Blaine Ferri at SpVgg Greuther Fürth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by LandonDonovan2018, Feb 11, 2018.

1. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    2017 U17 World Cup vet, Blaine Ferri, may be on his way to Europe. Today he posted an Instagram story that showed him at Nordsjaelland for today's match.

Image uploaded from iOS.png

Not much to explain about Blaine as there's much familiarity with him at this point. However, it is important to note that Blaine does not turn 18 until the very end of September, so it may be some time until we hear confirmation.

Some stories of him over the years:

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...aine-ferri-day-in-the-life-at-winter-showcase

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...t-five-things-to-know-us-u17-mnt-blaine-ferri

Gacm32, BostonRed, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  2. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I just remember him being very professional and smart but painfully slow as well during his youth WC play.

3. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never really thought he was that good but maybe a move to Europe will be just what he needs to improve

SCSAutism repped this.
  4. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If its Nordsjaelland, maybe they'll hide him in Africa like they did with Amon

gunnerfan7, sakibomb523, Gacm32 and 2 others repped this.
  5. Cpt_Savior

Cpt_Savior Member

Aug 10, 2011
    He wouldn't blend in quite as well... though that was probably the joke

6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

USSoccerNova and TarHeels17 repped this.
  7. Timm

Timm Member

Fc Barcelona
    United States
    Oct 6, 2017
    Professional and smart is what top clubs look for. Nobody cares if you can run fast in a straight line. Then you just get players like Zardes or Akinola

Gacm32 repped this.
  8. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    No one said anything about fast in a straight line and Zardes isn't even fast. Not sure why you bought those guys up. I mean he seemed unable to compete against the types of players he would see in a club career in a top league but he's still young so he can do some filling out. Physicality is undersold in American soccer. It does matter. The Europeans and South Americans are bigger, faster, stronger and far ahead tactically as well.

9. Timm

Timm Member

Fc Barcelona
    United States
    Oct 6, 2017
    I agree with you. Physicality matters if you already have the skill. You need BOTH. I bring up Akinola because Ferri and him were on the same team. Akinola trialed in Europe but came back to sign for TFC because teams saw what al, of us saw - just a big athletic player with little skill. However, Ferri does have good skill and smarts. As you said, he needs to catch up physically which will happen as he is only 17

10. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

11. LamarHunting

LamarHunting Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Greuther Furth is currently in ET against BVB in the German Cup. They were leading until the last minute after a cross from Julian Green was smashed into the net. Alex Witsel scored on this debut to equalize in 95th minute. I wonder if Blaine is in the stands watching.

12. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Further confirmation.

Winoman and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  13. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also in the Greuther Furth U19 squad is rumored Yank Jamie Leweling.

15. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He turns 18 on the 29th. He's listed as with the club since August so I assume that means he was registered then (could be wrong). This would indicate some kind of EU passport as he wasn't 18 yet. But, then I would wonder why it took him so long to find a club.

17. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #17 EricSunRa, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    What league do Greuther Furth U19 play in?? I don't see them in A-Junioren-Bundesliga Süd/Südwest...

*Edit. Ahhh, I see they play in the Bayernliga - the second tier U19 league.

18. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They play in the U19 Bayernliga which is a tier below the South league

19. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    *slow clap*

20. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I guess he was able to register in the summer window. According to Fupa he has 482 minutes in 6 games and scored his first goal today.

Does anyone know how he could have registered if he turned 18 after the window closed? EU passport? Doesn't make much sense why he would take so long to find a club if he had one.

21. DanielS1085

DanielS1085 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    May 8, 2017
    http://www.bfv.de/spiel.wettbewerb.do?spiel=0242R9K10S000000VS54898EVUVF00VA
    This site is linked from Greuther's official site and the goal was scored in the u19 Bayernliga, so yes it seems he can play in official matches.

This is quite the development because I connected with his father a couple of months back and his own father said he won't be able to register until January.

He would going to Furth to train until he was 18 to get used to the environment, then would sign on/around his b-day, and start for real in January once he could be registered. Again, this is from his Blaine's own father.

I didn’t ask specifically about an EU passport. He never mentioned it and Ray seemed like a guy who knows the advantages of having one in these situations so I would strongly assume Blaine does not have one.

Educated guess from me would be that Greuther Furth found a loophole.

22. DanielS1085

DanielS1085 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    May 8, 2017

23. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thread title updated with Ferri's club name.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

25. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TxEx, bballshawn, Dr.Phil and 6 others repped this.