BigSoccer Shrugged: Omar Gonzalez at Atlas

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ussoccer97531, Dec 22, 2015.

1. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, el conejo still getting it done! Congrats to Omar & Pachuca! What a way to start your stint with a new club.

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  4. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
  5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    They're not paid per match.

superdave repped this.
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    oh so is it like in England where they'd paid weekly?

I'm just curious how it breaks down to friendlies or pre-season matches or when a player might play for the reserve squad

7. a4anthony

a4anthony Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Greer
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have yearly salaries. Maybe a couple of bonuses here and there, but they normally just have a based yearly salary.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New profile at Vice:

http://www.complex.com/sports/omar-...cialflow&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

“My Spanish wasn’t always the best if I’m being honest,” he says. “Growing up, I listened to my parents speak to me in Spanish, but I would always respond in English. So, in the beginning, I was nervous [about the move]. I’d never lived in Mexico. My parents had, but not me. There were a lot of questions going on in my mind, but it ended up being a smooth transition. I went there with an open mindset of just committing to it—fully committing and being open to anything and everything.”

9. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I feel like entering a uncomfortable situation is pretty beneficial for people in a lot of scenarios, soccer is super applicable. It would be interesting to see how it could benefit more people. But it's awesome to see Omar bounce back from being quiet poor in his last days in LA in a big way.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    did he visit Mexico often when he was a kid?

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like the CB duo messed up from Indy's twitter account. I can't watch but Zayed scored due to the Pachuca CB's getting crossed up.

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are the highlights. That was the only goal. The two CBs ended up in the same place and Omar's attempted clearance went off his partner to the Indy runner. Only goal of the match.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah unfortunate deflection, happy with the result though. ;)

15. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly NASL > Liga Mx:D

16. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    So management seem pretty content to not buy any CBs. They did buy two young right backs which is kind of puzzling. Lopez was expensive and Aguirre is probably the best RB prospect already playing first division football.

Aquivaldo and Rodriguez are gone. My best guess is that Medina will move to CB if he's needed there and one of the two new RBs will take his place. In such a case either Esquivel or Venegas (two best CB prospects not already playing first division football) would be the bench CB.

Pretty risky but unless we get very unlucky in losing any 2 man combo of Murillo, Omar, or Medina, we should be ok. In any case you don't get to be recognized as the club with the best youth system in the league without taking those kinds of risks. (One misfortune is that it looks like Esquivel and Venegas didn't really develop physically all that well. They're pretty short CBs)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winoman and ImaPuppy repped this.
  17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts tonight against Tigres in the Campeon de Campeones MX at StubHub Center:

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. COMUS

COMUS New Member

Apr 27, 2016
    @Salmos Is is just me, or does he look like he lost weight / muscle ?

20. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    must be that personal chef of his

21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Different countries have different systems/rules/conventions, so take the following with a (shovel-sized) pinch of salt, but IIRC the importance of bonuses in a player's annual income is usually less than us Anglophones think. That's because the UK - alone in the world - used to have a maximum wage - yes, you did read that correctly - that applied across all 4 divisions. Up to the early mid-60s that was 20 pounds a week, dropping to 12 pounds per week in the off-season. Appearance bonuses, goal-scoring bonuses and the like were a way around those restrictions so they could give a squad regular a 50% boost to his weekly wage just by getting on to the pitch.

Germany apart, no other country chose to go down anything like that route, so bonuses are relatively less inportant in a player's contract. And nobody ever got a bonus for appearing in a pre-season friendly.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering how valuable to attendance some of the big name players is, I'll bet some extra money changed hands when Messi or Ronaldo was thinking about skipping one of the big US preseason matches.

23. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Now, that's in their contract - unless the doctor signs off on an injury, "The moth has landed and he can't get up" - they have to play. Besides, that's what the sponsors want too.

But the off-the-field deals are largely guaranteed too, with a certain number of personal appearances stipulated as well.

As a side note, Messi made $2M per day visiting some Asian semi-dictatorship last off-season. Technically, he can make more by not playing, a la Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian.

24. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    We beat Pachuca Jrs 5-1 in our first game of the season. Overall solid game for the defenders. A couple of hiccups.

25. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    He probably could have closed down faster on the goal, but that shot was outstanding anyway.