Birmingham Hammers

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by Bisquick_in_da_MGM, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The Birmingham Hammers will start play in 2016! Hammer Down!!

2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BIRMINGHAM HAMMERS JOIN THE NPSL
    The National Premier Soccer League (NPSL) is proud to announce that the Birmingham Hammers (Birmingham, AL) has joined the league as an expansion team. The club will compete in the South Region’s Southeast Conference.
    [​IMG]“Birmingham is a tremendous soccer market,” NPSL Chairman Joe Barone commented. “We are thrilled to have the Hammers as our league’s newest expansion team. They are joining an incredible conference in a region that is experiencing great success on and off the field.”
    The club is led by a number of individuals, including President/GM Morgan Copes and Executive VP/Co-Founder John Killian.
    Copes has played collegiately, semi-professionally, and has his USSF “B” License. Copes is also the former assistant to the GM of the Dallas/Ft. Worth Tornados. Copes manages the day-to-day operations for the organization and leads both executive and board meetings.
    Killian currently works at Soccer 365, Inc., a subsidiary of World Soccer Shop, in sports marketing and branding. Killian uses his knowledge to maintain strong brand recognition for the Hammers, assists in marketing efforts and handles the announcing during home matches.
    “We chose the NPSL because we felt it gave us the best opportunity to be successful both on and off the field while playing regional opponents,” Copes added. “It’s going to be wonderful to begin to establish some regional rivalries with some nearby cities.’
    The Hammers will play home matches at Sicard Hollow Athletic Complex, a venue that provides an intimate atmosphere for the fans and players. It holds around 2,000 and was the home of the Hammers during their 2015 season.
    “We will offer yet another professional atmosphere in a major market of a power conference in the NPSL,” Copes concluded. “Chattanooga has been incredibly successful over the past few years and the rise of Nashville FC has been truly amazing. We hope to replicate the success of these two organizations both on and off the field.”
    More information about the Hammers can be found at www.birminghamhammers.com or by following the club on Twitter (@bhamhammers), Instagram (@bhamhammers), and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/BhamHammers).

3. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I heard that Little Rock joined NPSL. If they are in the Southeast Conference, it is the place for Southern Soccer.

4. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    #5 chungachanga, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    I think the logo has too much stuff happening. It's a mess, just my opinion. Half of a sun, half of a ball, half of a gear, hammers and shield edges also partially hidden by other stuff, just so many details that are cut off and not fully shown. Too much stuff.

Plus it looks Soviet, although maybe that's what the creators were going for.

I remember an earlier version in one of Atlanta threads maybe a year ago, probably it was a fan idea, it also had hammers and the same color scheme. As far as I remember, it was prettier than this one. It also looked Soviet, but it was cleaner.

5. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I think the colors are from the Birmingham City flag. But yeah. It's busy. I would be happy with Vulcan on the crest. That's just me.

6. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.npsl.com/news_article/show/622110?referrer_id=2168389

BBVA Compass announced today that it is now the title sponsor of the Birmingham Hammers, the newest addition to the National Premier Soccer League, putting another of the bank's visible stamps on efforts to bring the world's most popular sport to the city.

Bisquick_in_da_MGM repped this.
  9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://midfieldpress.com/2017/01/02...-club-taps-into-birminghams-soccer-potential/

In March 2014, Morgan Copes helped organize a friendly between the Atlanta Silverbacks and UAB that drew 2057. There were rumors at the time that the struggling Silverbacks NASL franchise might relocate to Birmingham, however that never came to pass. Without a pro team moving into town, Morgan Copes and his partners took matters into their own hands and created the Birmingham Hammers soccer club, which started play in 2016 in the National Premier Soccer League.

Just one season in, the Hammers are off to a good start. They have attracted BBVA as a shirt sponsor, and have a supporters group with the Magic City Brigade. Playing in suburban Birmingham, they draw 700-800 fans to a typical NPSL match, and as much as 1500 when they play a local rival such as Chattanooga FC. On the field, they performed as expected for an expansion club and look to make a bigger impact on the NPSL Southeast Conference next season.

Midfield Press was able to speak with Morgan Copes, President and Co-Founder of the Birmingham Hammers to discuss the club’s past, present and future.

10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States