Black toe nail

Discussion in 'Player' started by elessar78, Dec 29, 2010.

1. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So I can't believe that I've gone this long playing soccer and never had this happen to me before. In fact, it was basketball that caused my big toe nail to get a black, blood blister underneath it. TMI??

Anyway, one is cracked and about to fall off. There is no pain, but I'm curious if I should be concerned about infection. I have a game tonight and I assume it's okay to play on/with??

2. Effington

Effington Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hey,

I am actually getting over this myself. I overextended myself awhile back and ended up with four of them!

This happened to me maybe four months ago, and all but one have healed completely. It definitely took longer than I anticipated to go away.
    That being said, I've played on it the entire time. This may have slowed the healing process, and I could probably only run 95% on it (and could feel it a little), but I don't think it's dangerous. I actually saw a podiatrist and he said not to worry about it. A google search will give you instructions as to how to "drain" it, but that didn't look like safe to try myself and with no experience.

I'd play on it, but note that it will probably extend the healing process.

3. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think it's past the point of draining. I think it's just a scab under there now.

Yeah, one of the girls I play with I showed it to her and she said she get's them all the time because she wears her cleats a half size small. When she get's home and finds out she has one, she said she heats up a sewing needle and "drills" through the toe to drain the blood. She's a bit tougher than I am though. :) ... said it takes 4 weeks for it to completely heal that way.

4. BillyGates

BillyGates Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When are we going to start adding pictures to this thread? LOL

I'm recovering from a lost big toenail that I really stubbed on a goal kick. I blame it on switching between playing on grass and artificial turf (I cracked it right across the middle on turf). I kept playing and it finally was only hanging on one side... I went to the Dr. and he cut off the rest and said I probably should have taken care of it myself. :) ... but it was my first time losing a nail... so what do I know?

Once completely off I'd just wrap a band-aid around it for extra protection in games... it took about 4 months to grow back and looks great now! Just in time for winter soccer season to start up again! :)

5. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i echo the above. first of all, we need pics of these disgusting things. :) I've done this before and you really shouldn't do any harm to it by playing. although I usually drained mine by piercing the nail to get rid of the blood underneath. that definitely made it more comfortable. and "yes", it will take longer than you expect for it to go away completely.

6. miti

miti Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm playing football for 10 years but It's just happened to me. It's the first time I got black toe nails so I need some advices. My big toe nail just started to get black and nearly half of It is now black. What should I do from now on? I continue playing on turf with my pretty snug sf 2's but I know It's gonna get worse very very soon (like 2-3 training sessions).

7. Violineb

Violineb New Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I find that if you drain it it will stay on much longer and is less likely to become a nuisance. i would recommend you take needle, burn it or dip in alcohol and then prick under the nail to drain the blister. Then, make sure you disinfect the toe area as well. Sometimes if done early enough, you can save the toenail.

I would drain it regardless. If you are trying to get it to come off faster, just soak it in warm water. May take more than one session.

8. strikerbrian

strikerbrian Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Queensbury, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This hapens to me every winter now when we go inside on the turf. It isn't painful at all, for me. Just kind of gross looking. Both big toes go black under the nail and eventually heal months later. Sometimes the nail falls off but it always grows back. No biggie. Weird that it never happened before a couple of years ago though.

9. steviferg

steviferg New Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Columbia
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad I found this thread! I just started playing again this winter (indoor on turf) after many years off, and have two hideous black toenails. I've had this happen randomly before after long periods of walking or running on pavement in bad shoes, but never expected it from soccer. Glad to hear it's not uncommon! I was afraid I'd gone wimpy in my old age or was doing something seriously wrong.

Since it isn't painful, and so far doesn't seem to be warping/deforming my toenails, I'm just letting it be. I'm female, so a few coats of dark nail polish keep it from grossing out my husband :).

10. JRForza

JRForza New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    3 seasons, 3 new toenails. Sucks but as long as you take care of the skin underneath, the new nails will grow back without any problems.

11. onalaska98

onalaska98 Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    I have this happen to both of my big toes from running lines as a ref and banging into the front of my shoes. The entire nail bed was raised and completely black under my nail, it had a ton of pressure and was quite uncomfortable even walk. I cleaned the smallest drill bit I had and then twisted it by hand through the top of each nail. instantly drained pooled blood and crap under the nail and I could run again the next day. Looked a little funny with two holes in my nails but I was back in business. I did end up losing both toenails as new nails grew in underneath.

12. Scotty_was_taken

Scotty_was_taken New Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I had a black toenail and it was NOTHING to worry about for me. my toenail grew under it and when it finally grew all the way out, lifted the dead toenail right off. No problems at all.

13. DaMiaN Baranowski

DaMiaN Baranowski New Member

Sep 5, 2017
    Hi there. I have invented toe
    pads for athletes that m protect your toes. E-mail me for enquires. I'm trying to help everyone who has this problem.

14. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I would recommend two options. One is to go see a podiatrist, who can prescribe oral lamisil for a month. Or, the better approach would be to soak your toes in cheap mouth wash, which has alcohol in it, and will prevent the toe from getting infected. I am not a big fan of draining the toe or using hot needles.