Birmingham USL team?

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by Bisquick_in_da_MGM, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
  2. Duke Kickass

Duke Kickass Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Pinellas County, FLA
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Birmingham really going to get a pro soccer team?

Hey, their "team" website sells scarves, so the answer must be a resounding "yes"!

3. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Atlanta joins MLS, Birmingham I'm sure would be on their shortlist of ideal cities to have as a USL affiliate. But I doubt they'll get a team until then.

4. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think when the new owners bought the league I thought it was mentioned that they had the USL rights for both Atlanta and Birmingham. Does anyone else remember that or can find the link?

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember that.

Here's the link:
    http://www.uslsoccer.com/home/359940.html

6. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But what does that mean? Would they prevent a group from starting a team in Birmingham at the detriment to the league they own? Doesn't make sense.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It means nurock, which owns USL can at any time start a franchise there at no cost. Also means they can sell it.

8. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Let's have some big ups for Bisquick! I think something is up. I was hoping for NASL team. It will be good to see if Birmingham can support a team. It will be good for Legion Field to go back to grass.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless I missed something, there is no news here. The news about the Hammers is old and nothing in that Rant Sports article seems to indicate anything has changed for those who formed the Hammers last year.

Also is Bisquick a nickname for Birmingham or did you just ask us to give you props for starting this news cycle?

10. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Yes. I asked for my proper respect for starting the news cycle. Go Bisquick, go Bisquick!!

oneeyedfool repped this.
  11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Calm down skipper. You didn't report anything.

oneeyedfool and Bluesfan repped this.
  12. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I know. I was just putting it out there. Don't be a buzz kill. I have a real question. What is the USL-MLS partnership all about? Is it like the USL team is the minor league team for the MLS team? Does the MLS team send players down the the USL if they are hurt or don't do well? Does it mean that USL will become the D2 league above the NASL? Or, does it really mean anything? Thanks for the answers.

13. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By 2015, every MLS team is supposed to have an affiliation with a USL Pro team. It will replace the reserve league, which MLS felt was not giving young players enough meaningful games.

The most basic rule is that affiliation will require the MLS club to have 4 players on loan to the USL affiliate. But clubs are also free to cooperate on technical matters, coaching and marketing. Some MLS clubs also intend to go further than mere affiliation, but rather will create and operate their own USL Pro franchises.

Anyway, the purpose of the partnership for MLS is for USL Pro to become a development tool; a bridge from the academy/college to the first team; a great way for prospects to get playing time. From USL's perspective, it means clubs will be receiving players whose salaries are subsidized by MLS, as well as coaching and front office assistance. The agreement will also result eventually in the size of USL Pro roughly doubling, which will allow the league to cut travel costs by having regionalized divisions.

But it is not the intention of the partnership to boost USL Pro to be a 2nd division league. I don't think the league really cares about that. 2nd division or 3rd division, it doesn't really matter if the league is poorly run, capitalized and attended, with teams frequently folding. Having MLS teams supporting USL Pro franchises will help improve the stability, on the field quality and off the field professionalism of the league.

ThePonchat and SoccerPrime repped this.
  14. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Thanks for the answers. It would seem that Birmingham and Atlanta would be good partners. I think you drive between the two in about 3 hours. Maybe the Atl MLS team is going to have their USL affiliate ready to go. Or maybe Birmingham is going to get a team to fill out regional play in the South. I just want Birmingham to get a team.

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is, in theory, what Orlando is doing. They are moving their USL franchise to Louisville when the move to MLS.

16. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here's one of many articles about the partnership. The deal was signed January 2103.
    http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/...vid-beckham-sporting-kansas-city-orlando-city

17. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The Hammers are going to have an announcement tomorrow. I think it is going to be about the game in March. Maybe we will find out who is going to play.

18. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing major...Atlanta Razorbacks are playing UAB this spring. Meh.

19. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    It wasn't major. But, a large crowd needs to show up.

20. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You just did. o_O

21. Soccerfan711

Soccerfan711 New Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    The USL is now based out of Tampa, FL. The league is still in talks with B'ham Hammer organizers who are still seeking out potential investors. The league is very interested in the Hammers obtaining a franchise there soon.

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI The League has been in HQed in Tampa for at least 10 years. probably more. The current owners though, NuRock, are based out of Atlanta. They are also the ones with the rights to the Atlanta and Birmingham USL Pro markets.

23. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
  24. jlove

jlove New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    #24 jlove, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least since 1996 and possibly as early as 1994. But certainly since 1996.