who was born in Aguascalientes, Mexico, but whose parents are from Texas. "If they want to call him up at this time and right now he is not on my mind I have no problem with it. I'll repeat it: Right now in Mexico there are 10 quality goalkeepers and the ones I have already chosen will be very good."

Herrera, however, said that Yarbrough, who turns 26 on Friday, should not lose hope about a Mexico call-up.

"Of course [he will be considered for El Tri], the coach said. "At no time have I said he is a bad player. There is a reason the United States has its sights set on him. He is a good goalkeeper but I feel like I need to look at other players who I will likely be using and who are having a better moment right now in their careers."

Testudo repped this.
  6. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    When I've seen Yarbrough with Léon, he's great as a distributor and shotstopper but a bit of a vampire in command of his box. Does this mean the USMNT won't play a formation that cedes the flanks?

7. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? I was waaay off. He clearly stated it. I'm absolutely sure now that we shouldn't have a thread on this guy, because, clearly, he's 100% committed to Mexico. He would never, ever even consider a call-up from the US........

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  8. Saldgotti1991

Saldgotti1991 Member+

Jun 7, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Sadly, he wasn't patient enough to wait for a call up to Mexico, so he pretty much took the easy route. Jurgen will call him once, maybe call him up to the gold cup, get cap tied, and possibly never called up again.

(TxT) repped this.
  9. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Testudo and GiallorossiYank repped this.
  10. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm very surprised about this as I just assumed someone who has lived their whole life in Mexico, identifies as Mexican, is mentioned in contention for the Mexican national team would want, and wait, to play for El Tri.

justinpaul10 repped this.
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Testudo repped this.
  12. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    That's true that our best goalkeepers are getting old, but the GK spot requires the least revamping of any position. A national team could very well skip a generation of bad goalkeepers without any problems. In this case guys like Ochoa, Tala, and Corona could be around for the full World Cup cycle and the kids that are 18-22 right now would be ready to take over after 2018 (I'm thinking specifically of Chivas' Rodriguez and Porto's Gudiño).

Moretti repped this.
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Testudo and naopon repped this.
  14. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    No idea what this reference means...he Suarez' people? He doesn't come out during the day? He flaps at crosses like a bat? Please explain or that is going to bother me for a while. Thanks.

Gorky and Orlandinho repped this.
  15. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    True as that is, I suspect that Yarbrough has a real chance at overtaking both Corona and Talavera by 2018. At that point, he'll be 29 - prime age for a GK - while Corona will be 37 and Talavera will be 35. At Yarbrough's current age, Talavera hadn't even become a LigaMX starter yet.

Of course, my knowledge of these players is very limited, so I'll defer to you on that.

Gacm32 repped this.
  16. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    vampire = afraid of crosses

justinpaul10, Gorky, Hobo and 1 other person repped this.
  17. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    You got it. ;) First heard that from my club coach.

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    And that's what made this guy's career even more notable:

[​IMG]

Worst YA joke of the day? I sure hope so.

Hararea and (TxT) repped this.
  19. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    You'd be right about that. The general sentiment on BSMX is that Corona and Talavera are already on a downward slope (IMO Corona moreso than Talavera). Regardless it takes a special keeper to stay sharp at around that age (35+).

I don't know what the federation is banking on but I will say that Chivas' Rodriguez might the best Mexican goalkeeper in Liga MX under 28. He'll be in prime age in 2018.

20. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    soccersubjectively and Gacm32 repped this.
  21. Saldgotti1991

Saldgotti1991 Member+

Jun 7, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Already made my comments. Read above.

22. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    National team discussion to the NT forum, folks. Thanks.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  23. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

I think the "Jürgen Klinsmann" comment had a little zing on it. This Yarbrough guy is horrible and wouldn't make it in MLS.

24. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 1st one he slipped. 2nd is all on him, he should be able to handle a bouncing shot. 3rd he was hang to dry by his defense, close range 1-1 vs. a forward is going to be tough. 4th he should have done better since he was able to touch it on a ball that was swerving away. 5th was was nice blast, not sure how many goalies could block that one.

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States