Birth Year Movement?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by GKParent, Jan 4, 2013.

1. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    December 05 in Ohio would have played 6v6.
    now that you mention it....not sure where I got that info from. '05's play 9v9, not 11v11. May have been from a parent of an '05 at our new club that has historically played their teams up a year in the ONorth state league as the level of competition is well..terrible.

2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    This makes ZERO sense. Everyone progresses. No one is being 'left back' to repeat an age group. Some kids get accelerated a bit, but as I've said, all age groups as we have previously known them become approx 5 months younger.

Timbuck repped this.
  3. The Stig

The Stig Member

Jun 28, 2016
    No, you are over thinking this. The older kids from the younger group could be A team players that are pretty advanced and the younger kids from the older kids could be B team or bench players.

Regardless, in most cases you are not going to see a insurmountable gap.

4. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think it makes some sense…maybe not the whole “left back” part, but certainly a bit of catching up by some of the younger players may have to do…

Assuming everyone starts playing at relatively the same age/time…as new teams are formed under this new age calendar, you have some kids with x number or years of experience/training, while many have x-1…yes, they may only be a few months apart in age, but playing/experience-wise, there could very easily be a full years difference…now, maybe this difference doesn’t amount to much, or maybe it means more at certain ages vs others…I don’t know…but I am certainly seeing it practice on my son’s U15 team…

The older 03’s, who played U13 last year, are overall more experienced and developed then the younger 03’s who played U12 last year…and why wouldn’t that be expected; they have literally, or at least theoretically, had a whole year’s worth more soccer under their belt…

5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    No. The expectations and perhaps curriculum will need to change as the players of the age group are now (and forever will be) younger than those 'same' age groups in the past.

No one should be playing the same age group again if we are talking single year. Everyone moves up. If they are multiple year groups (13 & 14's) then nothing has changed. Those kids that are 'repeating' this year were only there due to being either advanced/ or ease of making teams for a particular club.

6. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    The league that I coach in (and have kids playing in) did not make the switch yet. We are part of the AYSO Extra program. The local club team leagues have all made the switch.
    A few stories:
    1. My gu10 team is made up of 2 girls born in 2006 and 7 girls born in 2007. Under the old (school year) age grouping, we were a pretty young team. Most of our 07 players were born in May/June/July. We had a rough spring season playing against 06/07 (school year) teams. Most of them are made up of 06 players born in Sept, Oct, November. We purposely didn't take on any more 06 players so that we are ready for next year when we go to Birth Year. We didn't play any summer tournaments because we didn't want to get crushed by all 06 teams.
    There is a team a year younger than us that is made up of 07 and 08 players. They played in 2 tournaments this summer as an 07 team. They had 2 of our 07 players join them as guest players. These 2 players were the most dominant players on the field (for either team). There was a noticeable difference when they were sitting out. It's not so much that they are "better", but they've had 1 more year of soccer. They are a grade older in school. And they have been playing against older ( and bigger, faster, stronger) players. These 2 players have May and June birthdays. They are on the youngest end of the school year age groups. But in the true Birth Year set up, they are slightly on the older half of the age band. This group will break up after the Fall season and move onto/into 06 and 07 teams.
    2. My Gu12 team. Same league set up. We are 9 girls born in 2005. And 5 born in 2004. We did well last Fall and Spring. We played in a tournament recently as an "04" team. Against teams that are 100% born in 2004. 5 of my 2005 players are born in May. They fall on the young end of the School Year age group. When playing a pure 04 team, these girls are 17 months younger than the possible oldest player (born in January 2004) on the opposing team. And at the closest, they are 5 months younger than a player born in December 2004. This team was able to hang with the 04 teams. We were 1-1-1 in the tournament. We played in the 2nd flight of the tournament. Our 05 girls would look really, really good in an all 05 league. But the plan is for this team to stick together. For these girls, it's more than just about soccer. Super close group of girls and the chance that some of them quit playing soccer if they aren't together is pretty high. Funny part is that some of the 05 girls have hit a growth spurt and some haven't yet. My daughter used to be the smallest kid on the team. Last year she weighed about 70 pounds. At a recent doctor appointment, she weighed in at 92. She's lean and fast. And her new size has given her a ton on confidence (She used to be a bit scared on the field). The younger girls that are still waiting to grow are about 65 pounds.

7. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I'm trying to find in the text you quoted where I said anything about being "left back"

I thought the school analogy was pretty clear.

You have a curriculum (1)for 04/old 05. That entire group, absent a change, would progress to a new, more complicated curriculum (2)the following year, and the young 05, old 06's would progress into curriculum (1)

The next year, you need a curriculum for old 05/young 05. If you use curriculum (2), the young 05's aren't ready. If you use curriculum (1), the old 05's aren't really learning anything new.

Not earth shattering...but part of progressing and developing young players is providing an appropriate challenge when they're ready.

8. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #733 mwulf67, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    It not about playing the same age group again…it's about regrouping kids with different years of experience…yes, all 03 kids today are U14, but the older kids with more experience (former U13) will likely outpace or be more advanced then the younger kids with less (former U12)…at least initially…

9. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    But all the 05's have progressed. No one is staying static. When they all arrive the curiculum that they are to receive needs to be adjusted from that of prior groups because overall the group is now younger than what it once was. 6th grade or U-13 or whatever example you want to use is no longer what the previous definition was.

10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    And next year it is completely forgotten. Old people worrying about kids playing. The kids will adapt just fine and next year everything is back to a new normal.

11. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    You're still not getting it. Frankly not really interested in further clarifying my point.

12. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Absolutely! I am not saying it’s a big deal or that it won’t work itself out rather quickly…I am not worried about shit; just trying to help point out something that some of us are seeing and that others of struggling to comprehend, and basically calling us idiots in the process…

13. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    In many leagues, clubs have different tiers.
    So for the older 05s, who played u-11 last year, they'll make up the majority of the "A" team.
    The "B" team will be a couple of older 05s and mostly younger 05 (that played 9v9, 8v8 or 7v7 ). If there's a "C" team, then those are almost all younger 05s.

14. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You’re basically saying the same thing…just repackaging it in terms of a A/B/C team scenario…

15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    You're not clarifying anything. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill. The age shift is no big deal (unless you love the team you are on/have a kid on/coach and are selfish and want to keep it together.

16. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    At least now maybe you’re admitting the mole hill actually exists…I call that progress…

17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    its a change. Some people can't handle change.

18. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It was a simple observation to that change…your reaction to it has been completely out of proportion and over the top; casting aspersions and drawing conclusions without merit…you continue to read more into than what is actually being said…

19. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very small sample size of what I saw from this weekend

Teams thinking that they could keep teams together and just move up an age did not fair so well especially in the 04/05/06 girls brackets.

20. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    My daughter is a younger 05 - 1 of 4 on a team with very capable older 05's.

There is a big difference in maturity on the field but the younger one's are cacthing on fast.

I sat down with her and explained that even though she missed a year, that she'll learn more from them than she would staying with her old team - and that she needs to listen to those older players as if they were another coach.

As I mentioned before - this (so far) has been the best experience for any of my kids in nearly 20 years! Call it luck of the draw or selfeshness but I could not be more pleased with what I am seeing on the field.

21. The Stig

The Stig Member

Jun 28, 2016
    But nobody "missed a year". They are simply called something else and are playing with some different kids.

After 20 years I think you are simply looking at it wrong. If you just walked into travel soccer as a U9 this year or next year it would just be what it is and everyone will just move on. You can't look at the "older kids" on your team as anything different. They are all 05's now. Whatever they were last does not matter.

22. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Well according to what the rule was - yes we did skip a year.

I sure can look at them differently because they play differently - so far. Day and night.

Now they were in a bracket higher than ours last year and had a completely different coach - I did neglect to mention that for sure. For those reasons - their level of play is different.

23. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #748 mwulf67, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    Assuming everyone starts at the same time, the older kids will have a whole years’ worth more experience/training/development…maybe it makes a noticeable difference, maybe it doesn’t; its probably somewhat age dependent……on my son’s U14 team, there is a somewhat noticeable gap between the older 03s, who were U13 last year, and the younger 03s, who were U12 last year…its nothing that won’t work itself out eventually, but right now, its noticeable…

24. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I would add that my kid very tall for her age - towered over her team over the last 3 seasons. Now she looks tiny - not as tall and too skinny - but she's not wafer thin.

So size is absolutely noticable this year between younger and older 05's.

Not sure if anyone else is seeing that however.

25. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I agree - I am confident the younger ones will work it out as well - so nothing to worry about.