Blessings in Disguise (R for USA - T&T)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Casper, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Convey picks up a red card vs. T&T - meaning he will very likely not be called in for the next pair of US matches. Perhaps the most fortunate misfortune in a while. Let's hope he uses the chance to stay hot for Reading, and comes back still hot for country later this fall.

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Or he will sit out Mexico and play in the 2nd match.

3. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highly unlikely. I don't see Bruce calling him out of England for the extended camp that these two qualifiers is going to require, when Convey is unavailable for one of the two.

More likely we'll see a combination of Bocanegra, Beasley, and Lewis manning the left side of the field both games.

4. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ive seen weireder things happen. i wouldnt discount convey coming in late for the second game after mexico.

then again, if we beat mexico and are IN for germany he wont be called in, as arena will be in experiment phase. but we will see

forza inter

5. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Assuming, of course, Bocanegra and Beasley are healthy.

6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We're pretty much through, right? We need to look for a point against Mexico, so a defensive lineup that isn't his strength, anyway. Hoping he flies back well. Agree with the thrust of this, it's a good thing.

7. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Why? He's out for at least 2 games. His yellow card accumulation and red card together will mean at least that.

8. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena could call in Bobby just for the second game. With the US having to fly to Guatemala for the second game, he could bring Bobby in with the intention of having at least one set of fresh legs starting on the left for the second game. Especially if the US don't wrap up a spot with the Mexico game.

If Bobby doesn't get called in, we might have seen the last of him for this year. I'm sure if the US qualifies in the next two games, Bruce won't call in most of the YAs for the rest of the qualifiers. However, he'll probably call in one of Eddie, DMB or Bobby to man the left, so there's a possibility. Either way, it's good to see Bobby start to live up to his potential. Now if he could start putting the ball in the net regularly, he'd be a monster...

9. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

No it doesnt. The red overrides both yellows. So neither yellow counts for accumulation.

Therefore 1 match ban.

Next yellow would get him a ban though.

10. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    We no longer play Mexico to gain a point. Even if we had already qualified, you'd play this game to win.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    It's a Saturday-Wednesday series, which means there's going to be some rotation between the two games, unless Bruce does play a snoozefest vs. Mexico for one point and the assured qualification. (I wouldn't put it past Bruce, given his penchant for allowing Chris Armas on the field)

Besides, I believe that the Mexico game falls on the international game day, so Bobby won't miss a thing in England.

And, btw, he has earned another cap by playing well. You gotta reward the kid.

12. ohk4

ohk4 Member

Jun 22, 2003
  13. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading's in the Championship, not the Premiership. They don't take international dates off.

14. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

Yes they do. You just have to have more than 3 players called into International squads.

15. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, 5 games for MLS on a full-international match day and a sixth game the next night (because Chivas and Galaxy are both home that weekend).

That's got to be my biggest pet-peeve about our league.

16. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I stand corrected, assuming he doesn't get hit with extra games. Do those yellows carry over to the World Cup?

Also, Convey could very easily play in the second match. Reading has an 11 day break between games. Then again, the away match on September 7 is down in Guatamala, which makes his commute back to Reading a lot longer. :(

17. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    My guess is that Bruce will call Convey in for the second game - He played too well to keep off the field

Bruce will call in a large squad designed to win both games with a minimum of experimentation - Even if we win against Mexico and qualify, there won't be enough time to put together a slightly experimental line-up between Saturday and Wednesday - Experimentation will come in October/Novemember and friendlies over the winter

18. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    and a broken shin that much liklier

19. Enge

Enge Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Frankenmuth MI
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, if this left winger instead of playing for Read-ing, played for the Red-Devs, and was Welsh instead of American, you would suspect he got himself suspended on purpose.