BigSoccer Shrugged: Omar Gonzalez at Atlas

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ussoccer97531, Dec 22, 2015.

1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I was thinking of the midget who started in the 2002 World Cup ... who happens to be the same, 43-year old midget.

2. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    IMO he would have been a top Mexican goal keeper (historically speaking) if not for this one huge flaw. Even at his age he can have amazing games but there are games where his height is just a liability, plain and simple.

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Where does he rank among top mexican keepers historically? For a guy so short to have played so long and well, he must have handled his limitations with talent similar to Rimando.

4. LaMascara

LaMascara Member+

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    we play today vs xolos,

the backline on the chivas frendly was :Medina----Rodriguez----Murillo---Garcia so i have no idea if Omar will start.

5. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Will "El Piojo" play the American Omar tonight?

6. LaMascara

LaMascara Member+

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    what?

7. LaMascara

LaMascara Member+

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    wooooo!! vamos Omar!!

[​IMG]

temp-Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Oops. Wrong team.

9. LaMascara

LaMascara Member+

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Diego alonso is our Manager

bigt8917 repped this.
  10. LaMascara

LaMascara Member+

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Omar starting.

game about to start!!!!

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Omar was fine in his first match. Had the flick-on assist on Pachuca's goal and wasn't at fault for the goal they allowed. He had some nice defensive plays, beat a time or two as well that amounted to nothing, but didn't stand out, bad or good, in a game where the other CB stood out in a bad way.

12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omar was very good defensively. He tracked back quickly, rotated, was strong in the air, and cleared his area. Also, was a threat there on set pieces. You figured he would be with the size and athleticism advantages he should enjoy in Liga MX. As for exploiting his suspect passing from the back, they were oddly able to avoid him receiving the ball hardly at all, so it was a non-issue pretty much. We'll see in the upcoming games. But Pachuca have to be pleased with his debut and a draw on the road down a man.

13. LaMascara

LaMascara Member+

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    yes very, first point ever on TJ!!!!

we did not play a very good game collectively but with a few adjustments this team can make a deep run.

14. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Decent game by Omar. Good to see what US fans have known about his game already, his aerial strength. Didn't have many touches on the ground, as he looked a bit uncomfortable with the style of play. As he gets more time to gel with the team, he should get more comfortable with his teammates.

15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first half was sluggish, but both ways. A few chances generated each, but neither were making their imprint on the game. Then, I thought after the halftime team talk and some tactical adjustments, you guys bossed the game up until the red card. Your coach fired the team up and had them playing a high press where they were forcing turnovers left and right and then just calmly and quickly were moving the ball around for a while as Tijuana sat back. Post red card, Tijuana was generating a fair amount of chances, and you were lucky one didn't end up in the back of the net, but that's to be expected down a man. Half luck, half good performance in context I thought. Certainly better than Tijuana at this juncture.

LaMascara repped this.
  16. LaMascara

LaMascara Member+

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
  17. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What an idiot if I remember correctly the person next to him in the clone costume was also a new player unveiled and is MEXICAN (OG is too but MX/AM). It's just all in good fun

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Steve Nicol thought Jamaica has a better player pool than the USA. I know why ESPN employs him (famous player who happens to already live in the USA), but he's a bad analyst.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  20. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol ... old school British commentators can be so annoying sometimes... anything that breaks with "tradition"

21. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Haha "La Fuerza Esta Con El". Would this not be a great thread title guys?

Gorky and naopon repped this.
  22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Omar but agree that SW thing was stupid. I don't understand the obsession with these movies.

23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Maybe this will help. I snagged it from Wikipedia, though I may also have entered it as my thesis.

Philosophy and religion in Star Wars
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

George Lucas' creation of the Star Wars saga was influenced by certain elements of mythology, philosophy and religion.

Contents
    [hide]

Analysis[edit]
    It has been noted that the conflict between "light" and "dark" sides of the Force resembles Zoroastrianism, while their close connection recalls the yin and yang ofTaoism:

Lucas's dualism may have been modeled on Chinese yin-yang notions in some ways, but it has equal inspiration from the Zoroastrian ethical dualism of good and evil. Both the dark (yin) and the light (yang) are present in the Force (as they are in Tao), but in Star Wars the dark is associated with evil and the light with good; in Taoism no such ethical links are made.[1]

There is therefore an inconsistency in Lucas's ideas between the duality of yin/yang, where the two should be in balance with each other, and the duality of good/evil, where evil is viewed as wrong.[2] There is nevertheless a strong ethical element to Star Wars, which has been linked to that of Hinduism, Buddhism[3] andStoicism:

To recap, the virtues the Jedi shares with the Stoic sage are patience, timeliness, deep commitment, seriousness (as opposed to frivolity), calmness (as opposed to anger or euphoria), peacefulness (as opposed to aggression), caution (as opposed to recklessness), benevolence (as opposed to hatred), joy (as opposed to sullenness), passivity (as opposed to agitation), and wisdom. Given all these virtues, Yoda certainly resembles what the ancient Stoics described as the sage—the ideal person who has perfected his reason and achieved complete wisdom.[4]

The name Yoda itself represents a play on the word Yoga, the ancient spiritual practice.

The concept of evil in Star Wars also resembles that of Manichaeism, which posits that good and evil are both real entities.[5] However, since Christianity views evil as the absence of good, the concept of evil in Star Wars conflicts with that of Christianity.[5]

The physical aspects of the Force in Star Wars have been compared to Qi in Chinese and Japanese thought.[6] In the first film it is described this way:

Well, the Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.[7]

Connections of the Force to Prana in Hindu thought have also been suggested, but this has been criticised as a misinterpretation which confuses the Paramatmanwith the individual soul.[8]

According to postcolonial scholar Edward Said, the Orient’s association with the mystic, magic, spirit, and the inexplicable allows the West, armed with scientific rationality and technological superiority, to overpower the Orient.[9]

Asked what he makes of the fact that so many people interpret Star Wars as profoundly religious, George Lucas replied: "I don't see Star Wars as profoundly religious. I see Star Wars as taking all of the issues that religion represents and trying to distill them down into a more modern and more easily accessible construct that people can grab on to, to accept the fact that there's a greater mystery out there."[10]

Book on the subject[edit]
    Star Wars and Philosophy is a compilation book written by various college professors, most of them in the philosophy field. The book is edited by Kevin S. Decker, Jason T. Eberl and William Irwin and published by Open Court.[11]

Published in March 2005, the book discusses various philosophical issues regarding the Star Wars franchise and its universal settings such as the ethics of the conflict between good and evil or if the role of robots constitutes slavery or not.[12]

Tactical Hipster and Winoman repped this.
  24. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This seems like an attempt to create sophistication where none exists. At the end of the day, the Empire is BAD, the Republic/Rebellion is GOOD, and the Force is MAGIC. Sure, you can graft on more intriguing philosophical ideas onto these basic concepts, but I don't see any depth of ideas here that aren't available in most other super hero movies.

thedukeofsoccer repped this.