Bill Hamid at DC United (on loan from FC Midtjylland)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by prowazekii, Oct 28, 2011.

1. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Those Ladispoli-San Marino buses.

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Train up along the eastern coast - Roma to Ancona to Rimini - bus to San Marino - bus back to Rimini - to Venezia - to Firenze - to Pisa - back down to Roma in two and half days.

We took the tour bus from Ladispoli to Napoli-Sorrento - boat to Capri - later on ... and a looooooong time ago.

3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    We had a stop over in Bologna on a way from Firenze to Venezia/San Marino, looked nice back then.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He absolutely needs to head to Europe.

Surprised it's a Serie A team interested and not an EPL team.

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He won't qualify for the EPL under the new (or old) work permit rules. Italy's much laxer.

6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The latest training stint:
    672186620653789184 is not a valid tweet id

7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would be a good move, but the work permit question is a major one given his national team status. If he got approved, that would show the superficial, blind belief the British have in players from the U.S. who use their hands as opposed to feet. Agudelo had about 8 times as many caps, was 4 years younger, and got rejected.

That said, I think it would be a good marriage. Best goalkeeper in MLS the last couple of years. Good physical tools, positioning in net, and reflexes. Issues are when he has to come off his line. Should be more organized than DCU to decrease teams 1 v. 1 on the break against him. Going to be a concern on corners, but that's an issue w/ Howard too.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  8. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Training. Not trial.

9. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's always a trial to an extent. It's always a showcase for a younger player.

As for him getting a WP, my guess is there'd be quite different criteria for a GK as only one can play at a time and our top two are EPL regulars. On appeal I could see him getting a WP.

10. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But will they ask him to go home,after 30 minutes?

superdave repped this.
  11. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That you think that applies to a situation like this is beyond foolish.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol at learning from Ben Foster.

13. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    That was from 4 years ago when Foster was an EPL starting keeper....

superdave and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he has a passport from Sierra Leone, I don't think he'd count against foreigner limits in Spain or France. Of course, he can only go where there's interest in him.

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has 2 caps, which puts him tied for 5th among current GKs in the US pool. That would be an interesting stretch for the WP process. I'm not sure a lot of clubs would go through the risk and effort to do that, since you are stuck with the contract if he doesn't get the WP.

16. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chill out Von Jond. I'm just waiting to hear one instance about the famous 30 minute trials you condescendingly described a couple weeks ago.

17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously its much harder to win caps as a third GK than at other positions, so they should go easier on this requirement. Tim Howard experienced a similar issue applying for his work permit. That actually gave rise to the infamous Friedel Howard rivalry of 2014.

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but they have really cracked down on WPs since then. Since the club is the one on the hook if it fails, there a good chance they don't bother.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I believe he could get a Sierra Leone passport. Aren't his parents from there?

Anyway, does mean he won't be transferring in the winter transfer window? I'm unsure how to evaluate this news.

Norwich seems like a logical destination, a lower end PL club where he can step in right away and compete for the starting job. Ruddy is pretty good and in his prime, but Hamid is also very good. Two American GK's who he's arguably better than start in the PL, lets keep that in mind. I'd prefer him going to a league other than England though.

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. He actually isn't cap-tied to the US, so he could, conceivably, play for Sierra Leone (notwithstanding the fact that SL's fed is pretty screwed up as Kei Kamara has said).

21. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya know, couple of the best teams in the Bundesliga, Dortmund and Leverkusen, have serious issues at keeper right now. Not many teams will be willing to sell their #1's during the winter transfer window. A guy like Hamid may be a good candidate to come in and challenge them for top spot.

And he wouldn't have to deal w/ work permit or non EU rules there, although in practice Bundesliga is nearly as stingy as the EPL when it comes to allowing in non EU's. 1.7 per team last study I saw, to EPL's 1.6.

22. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go now. Take advantage of Howard's age and Everton future in doubt. Same with Guzan, shaky form and performances lately by him in a US shirt. Go and try to leapfrog them both by 2018. Nothing left to prove in MLS. I say this as someone who isn't the biggest Hamid fan either.

23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he can get a Sierra Leone passport he would count as a domestic in Spain, France and Denmark.

24. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    As a DC United fan I can tell you Bill Hamid is the only reason DC even made the playoffs this season. We were a pretty awful team. As my brother put it when we were in 1st place for that stretch: "We are the worst best team I have ever seen".

Hamid was Godlike at times in goal, making save after save after save, salvaging points at away fixtures. I expect him and Kitchen to be in Europe somewhere during the January transfer window.

25. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seconded

justinpaul10 repped this.