BigSoccer Shrugged: Omar Gonzalez at Atlas

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ussoccer97531, Dec 22, 2015.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    IMO, he's good with literally everything for a CB other than his movement and his passing out of the back. Should be one of the better CB's in Liga MX, just like he was in MLS. I think he could've moved to Europe, but he's probably comfortable with the culture in Mexico. I frankly don't think he needs to go to Europe to figure out how good he is or anything like that. He's been playing with the NT for years, I think we can make a good assessment on his quality.

2. FreekickSmurf

FreekickSmurf Member

Aug 11, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a real step up in quality. I hope he is up to the task

JJV1994 and USAMEX10 repped this.
  3. BTL97

BTL97 Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to turn this into a debate about league quality, but I don't think Liga MX is that better than MLS.

4. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    They win CONCACAF every single year and most years it's not even close so...

Anyway, I didn't come here for that. Good signing for us, and with the exception of last season when I was working long fn hours every day of the week, I usually always watch our games. I'll give updates in here for those that don't watch.

5. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Not many are going to beat Gonzo in the air in Mexico. Defending 1v1 might not be his strength but he does more than his part in eating up crosses and cutting out the long balls.

6. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we can't beat them. So there's that. It's not the gap that there is between, say, MLS and La Liga, if that's what you mean. But because of their structure the benchwarmers in Liga MX would be high level starters in MLS. Omar is going to be an average to high-average player in Mexico. He was defender of the year in MLS. Their teams are just much, much deeper. That's why TAM was created in the first place.

7. Namrog The Just

Namrog The Just Member+

L.A. Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 2, 2007
    Baltimore County, Maryland
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vergara and Cue thought the same thing back in 2005. The results were less than impressive.

8. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he probably just moved up to starting CB for the Nats without kicking a ball! ;)

Actually, regardless of whether Liga MX is way better than MLS or just deeper, it has a different style. Gonzalez could improve his ability to defend against short passes on the ground, so it might make him a better player and improve his USMNT fortunes.

9. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad to see him leave the Galaxy but I guess he needed a change of scenery. Negatives : Mobility (duh he's 6'5") could be a tronco at times, touch & passing can be hit or miss. Strengths: Omar is as dominant a defender the usmnt has in the air & the dude can chug a bottle of beer in one gulp.

10. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yea that would be sweet. I love Pachuca because they are one of the couple of MX clubs that aren't afraid to develop their talented youngsters starting multiple u23s. Those guys all have big potential to go to Europe too.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The line of the day belongs to 101GreatGoals, who said that Pachuca just signed a defender from the LA Galaxy far far away.

Anyway, I think Gonzo will struggle in Liga MX, as theirs is not generally a "high cross into the box" style.

Bob Morocco and Winoman repped this.
  12. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're talking about a clown who took the most successful club in Mexico and has turned them into a team that's struggling to not get relegated. Vergara is probably the worst example of how Mexican teams operate. And to be fair, CUSA had some successful seasons. It was only when the Cues dropped out and it was clear that they had no intention of finding their own place to play that the bottom fell out completely.

JJV1994 repped this.
  13. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Was that when Marquez was with New York?

14. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It's not his best position. He's a pretty classic centerback, great in the air, decent at 1v1 defending, looks slower than he actually is and can make some great last minute tackles. He's not particularly quick (vs. fast) and not great with the ball at his feet, so if you're looking for that kind of libero, he's not ideal.

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    The stuff about leadership is article filler. Since the late 00's, We've only had 3 guys who can provide the sort of leadership that any team needs: Calero, Caballero, and Mosquera. To an extent Oscar Perez and Nahuelpan are getting there also. The young guys have been with the club since early teens and they identify with the institution so they won't look to a guy for leadership just because he's 5 years older and has been to a WC. He'll fit in just fine if he makes the effort, but no one will be looking to him for leadership.

LaMascara repped this.
  17. LaMascara

LaMascara Member+

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pachuca's a very fun team to watch, by the way.

JJV1994 and Overachiever repped this.
  19. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Gonzo will always be remembered for his role as Cameron in Mike Magee's Day Off.

Buena suerte!

LouisianaViking07/09 and Bubba1971 repped this.
  21. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of Mexican teams are fun to watch. I believe it's the most watched league in the United States. Too bad most MLS fans have a bizarre English fetish, all the way down to copying the lingo and doing Euro-Ultra-Cosplay.

Maybe a side benefit to Americans playing for Mexican teams will be MLS fans watching more Liga MX. They really are good teams and they play our teams pretty regularly. That, to me, is a lot more fun than following some team in a city in England I'll never, ever visit.

Don Boppero 3000 repped this.
  22. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Liga MX is a fun league to watch. It's literally a hodgepodge of everything that's good and bad about soccer. You have golazos, fights, rivalries, crazy fans, and great back and forth action. EPL to me seems to get more watered down every year. Other then Leicester, there's no real intrigue right now. MX is unpredictable. The recent tournament was insane. Hope Omar can pick up the speed quickly, because it's alot faster than MLS.

Don Boppero 3000, (TxT) and Bubba1971 repped this.
  23. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For more USMNT players to go abroad we need more USMNT players capable of playing at a higher level. Assuming you're not talking about playing in Armenia or Burma. People act like any USMNT player can walk into a CL club. That idea has wrecked a lot of players. The market decides where they'll play, not Jurgen and not the player.

Gonzalez going to Pachuca was a good move, but don't be surprised if he doesn't start. Donovan was lucky because he got tons of playing time and some good loans to Everton. His time in Germany almost ruined him, because he was in no way ready to play there.

24. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you figure?

25. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I think it's a good move. My point was, people say "We need more guys playing in Champions League". *COUGH*Jurgen*COUGH* But we need guys who can actually play at that level first. Until then MLS is a good choice for a lot of guys.

OMAR had zero competition at the Galaxy. Leonardo is completely incompetent and the other guys are fresh out of the academy. At Pachuca he'll be fighting for a starting spot every week. I think he can win that spot, but most MLS guys can't. For instance, if Zardes went to Mexico he'd probably sit until he got cut. That's just a fact. We don't need guys going to better leagues just because.

Borrachin and USAMEX10 repped this.