Bigsoccer Votes for Iranian Elections

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Rostam, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Tribune

Tribune Member

Jun 18, 2006
    The thing you ignore is that there is no democracy to support across the arab world. Democracy does not mean the freedom to vote a lunatic for the office : much more meaningful is a system of checks and controls to make sure the power earned in elections is not misused and the incumbents will give it up if the voters so choose. A system which no arab country has. It's pointless to ask "support democracy" through elections, if the first concern of the newly-elected leaders would be to pull out a Chavez to make sure they stay in office, for instance.
    If US could be sure those new leaders will freely submit to the democratic process, they wouldn't concern themselves with them, simply because they would not last in power. Besides hatred of US, Israel and religious fanaticism, there is nothing about those guys and they will be voted out after their first term for sheer incompetence.

PS : Iran could have had very good relationships with US if Khomeiny hadn't done everything in his power to piss America off.

3. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The BBC's Jon Leyne, in Tehran, says Monday's rally was the biggest demonstration in the Islamic republic's 30-year history and described it as a "political earthquake".

4. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Our friendship with the current regime doesn't have anything to do with KSA refusing to let women drive or vote.

5. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Well, there are two ways to think about this. Had Mousavi won, its likely that he would not have been able to make too many changes regardless. However, by practically forcing a fraudulent election down the Iranian citizens' throat, the current Iranian regime has told its citizenry to take it or else; its almost forced a confrontation it thinks it can win. Lets see if they're right, because enough popular support may cause far more change in a month to the current system than Mousavi could have in 8 years.

Either way, good luck to all the Iranians protesting, hopefully they'll be safe.

6. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That was BBC coverage, unless the Iran state tv uses the same graphics as the BBC.

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Iranian president Mahmud Ahmadinejad has just announced that the results are in and he has won the BigSoccer Iranian election poll by a landslide.

:D

8. Tribune

Tribune Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Any estimations how many were they ?

9. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You sound like a Hamas sympathizer. But who cares about your bright opinion...?

11. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    According to a radio report from Tehran (I've just listened to), it could be up to 2 million. :eek: And this despite the official demonstration ban...

Obviously, the situation is escalating. :(

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/06/15/iran.elections.protests/index.html

Reminds me of the revolution in Romania in '89. Apparently, the crowd doesn't get scared by AN's thugs and is ready for confrontation.

12. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are right, which is why I figured previously that the best that could happen was an end to Iran's nuclear weapons program.

Now maybe the anger takes down the whole system and replaces it with, well, I am not sure exactly, but hopefully some thing more demo and less theo.

13. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  14. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The situation seems to be very unclear at this moment. Shooting at such a huge crowd is crazy ... but well, what can you expect from a crazy president & his thugs? :rolleyes: Obviously they believe they can repeat Tiananmen '89 ... but this will definitely backfire to them!

Btw: Here's some impessions of AN's thugs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  16. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
  17. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  18. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Protester killed, and the crowds have turned extremely angry and violent, they're now shouting "I will kill Ahmdinejad" and "I will kill those who killed my brother"!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRaBp-OFHlM"]YouTube - Iran election protest ( Tehran - Azadi .sq )[/ame]

19. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Your velvet revolution is dead, and it indeed opened the eyes of those who think Iran can deal with your wicked type.

The velvet revolution confirmed the fact that Iran can't trust America and Obama for as long as your ilk keeps America and the rest of the West hostage. That will change too.

20. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    There are unconfirmed reports that as many as seven protesters have been killed so far. The situation is escalating rapidly.

21. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Isn't it unusual for a Western culture swallower like yourself to support AN?

22. Tribune

Tribune Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Great is human stupidity... :rolleyes:

23. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was pretty impressed with the citizen's bravery to demonstrate when I first saw they were doing so ......... after seeing what's going on a tiny bit from links here, I am even more impressed.
    I hope we have the good sense to remain at a distance and not get too excited and undermine the Iranian population's desire to validate their election results.

24. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The government is leaving threatening voice-mails for the 30+ million mobile cellular phone users in Iran, warning them not to participate in any "illegal" demonstrations.

25. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Iran not have a "do not call list"? ;)