BL MD 21: FC Koln - BvB

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by MtnGardener, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Arlo

Arlo Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    burki is shit, both goals were his fault, 1st one he couldda deflected the ball to corner or side instead of just bouncing it in front of him, 2nd one header came in from 6 yard box he shouldda claimed/cleared the ball, specially since there was no1 obstructing his way.
    we need a new goalie or atleast some healthy competition for burki

thisisthelife and kbvb repped this.
  2. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He lost the ball multiple times, despite having space couldn't move the ball forward and can rarely beat his man. He scored a crucial goal but as a player he sucks. He's scored one goal in the last 11 months despite being fielded near the apex. For the astronomical salary he earns, he's a waste of a player.

I've never said Yarmolenko sucks, at least not in general.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  3. TimBenneth

TimBenneth Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Uruguay
    May 10, 2017
    Burki is a strange conundrum. when he is on his game, he is fantastic. Sadly, he has confidence issues, and when his confidence deserts him, a chasm seems to open at the back.

Schurrle was by far the best player on the pitch yesterday. I think he has had terrible luck with injuries and has barely been given a run in the side. It will be interesting to see if he can keep up this appearance with an extended run. Yarmo is a strange one too, as he seems to let his emotions get the best of him, I think if someone can get him to keep this under control, he will improve and be more clinical.

I am really confused about the Batshuayi situation. For the life of me, I just can not understand how management can be so naive as to not insist on a compulsary buy out clause come summer. As much as I love Watzke, this decision rankles as perhaps the worst mistake he has made after the Lewandowski contract debacle ... very very dissapointing.

4. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Doubt Watzke had a choice. He needed a bonafide striker more than Chelsea needed to offload Michy. It was a take it or leave it deal and he succumbed. Perhaps there's another striker the club is looking at for the summer.

TimBenneth repped this.
  5. Quigs

Quigs Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    It was still a choice to sell Auba, who was under a long contract .
    This club has to make a statement of intent soon or we become the new Shalke

6. TimBenneth

TimBenneth Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Uruguay
    May 10, 2017
    Yes, it is possible. Conte looks to be on the outs, and I think his handling of the Batshuayi situation will certainly contribute. I suppose we will never know ...

As for the Auba situation, I think him staying was untenable. He burnt the very bridge he was standing on ... and I don't think there was any other choice but to let him go

7. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the end all parties did all right in the Auba situation. A free rental of Batshuayi is a good deal, though he'll cost a decent fee either way.

8. thisisthelife

thisisthelife Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    We definitely need a new keeper. Burki is a slightly above average one, who occasionally has bursts of greatness, but is otherwise forgettable. He should have intervened better for the first goal, for the second one he should have got to the ball (although the major error there was a team one - no man covering the far post) and there was a situation in which he clutched the ball after a cross, only to let it slip and cause chaos in the box, which luckily didn't end with a goal. It just goes to show that for the ambitions this club has, an average keeper can have a bit part role on the squad, but nothing more. Horn should be an obvious candidate, but BVB might also try to grab Trapp, seeing as how he is out of favor in PSG.

Bats will probably come good. His link-up play leaves a lot to be desired, but I reckon it will improve as time goes on and as he gets more accustomed with his teammates. The sad thing is that so far there is no indication that we will keep him permanently. I hope that BVB has some sort of plan to buy him from Chelsea (although with Watzke I automatically assume it to be an inept one).

MatthausSammer repped this.
  9. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #34 naopon, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    I think on the second goal Batshuayi lost his man on the set piece.

If anything though Bats looks like a big upgrade on Auba in link-up play and target man elements. The combination play was surprisingly creative and crisp given that he had just arrived.

On the whole Stöger really has his work cut out for him in terms of getting players to regain form. You can rightly complain about the coaches trotting out mediocrities like Sahin, Castro, and Schürrle - at the same time, you have to wonder why the likes of Weigl, Dahoud, Sokratis, and Pulisic are turning in flat performances to make these conversations a thing in the first place. The health of Reus, Götze, and Guerreiro will be a big factor in the 2nd half, but the regulars will at least have to play to their ability.

kbvb, hava and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  10. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    As the only BVB fan who genuinely loves Schürrle I must say I'm pleased he scored the winner on top of having a good game.

11. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Bild published today that the reason Michy didn't have a purchase clause is because Chelsea insisted on a buy back or exit clause in his contract. Basically the same thing Götze had in his circa 2012. And given that the club got burned badly back then this was a moot point. I mean Aki even said back then they'd never put in an exit clause in any of their contracts moving forward. BVB do have first option ie if say Juventus offers 50M for him and we match it then Chelsea will be forced to sell to us.

I dont put much stock in these contracts anyway. They're hardly worth the paper they're written on.

12. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    When he was bought I thought he would be a good addition to the squad (albeit a bit expensive for a sub.). I never really saw him as first 11 regular, but rather a rotation guy who could provide some class and quality late on if a goal was needed or a player needed a rest. Tuchel seemed to use him that way and I thought it worked out fine. I don't know if he can hold a starting job, but yesterday he looked to be regaining some form.

It is going to be an interesting run in this year as Dortmund could finish anywhere from a CL spot to out of Europe altogether. It could easily become a matter of which of six or so teams crack under the pressure.

13. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Not his best game. But to me it looked like his diving header set up a goal? Or did he not actually make contact? I meant to go back and watch a replay, but that is how I saw it real-time.

14. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Watching some other BL games puts it in perspective, though. Did you see both goalies in Schalke vs. Bremen? At least it isn't just Burki.