BigSoccer Book Club

Discussion in 'Books' started by sarabella, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I was joking about that selection.

2. CosmosKramer

CosmosKramer Member

Sep 24, 2000
    Yokohama
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For June, would anyone be interested in reading "Coming Up For Air" by George Orwell?

I'm very curious about this book, as it seems to be considered the best of his lesser known work - some even say it's his best book period.

I plan on reading it regardless, but, of course, it would be great to be able to discuss with others. Anyway, here's the Amazon link with reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0156196255/102-9218436-4708948?v=glance&n=283155

And to whet your appetite a bit - you can read the first chapter here:

http://whitewolf.newcastle.edu.au/words/authors/O/OrwellGeorge/prose/ComeingUpforAir/1_1.html

3. Nicodemus145

Nicodemus145 Member

Jul 10, 2003
    AL
    I would like to join yall for this. When is the "deadline" for this book (i.e. when do you start talking about it)? The end or the middle of the month? I looked at the Feb and March threads and couldn't see a descernable answer...

ps - for what it's worth, my favorite book of all is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Tops on my list include A Tale of Two Cities, On The Road, and The Andromeda Strain. Recommended reading: A Star Called Henry by Roddy Doyle, White Noise by Don DeLillo, and The Shy Photographer by Jock Carroll.
    I'm an english major who knows jack crap about books, has burned out on reading, and am seriously regretting my choice of major (plus I got a job at a video store and have been watching movies nonstop to recommend stuff for customers and to keep up with fellow employees' conversations).

My only vote is that we read a horror novel for October.
    Are short story collections an option? I have one of George Orwell's that has some great stuff in it and that I'd like to finish.

4. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I can gather most of us quit reading after starting anyways. :p just kidding.. sorta.. but really theres no deadline. The first book had the best banter for us because it was short and people were able to finish it. The rest have not had as much (although I have been on the same book since March :eek:)

5. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
  6. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    I seriously doubt many of us will be reading during the month of June, so let me know if you guys want to pick a book for next month.

If we do, can I suggest The Thinking Fan's Guide to the World Cup by Matt Weiland and Sean Wilsey?

I know it's non-fiction, but I thought it would be fun anyway.

7. Nicodemus145

Nicodemus145 Member

Jul 10, 2003
    AL
    I'd rather finish the copy of Snow Crash my friend lent me. It was just getting good when I had to put it on pause.

My .02

8. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    bump - anyone? Thoughts?

9. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow that looks extremely interesting. I'm leaving for Europe in 3 days (!!!! :D) and am looking for something to read, that migh tbe something.

edit: unfortunatelly I'm not sure if I'll be in the States when it comes out... I hope I can pick it up at Barnes and Noble in Atlanta on Saturday or Sunday. Do you think they would have shipped by then, Sara?

10. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    I dunno - I thought it was already out, since nicodemus said he was reading it.

11. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, blah. I just looked on The B and N site and Amazon and it said June 1 for some reason. Oh well, I shall look in Atlanta and at any airport bookstores (you know they have everything :D) for it.

12. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Life of Pi was brilliant.

I'm going to start into Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian now as I realized I hadn't read any of the top books of the past 25 years list that recently came out. Feel free to join me and make it July's book. Q

13. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Anyone want to pick this back up? I'd love to make another selection for July/August.

14. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell? I have skipped a few and started reading a history book but I'd be happy to pick another one up with you guys before school starts.

15. Nicodemus145

Nicodemus145 Member

Jul 10, 2003
    AL
    Would Dostoevsky be too much? I have yet to read one of his books, but I hear great things (from actual tangible people, not critics), and the quotes people cite are always great.

I still stand by my vote for Snow Crash from a while back though.

16. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking some relativelly easy and enjoyable summer reading.

17. Nicodemus145

Nicodemus145 Member

Jul 10, 2003
    AL
    So suggest something

18. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The Brothers Karamazov is one of the best books I've ever read (if not the best). I spent most of a summer during my college years reading it. It's obviously a bit long. I'll throw Notes from the Underground out there, if only to give me an excuse to get around to reading it. Good ol' Fyodor is not often known for being easy and enjoyable, however.

19. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you haven't read "Everything Is Illuminated", you must.

Must.

20. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  21. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    The interest for this seems to have died down. If you want to continue, please list your #1 and #2 picks for August.

22. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, I haven't participated before but would like to this month.

My two choices would be:

[​IMG]as above,

or

[​IMG]God's Grace, Bernard Malamud

I would also suggest Cat's Cradle, Kurt Vonnegut, but I know you guys read something of his recently.

23. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    1. Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy

I'm struggling through the beginning of this one, but I'm trying. Question number one would be, "Where the hell are all the quotation marks?"

2. Whatever. I'm getting married and probably won't participate until Sept.

Q

24. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    1. Catch-22, Joseph Heller.
    2. For Whom The Bell Tolls, Ernest Hemingway.

25. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Iceberg-Clive Cussler
    2. The Third Secret-Steve Berry