Bill Hamid

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard played 5.5 seasons, Guzan played 3.5 seasons. Both were sold in the summer time in the middle of the MLS season.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Last three seasons (a much rounder number than yours): 78 of 102 (76.5%) DC United matches Hamid has played.

And when you consider a few of those he was rested, only about 20% of his matches he has missed due to injury.

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i haven't seen his Liga MX games so i'm asking for a point of reference.

4. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Using his 2014 stats is probably not optimal because it adds a bias to the data since 2014 had him play in the most games of his career. He played in 30 games in 2014 which is a massive 5 games more than his average since he became the #1 keeper in 2014.

Since he became the #1 keeper he has averaged 25 games a season(73%) which is a lower percentage than many other #1 keepers in MLS.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Its no secret he's had some injuries, but that doesn't disqualify others. Altidore has injuries, Jones has injuries, Brooks has injuries. Does Hamid have any more than them? No, he's not Joe Gyau, Terrence Boyd, John O'Brien in terms of injuries.

6. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a very odd post. Hamid is not competing with any of those players. He is competing against other GK's who have all been healthier than he has. His health has most certainly hurt him, at least in JK's eyes.

Hopefully Arena gives him a fresh look.

KickballWizard repped this.
  7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not odd at all. It spoke to the double standard in terms of the treatment of oft-injured players when they were grandfathered in and/or came from a certain background as opposed to when they didn't.

And as I illustrated, the injuries are overblown. He's played in 76.5% of games the last 3 excellent MLS seasons. How is that not enough of an opportunity to integrate? It clearly is, and other guys like the ones aforementioned were as reliable or less health-wise, and they got what, 30 caps on average in that span?

The positional argument should work for him because our gk'ing spot has been in flux. Guzan was slumping, Howard getting up there, Horvath is super young, Yarbrough was a real reach, etc.

If Klinsmann didn't make it self evident with his actions his exclusion of Hamid had little to do with injuries, he did it with his comments. He said things publicly like "what happened to Bill Hamid", "Bill Hamid is part of the lost generation", and "Bill Hamid is 6th on the pecking order" (or whatever it was). This before not even calling him in for the Cuba game and then leaving him on the deep bench for the subsequent match on Hamid's own park.

The exclusions were primarily due to being an unintegrated MLS player who was part of that Olympic qualifying failure in '12. The only shot he had to undo the unfortunate associations to Klinsmann was to make a positive impression in Jan. camp '16. Then, yes, he had an untimely injury. But 3 years of good goalkeeping play earns you pretty much one offseason camp, and if you happen to not be available for it, you're s**t out of luck? C'mon, that's crazy unfair treatment.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pretty much what tdos said.

Hamid doesn't miss years at a time, come back for 10 games, show excellent form, and then miss another year. He's had a few injuries, but I don't believe any have been more than a few months, so its not like there hasn't been time to give him a chance with the NT this cycle.

Maybe he's missed a game here or there where he could've gotten a chance, but if he was healthy, that still could've been one of the many times where he was healthy, and he was not given a chance by Klinsmann.

9. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    He missed a long stretch the 2015 season and was out on and off this year. He did finish very strong though.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how many career MLS shutouts does he have?

11. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Nick Rimando has around 130 I believe so not bad at all.

13. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct about Rimando.

Rimando: 129 in 424 starts
    Hamid: 43 in 160 starts

14. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    I have been hoping to see Hamid break through for a while. He's the only guy under 30 that has a legitimate shot to push Howard and Guzan for the top job in 2018.

That said, I am sick of reading conspiracy theories. He's never proven that he's ready because he's been injured at unfortunate times. It's just dumb to compare his injury his to the history of proven usmnt regulars. He has shown to be a very talented club keeper but he has done zero with the national and you can't compare him to other usmnt players until that changes. And that won't change if the injuries keep popping up at the wrong times.

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Thanks for stepping out of the shadows ...

[​IMG]

... we'll be keeping an eye on you.

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Training at Swansea, per reports.

17. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was reported a while back. Is he still there?

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I apologize. It was an old report and I got confused. Won't be the last time.

truefan420 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Won't be the last time you apologize or the last time you get confused? Or both, maybe? Now I'm confused, sorry. Won't be the last time for me, either.

In mid-November, Goff said Hamid would be training with Swansea "for a week or two," but I haven't seen an update (from anyone).

20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every time any one of us posts a confused note the rest of us get to do a shot. What fun!

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Yes.

russ, Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  22. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Winner of this thread!

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    ^^^

Overreaction of the thread.

24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Trust takes years to build, seconds to break, and forever to repair.

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    the #1 from Frankfurt just moved to Leverkusen. I do wonder had Hamid signed even as a #2, would the club have trusted him to battle for the starting spot as of now.