Bill Hamid at DC United (on loan from FC Midtjylland)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by prowazekii, Oct 28, 2011.

1. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    all i gotta say is LOL @ all the peeps that questioned my DAY 1 questioning of this move.

2. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    russ and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Well, it is all about you. That's what we all come to this forum to learn about...

4. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd think this is more of a botch on DC's part than Hamid's. Hamid wants to go to Europe, sure. But now DC is (possibly) having to pay to return an investment that they sold for $0. Someone said this is actually saving DC money because he'll come back on cheaper wages which is... a really weird way to look at player management.

5. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Europa League, (Champions Path) Play-off Round, draw :

Malmö FF (Swe)
    /Videoton (Hun) v The New Saints (Wal)/FC Midtjylland (Den)

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. Baka_Shinpan

Baka_Shinpan Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Between the posts
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    :laugh:

7. Baka_Shinpan

Baka_Shinpan Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Between the posts
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  8. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
  9. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Can you remind us of what your questions were?

10. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, sure.
    from oct 18 2017:
    from jan 2018

and from feb 2018:

a lot of responses i got were along the lines of be patient stop jumping to conclusions....it was underwhelming for me from the beginning and i didnt like it for him. im happy to proven right but i wish it had worked for hamid i think he is good enough to play at a higher level than dc united.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If the European clubs realize they can get MLS guys on a free & sell them back for $3m-$5m, we may have a sudden foreign interest on a bunch of our guys whose contracts with their clubs are about to expire!

adam tash and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #812 Ceres, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    In yesterdays newspaper the FCM club Director Claus Steinlein is saying that they need an attacking midfielder to replace Dominick Drexler, but otherwise he consider this transfer window to be closed .... so I will be highly surprised if they are going to sell Hamid, considering that they then also would need to find a replacement.

LouisianaViking07/09 and russ repped this.
  13. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    By the look at how he performed in the few important games he has played so far for FCM, then there is no chance he would have become a starter for Frankfurt in the Bundesliga ... in fact, I'm sure he picked FCM because he was told by Frankfurt that he would be singned as their reserve keeper and not as the replacement for Lukáš Hrádecký... they already had an eye on getting Frederik Rønnow as their next 1st keeper if he was not picked up by an English PL side.

I'm quite sure FCM was the best possible option available in Europe for Hamid when he signed with them ... picking a club in Finland or Bulgaria to be 100% sure to be a regular starter, I dont even think crossed his mind ... and Denmark is the place to go for an ambitious keeper from a smaller league in Europe if they later want a move to the top 5 leagues ... I mean just look at this summer transfer window ... The icelandic NT keeper Rúnar Alex Rúnarsson has moved from FC Nordsjælland to French side Dijon ...Danish NT 3rd keeper Frederik Rønnow moved to Frankfurt, as mentioned ... and Swedish NT 1st keeper Robin Olsen has moved from FCK to Roma ... 3 keeper moves from the Superliga to a top-5 league in one transfer window.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    @Ceres, Your analysis is something of beauty but suffered please post some positive news on brotha Hamid.

tell us that he will start the next match or at least is enjoying the local cuisine

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i hope he stays. He shouldn't give up.

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    What is giving up? You could argue that sitting on the bench is giving up as opposed to moving where he will play.

UnitedBorn repped this.
  17. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill needs to cut bait. Staying in Europe just to be in Europe doesn't make much sense. You can get a lot of things back but time isn't one of them.

Sounds like the options are come to MLS now or sit on the FCM bench for half of the season and come to MLS in the winter.

18. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah just sign them on frees....keep them unhappy until they ask to go back to MLS...then cha-ching!...not really a bad option for an eu team....

19. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    okay but his play for FCM doesnt necessarily indicate his absolute level. for one, he's barely played.

yeah he has underperformed when given the scant opportunities he has had...but there are mitigating factors i.e. extended periods of inactivity....his appearances for FCM indicate his pre-season form...considering he made them without much playing time beforehand. he may just be a GK who needs a consistent playing time and a run of games to be his "true" self......he has said himself that he doesnt want to be on the bench and that it doesnt suit him.

from all indications he picked FCM b/c they told him he would be a starter...which, if true, was false...and would be a good reason why he wants to leave now...connecting the dots...he probably feels misled...and with good reason, imo.

looking back, he might as well have signed in bundesliga...might as well be a bench GK in germany than a bench GK in denmark, imo. (like i said from the beginning).

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. Baka_Shinpan

Baka_Shinpan Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Between the posts
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Well it doesn't look like Hamid made the trip to Wales. Oliver Ottesen is the back up keeper for this match.

https://www.fcm.dk/nyheder/superliga/truppen-mod-the-new-saints

FC Midtjyllands trup
    1. Jesper Hansen
    2. Kian Hansen
    3. Tim Sparv
    4. Zsolt Korcsmár
    5. Marc Dal Hende
    6. Joel Andersson
    7. Jakob Poulsen
    8. Ayo Okosun
    13. Alexander Munksgaard
    15. Bozidar Kraev
    19. Mayron George
    20. Rasmus Nicolaisen
    22. Mikkel Duelund
    25. Bubacarr Sanneh
    30. Oliver Ottesen
    33. Paul Onuachu
    38. Frank Onyeka
    45. Awer Mabil
    88. Gustav Wikheim

21. Baka_Shinpan

Baka_Shinpan Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Between the posts
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    From another article:

https://www.tipsbladet.dk/nyhed/sup...vil-udleje-hamid-hvis-han-forbliver-andetvalg

"The plan we made half a year ago was that he had to go up with Jesper (Hansen, ed.), And when we could see if we succeeded or failed, we should talk to Bill, what the situation is. I do not want to confirm clubs or anything but there is no doubt that Bill is aiming for some playing time, and he also needs it, because it is a very good goalkeeper, says Graversen to tipsbladet.dk.

Rest of the article indicates that they are looking at a loan agreement and notes that they would then bring in a 3rd keeper if they let Hamid go out on loan.

22. Baka_Shinpan

Baka_Shinpan Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Between the posts
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    And it also looks like DCU is making space for Hamid. Steve Clark was left out of the lineup this weekend with Worra having been recalled from Richmond.

23. Baka_Shinpan

Baka_Shinpan Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Between the posts
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    And Steve Goff of the Washington Post just tweeted out Hamid is returning to DCU for 1.5 year loan.

24. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The lesson for US goalkeepers is to not transfer to a European club midseason, especially if it's on a free transfer.

Hopefully Steffen learns from Hamid's semester abroad.

LouisianaViking07/09 and TarHeels17 repped this.
  25. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are leaving on a free from a MLS club, you don't have much choice but to transfer midseason given the MLS calendar.

Assuming you play your contract out and aren't cut of course.

Tom Collingsworth and adam tash repped this.