Bill Hamid at DC United (on loan from FC Midtjylland)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by prowazekii, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    The last and only time they have ever played CL qualifiers was in 2015-16 ... They lost on away goals to APOEL in the 3rd qualifying round, but then bumped off Southampton (1-1 away and 1-0 at home) in the Europa League play-off's and also got past the EL Group stage (by losing to Napoli but beating Club Brugge and Legia Warsaw) , but then lost in the Round of 32 to Manchester United ...

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #652 Ceres, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    [​IMG]

I guess they will keep the Trophy in their trophy cabinet ... but where to put the helicopter ? :confused::D;)

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So Ceres, the current keeper, is he good enough to be on the Danish roster for Russia? Do you see him being challenged by Hamid for no.1 in the Fall? Or would the club do best to rotate them (with CL or EL games in the mix now)?

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Happiest Place in the World indeed.

You know, the Sunday before last; the Simpsons finally went to Denmark. :eek:

5. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Already watched it ... I liked this one better though :

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Dude, that scene killed me 10 years ago.

:p
    My Swedish ex was born in Denmark and has a Danish dad and he (from my memory of 2007) was very demented haha. Honestly,he's the only Scandinavian I met with big balls. I only spent 3 days in Copenhagen, was real nice. So many folks smoke there though.

7. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn’t they win while Danny Califf was there?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I thought that was Aalborg

9. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    No that was AaB Aalborg in 2007-08 ....but he missed playing Champions League because he moved to FCM ... perhaps he did not think AaB would qualify for the group stage, but they did and finished 3rd behind Man United and Villarreal, but ahead of Celtic, so they qualified for the Europa League Round of 32 where they bumped off Deportivo La Coruña, beating then both homer and away (3-0 and 3-1), but then lost on penalties in the Round of 16 to Man City after a 0-2 loss away and a 2-0 win at home in a match where MarcusTracy got his debut for AaB. unfortunately his career was cut short by knee injuries.

Gorky and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Highlights from match against Horsens

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  11. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #661 Ceres, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
    I found a better picture of the Superliga helicopter... as you can see, it arrived with the Tropy and Alexander Sørloth who they (as you may remember) sold to Crystal Palace 4 month ago for £ 9 million + a possible £ 7 million add-ons (if they escaped relegation) ...

[​IMG]

Besides the around $25 million they have earned on transfers this season, their most expensive player Rafael van der Vaart is also leaving them this summer, so the FCM chairman has just said that they are now going to reinforce the team for the CL qualifiers,... according to the local newspaper, the first player FCM are going to sign is the German attacking midfielder Dominick Drexler from Holstein Kiel that has just missed promotion to the German Bundesliga, losing in the play-off's to Wolfsburg .. the two clubs have already agreed on a €2.5 million transfer fee, so it should be as good as a done deal.

According to the all-season ratings by the big German football website Kicker, Drexler is rated the 2nd best player in the 2nd Bundesliga this past season :
    http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/...bundesliga/2017-18/topspieler-der-saison.html

... and Drexler was rumoured to Aston Villa and Newcastle in the past winter transfer window, but in the end nothing happened back then .. and obviously, as Danish Champions FCM are now able to attract good players due to their participation in the Champions League qualifiers :
    :
    https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...minick-Drexler-Holstein-Kiel-EFL-Championship

On the other hand the FCM director of sport also admit that they are feeling a strong interest from the English PL, La Liga and the German Bundeslige for their centre back Bubacarr Sanneh, who they signed from AC Horsens around 4 month ago .. He has been a huge succes for both Horsens and FCM this season, not only looking great in defense but also making 3 assists and scoring 7 goals in 28 Superliga games ...

12. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Hamid had a great debut in the Danish Cup Quarter-Finals, but then looked very rusty in both his Superliga debut and in the Cup Semi-Finals against Brøndby ... the director of sport also said that he did not look ready and it had been a bit too soon to use him in this important stage... But now that they have won the championship they will be more likely to field him, either in the Superliga or CL qualifiers ...

I'm sure Jesper Hansen won't be going to Russia and he is probably a bit too old to attract interest from abroad ... but lets be honest, there is a reason why he was selected for the Danish preliminary squad for the WC-18 ... he has done a great job after the winter break ...

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Since Hamid got himself a league title, can we work on a proper thread name?

14. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're always open to suggestions. You have any ideas?

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Dude, I'm never good at these. I'm more of a poor man's neurotic comedian. We need high quality ironical fellas.

16. Zinkoff

Zinkoff Member

Jul 2, 2014
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill H@mid(tjylland) or something of that ilk is staring us right in the face

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I wanna throw in a Flavor Flav viking hat but too on the nose eh?

I don't know much about Denmark other than they speak as if they have potatoes(or rocks) in their mouths.

18. Zinkoff

Zinkoff Member

Jul 2, 2014
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s actually fun new research showing that even Danes are bad at learning Danish. Measures of language acquisition in early childhood lag a bit behind what is found in comparable countries (Norway was the primary control in that study, I believe). It’s basically due to the fact that Danish drops a lot of consonants and also has a lot of vowel sounds. That said, by adolescence Danish speakers don’t seem to face any cognitive or linguistic deficits. It’s just a hard language to get into because of how challenging it is to segment and chunk.

19. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #669 Ceres, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
    There are several reasons why Danish is so difficult to learn ... unlike Norwegian, which is a modernized version of Danish, spoken Danish is not quite the same as it's written down ... I guess you have noticed the 'Aa' in Aarhus and Aalborg, which has more of an 'arh' sound in Aarhus and an 'ohl' sound in Aalborg and especially the 'g' is usually unspoken or simply sound quite different depending on the word in question ... written Norwegian on the other hand is easilly understood by Danes, but we find it to be "dyslextic", because to a Dane it looks like spoken Danish, but with loads of spelling "mistakes" and missing (unspoken) letters ... Danish is no doubt more complicated because it's very old fashioned... while Norwegian modernized their language at the end of the union with Denmark :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokmål
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nynorsk
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Danish

20. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    So they are the reason so many Americans in the Midwest drop their consonants. :)

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  21. Zinkoff

Zinkoff Member

Jul 2, 2014
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, sorry, I was on my phone earlier and didn't provide any links... I'm actually a colleague of some of the people doing this research, so it's fun to share their work in such a random place!

Here's an article in Danish that provides an interview with some of the researchers doing this work: https://www.kristeligt-dagblad.dk/danmark/derfor-er-dansk-saa-svaert-der-er-faa-konsonanter

And here's the most recent published work from the same folks (you'll need institutional access to read more than the abstract, unfortunately): https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022096517301388

Gorky and Hobo repped this.
  22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 100 years everyone will speak Spanish, English or Mandarin, so enjoy it while it lasts.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Or Arabic. :cool:

I had a guy tel me that in some schools here in LA county the upper middle class teaching their kids Chinese. I asked about Spanish and he basically stated that "was for the commoners".

24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Not smart at all. A very difficult language and Chinese culture isn't imperialistic, they aren't looking for expansion. Chinese people are coming and will come here in huge numbers, perfectly assimilate and their kids will be Americans speaking Chinese. And since when our schools knew how to teach kids any foreign language? Total waste of time.

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Clearly you should read about their efforts across Africa.