Black Rock Fans

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Soccernova78, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    Interesting article here (May require registration).

In high school I always found it to be a kind of double standard that white kids could like hip-hop and R&B and be considered cool. Yet the few Black kids who liked alternative or other types of rock were ridiculed for "acting" or "wanting to be white."

mod edit: you cannot post full-length articles.

2. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    See Douglas Martin's take on how his involvement with that piece was spun here.

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I went to a pretty well-intergrated high school and saw some of the same things you mention. Truth told, I think the most vocal critics of Black kids who don't limit themselves to one type of music are other Black kids. OTOH, they do it because they've been reared with the knowledge that those Black kids will never be be completely accepted within the rock/White community.

My parents told me early on that the overwhelming majority of White kids, no matter how openminded they appear to be, will, at some point, say or do something to reveal that they have not distanced themselves sufficiently from the culture of their parents. My living, rock-listening and playing experiences have proven this to be true. Doesn't mean I throw out my CDs; it just means I listen and proceed with extreme caution when in the company of Whites.

More later if needed.

4. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Ditto. I had black friends who liked the Cure/Smiths/etc and few of them ever got weird looks except from other black students. It was nothing vicious mind you, just a little cock eyed.

5. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    Another critique of the article here

6. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty this black rock bands thing is a new phenomenon, not.
    [​IMG]

7. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention

[​IMG]

And hell, while we're at it, how about

[​IMG]

8. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just found this site

http://www.afropunk.com/

When you get right down to it, Blacks invented rock and roll. If there had been no Little Richard, there would've never been an Elvis Presley. If there had been no Robert Johnson, there would've never been a Led Zeppelin.

9. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    This is all fine and good, but the existance of Living Color does not, by any means, signify that the black community embraces rock music nor even recognized that they practically invented it. Most black youth do NOT buy rock music nor barely even recognize it.

10. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Elvis was a hero to most
    But he never meant, shit to me you see
    Straight up racist that sucker was
    Simple and plain
    Mother ******** him and John Wayne

11. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ironically, hip hop is, when you get right down to it, rock and roll.

Discuss!

:D

I'm the King (what's up?) of ROCK!
    Who am I?
    I'm the King (of what?) of ROCK!
    WHO ARE WE?
    I'm the King (alright, never let ya down) of ROCK!
    In the end it's just a rock song
    I'm the King (alright, alright, alright) of ROCK!
    In the end it's just a rock song

Run-DMC

12. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX

And speed punk too. Bad Brains, also from DC ultra fast, high-voltage style of the mid-80's became the master copy for others with their influence.

my friend from Howard U told me that many of the kids their were into Pearl Jam. A yr later when I strode the halls of Pinchback dorm of Grambling, It wasn't unusual to hear Guns n' Roses or some other hard rock.

Mos Def's first album is punctuated by some really hard punk riffs after a freestyle. the Gravediggas also used death metal to influence their style and
    musical form. A friend turned me on to the Judgement Night soundtrack which blends hip-hop and heavy metal together for something that wouldn't really catch on till yrs later.

IMHO, it's just a maturation of the genre and a natural draw for suburban kids with mixed cultures finding their way across the internet and cable tv.

13. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just found this video of Robert Randolph and the Family Band (with Eric Krasno of Soulive) doing "Purple Haze" on Conan. I know this thread is more about fans, but since musicians have been brought up....

[youtube]i95hbPnMK-Y[/youtube]

14. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of black rock, did anyone catch Prince's Super Bowl half time show?

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Considering that half a dozen southern African Americans are the fathers of just about every music genre I love, rock being one of them, I don't understand why either side would criticize black rock fans or black rock artists...

"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon

16. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Whoever mixed that performance should be punched in the throat. All guitar and vocals, no rhythm section or keys.

17. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's kind of funny.

I teach at a high school with a 99% black student population.

I've noticed an interesting style that's developing among the girls... though it's limited.

They've taken to wearing smallish denim and leather jackets with fake jewels (ala bedazzler) on them. These have the logos of various 70s rock bands painted or printed on the backs. So far I've seen The Who and Led Zeppelin. I asked the students if they knew who the bands were, and they said they did not. They just liked the jackets. In truth, they look pretty cool.

Is there some singer who has taken to wearing these?

Don't be surprised if you start seeing young black women wearing these!

Oh... and, even though you weren't wondering... the boys have taken to wearing giant black hooded sweatshirts with big, bright skeletons and spiders on them.

I've heard they're pretty expensive.

18. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    And if John Lee Hooker never existed, George Thoroughgood would never had been able to pay his bills on time.:D

19. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or Hound Dog Taylor

20. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess this is related to this thread, but has anyone heard of Whole Wheat Bread, a black punk rock band from Jacksonville? They're not too bad.