BL Match 2: VfB Stuttgart vs FSV Mainz, Aug 26 [R]

Discussion in 'VfB Stuttgart' started by el americano, Aug 25, 2017.

1. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VfB Stuttgart vs FSV Mainz
    Bundesliga
    Saturday, August 26, 3:30 PM
    Mercedes-Benz Arena

Injured:
    Grgic, Ginczek, Insua (VfB), Sverko, Hack, Gbamin, Bussmann, Huth (FSV)

Referee: Benjamin Brand

TV:
    SKY Sports 3:30 PM
    FuboTV, Fox Soccer Plus
    VfBTV after the match

The home opener is here. We're on level footing with Mainz as they lost their first match as well. Maxim has come back to haunt us, or so he will be hoping. Although VfB were not poor against Hertha, we're looking to get more touches for Terodde and perhaps try yet another left back. Baumgartl's return should free up Pavard. So maybe we'll try him over there. Early days, so I don't know what to expect, but we're favorites according to the bookies. Let's get out of 16th place.

Winoman repped this.
  2. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-0 VfB, as of the 67th minute, thanks to a header by Badstuber! Now, if only he will stay healthy!

el americano repped this.
  3. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 1-0 score holds up. VfB with their first win of the season! It's a little troubling that the strikers haven't scored yet, but maybe Terrode is only a B2 level striker?

4. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we're not creating chances for him. There was a breakaway by Akolo where Terodde joined the run, but the short pass to him was way behind him. I was impressed that he was able to adjust at all. Our crossing is poor and neither Akolo or Mangala seems to provide what Mane was able to. I hope somebody is able to fill the #10 role soon.

Was impressed by Badstuber before his goal. I suppose he not as fast and strong as his glory days, but he's very confident in possession and directs the line like a general. He makes us better, and he handled having Kaminski on his side at left back. It was amusing to see how stiff the big guy was out of position, but we need a speedy recovery from Insua.

gmonsoon43 and Winoman repped this.
  5. gmonsoon43

gmonsoon43 Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was able to catch the highlights. Terode missed a penalty that would have sealed the game and it almost cost points as Zieler was forced into a good save later on.

Hopefully Badstuber can stay healthy. Agree that he likely isn't the same player physically, but I guess that is the benefit of being a defender. As a defender I feel you can cope with a loss of pace much more than other positions. Hopefully he can provide some leadership and knowledge to the young defenders on the team.

el americano and Winoman repped this.
  6. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By accounts from the press, and twitter/reddit, Badstuber was doing exactly that. He was directing Baumgartl & Kaminski, and generally being a coach (as well as defender) on the pitch. Now everyone, say your prayers so he stays healthy!

el americano repped this.
  7. gmonsoon43

gmonsoon43 Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least we don't have to worry about him playing on international duty.

Winoman repped this.