BL MD 10: BVB - Wolfsburg

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by hava, Nov 2, 2019.

1. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Hitz
    LP Akanji Hummels Guerreiro
    Weigl Dahoud
    Hakimi Brandt Hazard
    Reus

Interesting lineup, I suppose some players got a rest. Bürki, Sancho, Witsel, Paco and Götze among those who are on the bench. We'll see during the game who plays on the striker position.

2. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Tough game. Reus had to get subbed out early. Many late tackles by Wolfsburg.
    Our offense is good enough to create separation on the wings but Alcacer is missing in the center to do something with it. Wolfsburg was closer to a goal than we were.

Bayern got a red card and is behind against Frankfurt but they also managed to score with 10 men.

3. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Hazard scores the 1:0.

4. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Guerreiro with a very nice, precise finish to make it 2:0. Suddenly, Wolfsburg isn't able to defend anymore.

5. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    we look better with Reus off.. cant believe I am saying that.

6. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    We didn't look better immediately after Reus came off as our attack ceased to exist. We only looked better after taking the lead, gaining confidence and getting more space. But yes, our football looked good after the 1:0. We should have already scored the 3:0, instead Wolfsburg came close. This game isn't over.

7. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    how does an attack look better after taking a lead? I mean really wouldnt the attack have had to look better to actually score the first goal?

8. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    You don't think we looked better and played with more confidence after the lead? And the lead wasn't the result of some nifty offensive combination or powerplay from our side. Long ball from Hitz and a fast opening pass set it up.

9. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Of course I do.. but Reus went off then we scored... After he went off we looked better.. I love Reus and he is the face of the club but so far this year he hasnt looked great.

10. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Next game in the league against Bayern without Boateng, Süle and probably Hernandez. Maybe they'll get another red card to give us a chance. What I don't want is another humiliation that is decided after 20 minutes.
    Bayern always found another gear against us and they need a response after today's result. Who knows whether Kovac will still be there. He himself didn't sound very confident about that anymore.

11. Jiri Havran

Jiri Havran Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Oslo
    Club:
    Shanxi Baorong
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    2nd half was one of the best performances in 2019. It should be like that all the time, even if we from time to time drop points

12. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Yes! This was the first time we play good football in a while! It helped to have Dahoud and Weigl in the middle, and Brandt continue his good form. I hope we carry this confidence with us for the next games! It's really what can help us play this type of football.

I would have left Dahoud for the rest of the game just to give him some confidence since he's been sitting a lot on the bench. (Klopp would agree with me on this one because he understand players ;) )

Hakimi is having a great season, and is being great source of creativity! I'm also happy for Thorgan's goal. This will give him some confidence.

Overall I can't think of any player who played bad. Gotze still needs to catch up on form, rhythm and understanding with other players. It's the same story every season. Although, this season, I would have played him more often from the start of the season, bringing him at the 60th or 70th regularly to give Reus a break. So I'm not blaming him.

13. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bayern are at their worst in many years, this season is a huge opportunity for Dortmund to win the BL. I doubt there will be a much better chance then this.

14. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Im just not a Goetze guy. I cant quite figure out where he fits in best in Favre choices. He isnt a striker and doesnt possess any pace at all. Just seems to be running around out there not doing much in my eyes.

He is taking up a ton of salary refusing to take a pay cut and frankly needs to just move on.

15. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Götze should be a 10 that puts others in good positions. He has the eyes and technical ability for nifty passes that you don't see in the other players. He should have been the cover for Reus and not Alcacer or at times played as the 10 together with Reus on the wing/striker last season to get the most out of the players' abilities when a strong second winger besides Sancho wasn't available. Even when he was used as a striker, he was still rather someone who set up plays for the other guys. Besides, it was also his workload that set up the stage for Alcacer to come in and take advantage of a tired defense.
    Nowadays it seems that more dynamic players like Reus and Brandt are preferred on the 10.
    But yes, he should accept the paycut if he wants to continue playing here. If he leaves, we should go all in on Havertz although it appears he hasn't found his highest level yet this season.

16. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    I'm not a big fan either, but I have had more respect/sympathy for him because:
    1) It looks like he worked his butt off last season to regain his form and fit with the team
    2) He hasn't been played in his preferred/best position, which is the #10

I just never thought that bringing him back was the right move, but that's not his fault.