Birmingham Roll Call - 3/30/05

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by rksehga, Mar 23, 2005.

1. rlo127

rlo127 New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    wheaton, md
    We'll be flying in Wednesday morning, so nope :( BUT would like to know where the party will be after the game. I asked this question in another post about where are the good clubs there.

2. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What exactly are you looking for? Bar? Dance club? High end? Low end?

3. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's great news.

4. rlo127

rlo127 New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    wheaton, md
    bar/dance. My 18 yr old bro will be w/us so somewhere he can get into. Or if there are any meetups after the game we'd be interested....

5. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    not exactly a great scenic drive.

6. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was never much into the dance scene. The only three dance places I can think of off the top of my head are CHAOS, BELL BOTTOMS, and TIKI BOB'S...they're all fairly close together if you have a car. You'll need to call them when you get into town because I don't know what their age policies are. I think it varies depending on night of the week.

There's nothing formally organized for post-game, but people are just generally planning on milling around Five Points South where a lot of bars/clubs are. I will probably head to THE GARAGE or BAILEY'S. A lot of people like DAVE'S, THE BARKING KUDU, THE ARENA (more of a sports bar), THE BLUE MONKEY (martini bar), ASSAGIO. There's all kinds of stuff around Five Points South.

7. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interstates never are regardless of location.

8. rlo127

rlo127 New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    wheaton, md
    where/what is five points south??

9. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's one of the main bar/club/restaurant areas in Birmingham. It's named that because five streets converge in one spot. The hub of it is around 20th Street South and say around 12th Avenue South. It's very easy to find. Your hotel should be able to give you directions.

There's all kinds of stuff around: Indian food, sushi bars, high end dining, sports bars, music clubs, theatres, parks, etc.

When you see this church and fountain, you've found it. Just find somewhere to park in the fun little maze of one way streets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. rlo127

rlo127 New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    wheaton, md
    Awesome, thanks :)

11. TheBritAbroad

TheBritAbroad New Member

Feb 17, 2005
    Dothan, AL
    We need somewhere in 5 points south to watch this game in the afternoon. We're driving up from Dothan that morning and staying at the Pickwick.

12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'll have to call around. I highly doubt there will be a bar in 5 Points with that on when you walk in...it's something you're going to have to ask for. The Arena is probably the best bet (as it's a sports bar) and I have no idea if they're even open at that time of day.

13. TheBritAbroad

TheBritAbroad New Member

Feb 17, 2005
    Dothan, AL
    Just called the Arena and it doesn't open until 5.00pm :(

14. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not suprising, a lot of 5 Points doesn't get started until night time.

15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sabor Tropical probably has the Fox Soccer Channel, but they take siesta around 2:00-2:30 so you couldn't finish the game.....

You may want to try P.T.'s in Homewood (though they've never been particularly soccer friendly) or Tommy's Up Top which is pretty far out from the Pickwick, but I have heard about English people congregating there to watch England.

16. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    The Arena opens at 5pm - strike one

The Burly Earl laughed at me - strike two

On Tap Sports Cafe doesn't have it, but I am talking to manager in the morning about ordering it -- strike two and a half

Dreamland says they have it, but doesn't make lunchtime reservations, and the TVs are small. But if I get a good count of how many want to watch, they can make some accomodations (and the visitors should really try these ribs!)

Post if you wanted to watch Eng v. Az on Wed at lunch. It will either be at On Tap, at Dreamland, or on your own, or something that someone else comes up with, depending (in part) on what happens when I talk to "Mike" at On Tap in the morning.

17. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That can't be overemphasized.

18. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I-70 between Denver and Grand Junction.

I-40 between Newport, TN & Asheville, NC.

But that's another thread.

19. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exceptions to the rule Mr. Literalist! :) ;)

20. MinnesotaScouser

Mar 29, 2005
    St Paul, Minnesota
    I'm officially a first time poster here, but I've enjoyed being a regular reader of these boards for the last 5 years. I think this will be my 17th "cap" standing with Sam's Army or the US Supporters section going back to 1997 when I watched the US-Canada qualifier at Stanford Stadium.

I've met a lot of you before. I'm Charlie C from Minnesota. Me and T Donovan are headed down to Birmingham and looking forward to partying with all of you. We'll be staying at the Raddison in the 5 points south area. We're going to not get in until Wed am, so will miss the Tues pregame gathering but am looking forward to watching the England match at Dreamland or the other place, doing some tailgating, and then celebrating kicking Guatemala's a** at a drinking establishment somewhere in the 5 Points area.

Looking forward to my first trip to Birmingham and meeting all of you.

21. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I am getting so jacked for this! In my friggin city(the football capital of the south)!

22. zorak303

zorak303 New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    New Orleans
    dammit...i already am having problems sleeping.

it'll be my first trip to see the USMNT play...and near my old hometown in alabama as well.

got 2 or 3 others from New Orleans coming up with me...looking forward to drinking, going nuts, and watching us thrash Guatemala!!

23. MelH

MelH Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Kalispell
    I-90 between Missoula and Spokane.

I dont know who's more jacked - me or my kids! Our first WCQ - we're ready! They started packing (packing? it's a 2 day dash to AL & back!!! sigh -they're girls....) yesterday, asking if they can wear each other's 'outfits'! LOL! :D

I dug through my closet, got my brightest red shirt out and am ready to leave... Oh wait - that's tomorrow.... today I gotta go to work... :(

24. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    After 5 years of lurking, this is your post? This thread drew you to a response? In the past 5 years, no other topic compelled you to interject this little pearl of your wisdom? a nugget of your knowledge? a witty response to a troll? :D j/k!

Looking forward to seeing the Mn boys! These guys are at every USNT game (always travelling) since Minn doesn't get to host many games. A lot of respect!

I'm in for the eng/azz game (though I believe that it will be over by HT)!

Getting on the plane this afternoon, check in at Residence Inn then on to Mellow Mushroom!

25. SoccerRedNeck

SoccerRedNeck New Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Tennessee
    Driving down from Chatanooga area on Wednesday w/ two first timers. Looking for a good place to hang out at the bar, or tailgate. From above posts, sounds a little unclear about which bar is showing the England match. Just want to kick back throw down a few before the game. Can't wait to see the game and a US victory!