Birmingham, AL: USA vs. Guatemala WCQ Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by nicodemus, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    try Atlanta. there is at least one on every exit on I-20.

2. realmadrid1086

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 29, 2002
    Alabama
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, we've got the same thing here in Newnan. At Exit 47 on I-85 there's a Waffle House right there by the exit ramp. 100 yards up Highway 34 there's another one.

I should be able to make the game. I'll probably have high school soccer practice right after school, but I'll just have to miss it. Gotta have my priorities straight. I'll probably just leave right after school and bring a couple of friends with me. Can't wait, it should be fun.

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

all visitors should make a special note to skip the awful house and get their breakfast at original pancake house (5 pts. & hoover) or bogue's (near 5 pts.)

if you want italian, go to anthony's - tell sammy that greg sent ya - he also has the 22nd st. jazz cafe around the corner

4. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p

5. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Since it's a 13 hour drive from DC, I figure that I'll fly (it's going to cost $200-225 RT). Anyone interested in sharing a rental car?

I'm figuring to fly down SW 856 1410-1520 BWI-BHM on Tuesday 3/29 and depart SW 102 0725-1015 BHM-BWI on Thursday 3/31. I figure that the locals will setup a supporter's happy hour on Tuesday night and it's a good chance to meet other supporters.

I've reserved 2 rooms at the Residence Inn for $45/night. (Free Bfast, fridge, suite)

Let me know if you're interested.

6. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    check your PMs.

7. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    OPH is overpriced. And even though I'm a lifelong resident of the Magic City, I've never been to Bogues.

8. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it safe to sit underneath that floating level? I'm assuming those are the condemned seats. Just looking at the picture I can see why! I'm wondering if there's an interesting story here.

9. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inverness is fine, but you are waaaaaaay away from any gatherings that will occur. Will definately need a car.

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's fine to sit underneath. I assume it's just because the stadium is old and when the University of Alabama used to play there, they'd have the place rocking pretty good.

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    1-poppycock

2-best grits in town

12. Garrettt

Garrettt Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Canton, GA
    I'm coming from Atlanta but it has yet to be determined if we are stopping in Valley to drop the kids or is Granny coming up here.
    As this develops I can possibly give someone a lift or whatever.

Nico or Pvan :
    What kind of parking situation will be in the stadium area?
    I am assuming it will be something like an SEC game where you either get there really early and tailgate or you will have to park way off and walk....

13. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless they sell a decent sized chunk of tickets, I don't see parking being much of a problem. I've driven to every soccer game at Legion Field and haven't had parking problems. It'll only get tricky I'd say if attendance hits over 35,000. There's a good bit of parking down there. I may be wrong about that though, but probably not. Chance are, they will run shuttles from the Southside/5 Points South area which would be convenient area to park coming off of I-20.

14. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000

Thanks for the heads up. How far away? 5 miles? 10 miles?

I planned on getting a rental - wouldn't mind sharing the rental though...

15. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I don't know about miles but Inverness is probably 15 minutes from Southside depending on traffic.

16. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's only about 10 miles, but traffic on US-280, which your hotel is located off of can be an absolute NIGHTMARE. I used to live off of 280 and had to travel about 7-8 to my job in the city, and it would take anywhere from 45-60 minutes depending on the time of day. It won't be as bad coming into the city from where you are in the evening, but it can still suck at times.

17. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally depending on traffic. I can tell you never lived out there!

18. Garrettt

Garrettt Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Canton, GA
    Thanks for the info!
    This is going to be great!

19. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did you find a residence inn for $45??? The cheapest I find is around $125. We are thinking of flying into Atlanta. From NY it's the only way to go. 2 hours to Atlanta and 2 and a half to stadium only $200. It looks like all your flights go through Atlanta also.

20. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll second that--Original Pancake house is always packed, but very much worth the wait. I was just thinking about my potential plans for this trip--(catch up with a friend and his new son in Hoover, go to the game one day then head north for some caving) when my doorbell rings--its late out here too 7:45 PT and its a gift box from the USSF congratulating me for winning the Corner Picks contest of the Panama match! How Awesome!!! I got some weird coffee maker (made by Phillips of course) & a bunch of coffee, and three different shirts--a very cool windbreaker/pullover, what looks like the shirt BA & his coaching staff sometimes wear, and the Just Do It tshirt. Christmas has come early!

21. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Nico- Do you think it'd be worth driving from Northern Palm Beach County, or just catching a flight up?

22. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've flown from B'ham to Newark for around $200 direct on Continental. I know it isn't always available the other way 'round, but have a look into it.

23. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I drove to Miami last year from Birmingham for the Argentina game and it is a beast of a drive. Just depends on how much time you have off and/or how much money you have. I'm probably going to fly because I'll be able to borrow a car from a family member, but if flights get to be too much, I may drive. Not really sure yet.

24. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, the team usually stays at one of these two hotels. A friend owns a restaurant/bar in the area and he said he saw several of the guys come in his place both times they were here before.

25. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    a few notes ....

I've made the drive from Ft. Lauderdale to Birmingham and a couple times to north Georgia.It's a rough one. Depends on your age. If you come up on 85 through Georgia, whatever you do, DON'T speed around Valdosta. They'll get you. There's a route through west Florida and Montgomery that may be shorter in length but probably not in time and frustration.

Those looking for dining options would be well advised to take a look at the Nicodemus-Ghost threadjack on the N&A thread about Dreamland Barbecue.

And for whoever said there must be an interesting story about the condemned stands ..... in Alabama, there's always an interesting story.