Birmingham, AL: USA vs. Guatemala WCQ Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by nicodemus, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MD20/20

MD20/20 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Hampton Inn, mostly
    Two words: Gene Hallman.

Gene and the rest of the Alabama Sports Foundation are big soccer event supporters, and they worked hard to get a WCQ this time around. The package they put together for USSF for national team events is pretty attractive.

2. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

last time through, they trained at legion field... press only

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

well.... i meant for a breakfast place

4. MD20/20

MD20/20 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Hampton Inn, mostly
    During past events (men and women) both teams trained in a closed session on the day before the match at Legion Field.

My guess is that where and how much training is done depends on several things, namely whether the Mexico game is on Saturday or Sunday (has that been decided?), when the team and staff will arrive, where the team ends up staying, how much Shelby County is going to participate in the event, and what outside activities are dictated by sponsor obligations of USSF and players. (That last one is bigger than I ever realized.)

If they stay out 280 in the Inverness area, the 1996 Fields are a lot more convenient than UAB. (Not that I'm biased or anything.)

5. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Mexico game is on Sunday.

6. andrewt14

andrewt14 Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Atlanta
    I'll be driving from Atlanta as well.

Let me know if you want to carpool/caravan. I'll try to get a group together.

Thanks for all the info, nico and pvan

7. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    For those who asked...

..I work for a sports statistics company. Because of various client obligations, we covered the XFL, but we didn't have a reporter in Birmingham, so I flew down for the first game.

Fast forward to week 3...the XFL was pissed at their official statistician, we took over, and I ended up seeing all 5 games in Birmingham (plus 2 in Memphis, 1 in Orlando, and 1 in New Jersey). And got paid a nice sum to do it.

Moral of the story: I'm the only person in the world who wishes the XFL survived. Sure they were going bankrupt, but I profited nicely.

And I grew to really like Birmingham, which I think is a very underrated town, even if I didn't sample the nightlife very much because of travel times.

8. kal-el

kal-el New Member

Aug 17, 2000
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What sort of attractions are there in the Birmingham area? I'm having a hard time justifying the cost and three vacation days if there's not much else to do while I'm in town. Thanks.

9. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Um, if you're a NASCAR fan, Talledega is just a short drive away?

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you interested in and I can perhaps point you in the right direction.

If you're into hiking, horeback riding, mountain biking, canoeing, golf, etc, Oak Mountain State Park is about 15 miles outside of the city. It's a 10,000 acre park.

The museum is quite good if you're into that sort of thing.
    Birmingham Museum of Art

Of course, there's all of the civil rights era stuff.
    Birmingham Civil Rights Institute, which is right across from the 16th Street Baptist Church of the infamous Birmingham church bombing.

So far, all of the stuff I've listed is either free, or just about free. Birmingham's businesses have heavily subsidized the arts, parks, etc. to where a lot of the stuff is free or just token amounts to get in (Oak Mtn. Park is $2 admission.)

If you're into baseball, the oldest baseball stadium in America is in Birmingham, Rickwood Field.

If you like playing golf, the RTJGT public courses in Alabama are supposedly pretty awesome, Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail. There's two RTJGT courses in B'ham I believe.

There are some amazing restaurants there of every variety.

Like I said, let me know what you might be interested in doing, and I can point you in a better direction.

11. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talladega is about 60 miles away.

12. kal-el

kal-el New Member

Aug 17, 2000
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm your basic stereotypical tourist type: museums, historical sites, etc. Thanks for the information.

13. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm also a big fan of the free public gardens: Birmingham Botanical Gardens

It's conceivable by that time of year that far south that the cherry blossoms at in the Japanese garden could be blooming too, which is awesome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know they don't have them daily, but the Sloss Furnace Museum does a metal casting demo thing that's supposed to be pretty cool. A bunch of artists have been granted workspace at this old blast furnace in exhange for them teaching people about metal arts.

14. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for such a great response. Congrats to Birmingham and I hope that they do an awesome job hosting the WCQ. From your post, I think they will do great.

15. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Places you should eat

Milo's

Guthrie's

These are local chains but they are damn good. More later.

16. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the Southside/5 Points area, some of my favorite eateries are:

Dreamland - ribs
    Taj India - Indian
    Sabor Tropical - Mexican & Peruvian
    Surin West - Thai (not my favorite Thai place in B'ham, that's way out in the 'burbs, but Surin will do the trick.)
    Mellow Mushroom - pizza (Mellow Mushroom is a "chain" mainly throughout the South, but each one is independently owned and operated...and there's usually only one per town.)
    Pita Stop Cafe - Lebanese/Middle Eastern

For higher end dining:
    Highlands Bar & Grill
    Bottega
    Hot & Hot Fish Club
    Chez Fon Fon

For a restaurant that offers only vegetarian and vegan fare:
    Golden Temple Restaurant and Grocery

These are just my 5 Points South tips. Will provide others later for Lakeview and other parts of the city.

17. rkeane15

rkeane15 New Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Now that you mention it, YES.

18. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Love that place! It's beautiful. I have pics of me on that bridge :) Another cool place to go (especially if you like history) is Vulcan Park. They have a really nice small museum inside. A lot of stuff about the steel and iron industries, segregation, etc. And Vulcan's buttcheeks are amazing! :D

19. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had my wedding reception at the Botanical Gardens :)

I can't believe I forgot that one. :p

re: Vulcan's butt: local singer/songwriter Michael Levine (who now lives in Atlanta) wrote this hilarious song about Vulcan for a compilation CD whose proceeds were to go to the Vulcan restoration project. My favorite line is:

"His feet are 12 feet long and 8 feet wide / suggesting that his skirt has much to hide." :D

Vulcan is the largest iron statue in the world, and you can get a great view of the city from up there. It's cool at night.

Oh yeah, it's "Vulcan" by the way, not "the Vulcan" as it is almost always referred to by non-natives.

20. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on guys, are USA supporters really such big YUPPIES that they visit botanical gardens when following the team?

If I were able to go to Birmingham, I'd want to know where the closest hotel is and where the closest pub is. And that's it! Oh wait no, and where the strip clubs are also. ;)

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, someone asked for typical tourist type of stuff, so that's what I gave 'em. Not only that, some people travel with their families and want a little more family atmosphere.

The pub stuff is coming. I'm putting together a bar and restaurant list for just about every part of town. We've got three months to post the info. It'll be up in due time.

22. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Meanwhile, you're looking for a "pub" in Birmingham AL, and you're NOT a yuppie?

23. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, I'd definitely like to join you, but I don't thinking diaper changing goes over well on a bar next to strangers. I'm eager from my two little tadpoles to get their first caps this coming March. Believe me, if it were just me, I'd throw back quite a few with you. Maybe in Germany. Or DC if they get a WCQ. :)

Not to change the subject, but at work today, I emailed six or eight people I know who have a slight (perhaps feigned for my sake) interest in soccer. I told them about the Birmingham match being convenient to our area and that they should make the effort. Had a couple respond positively.

You know, I take great pride in knowing that when soccer is, say, the second most popular sport in the US twenty years from now, it's pioneers like us who cut the trail. :cool:

24. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    I guess, then, that only "YUPPIES" can afford to go?

25. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    At the last qualifier in Columbus I stayed at the hotel closest to the bar in the Brewery District where the Sammers gathered. The next day I visited the Manet exhibit at the local art museum. In DC earlier this year I stayed within stagger back to my room distance of the nightclubs on Connecticut Ave, but managed to take in the new WWII Memorial and the Air and Space Museum. Four years ago in Kansas City I got hammered in Westport but didn't have to worry about getting to my hotel because it was across the street. Yet, I took time to visit the Truman Library before heading home.

I consider myself a hard core supporter, but I am no Yuppie. Thanks for the info on the botanical gardens. But if you want to include info on strip clubs and barbeque joints in your posts, that would be alright too.