Blessed sleep!

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by Sachin, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    For two days, our little one would not stop crying when she was awake. We discovered she had some diaper rash that was pretty persistent. Finally, we used to Lotramin to get of it (on our doctor's advice). It was like flipping a switch in her.

Now, when she's awake, she starting to coo and smile and follow us with her eyes. She even lies there quietly for 10-15 minutes after waking up before she starts crying.

We went out to dinner for the first time last night, without any major problems.

But the best part is, she's sleeping from 9:00 to 4:00 every night now! We're actually well rested and good humored now!

Sachin

2. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife and I were extra attentive with the diaper rash cream. Any redness warranted some treatment. We used Balmex the most. It is something that you definitely thank yourself for if you stay on top of it early.

3. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we used lotramin, too. worked great. we also had success with bordeaux's butt paste. besides the greatest name ever, it worked pretty well. we tried 'em all.

enjoy that sleep.
    :)

4. cockney

cockney New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Trance Nation
    In Europe medications have different names and old-fashioned methods are used (like baby powder)

5. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    [​IMG]

:)

6. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NICE!!!! that'll work well with the a-holes in Dallas!

kidding, dallas fans. just kidding. the joke was just too obvious.

:D

well, maybe I'm not kidding about el jefe. ;)

7. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    [​IMG]

Don't leave home without it.

8. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

we stopped using that ... it was too messy, the little guy didn't like it and it wasn't doing much for us. our peditrician seemed to think it didn't work too well. but that was just in our case. some of our friends swear by it.

9. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're Desitin folks.It's been on every little ass in our family.

10. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    So the rash came back with a vengence today. We didn't put any lotramin on the last two days, and she was all red this evening. We've bathed her, put the lotramin and some cortisone cream and now she's sleeping. Let's hope she sleeps till 4 am.

I was actually awake and alert today at work.

11. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

Perhaps you should wait until she's a bit older to start feeding her Curry, Sachin.
    I mean, I know it's delish and all but that stuff can tears ones hiney up.

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can smell a parent with a child with diaper rash: Desitin covers bums well but at the same time doesn't wash off hands so easily. The best for baby bottoms is also the one that stays on hands the longest: the aforementioned Boudreaux's Butt Paste. I had the unfortunate experience of trying out a tester tube at a boutique once, and nowhere to clean off. Even after I got it off, everyone could smell it for hours thereafter.

But babies magically stop crying. It's one of the greatest inventions ever in the history of mankind, which you quickly learn once you've got your first diaper rash kid.

13. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Another vote for Boudreaux's here.

Another note on diaper rash (though I gather Sachin's progeny is quite young): some foods either cause it or exacerbate it. My daughter loves strawberries, but even at 2 1/2 we really have to limit her intake as she tends to get diaper rash if she eats more than one or two in a day.

14. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still get a rash if I eat too much paint and I'm in my 30s.

15. Boundzy

Boundzy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For our daughter, acidic foods tend to increase the chance for diaper rash. Also, we've noticed less diaper rash since switching from boxed wipes to good old paper towels and water for post-BM cleanup. When she gets a rash, Desitin and/or Aquaphor tend to work well.

Of course, the best treatment is frequent diaper changes.

16. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sachin -

Is your daughter on formula, breast milk or both? If she's on formula, it may be worth looking into a soy-based formula as she may have some lactose issues. That might explain the acidic stools and resultant rash.

And like Pints said - lay off the curry. :D

Oh, and Aquaphor worked great for my daughter.

17. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

I actually use a bit of A&D every night before bed as that is the longest period of time she would go unchanged, and THANK GOD, she hasn't had any diaper rash. Though she is contending with almost a full mouth of teeth so, fair trade I suspect.:D

18. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did your wife breastfeed while out? ;)

19. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Yep... no complaints. I don't think anyone even noticed.

20. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Mostly breastmilk. She gets 2-3 oz. of formula every other day or so if my wife needs a break or is out without her.

We think it was the spicy meals she had on Sunday and Monday that caused the latest bout, which seems to have cleared up.

21. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always slathered the kids with Vaseline. That seemed to prevent diaper rash and was odor free. I hope the diaper rash is not a portent of more skin issues to come. My daughter would get diaper rash at the drop of a pin. Now, she suffers from chronic eczema and, while younger, was prone to impetigo, which is a bacterial infection of the skin.

22. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. Maybe we can get that restaurant pet peeves thread fired up again!

23. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    If any restaurant told us we couldn't nurse, we'd leave right then and there.

24. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    This has me concerned as well, especially because I have psoriasis.

25. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

*SMACKS HEAD*
    I didn't even think of that. Makes sense though.