BigSoccer Book Club

Discussion in 'Books' started by sarabella, Dec 22, 2005.

1. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    I saw the History Book Club thread and it made me wonder if any of you would be interested in starting a BS book club? I'm always reading something and although I usually come here to discuss it when I'm finished anyway, I thought it might be more fun if we were all reading the same book and could discuss it as we're reading.

Just a thought. Anyone interested in joining?

2. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Good idea, since I've been unable to find a book club around my town.

I read Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men" back in HS and didn't think too much of that, but have been thinking for the past couple of years that I ought to go back and re-read. Would you be up for that???

3. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    I'd be up for that. Might take me a week or two to find the book here - I'll let you know when I have a copy of it.

Also, let's see if anyone else is interested in joining a book club. Like you, I haven't found one (in English) here.

4. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds interesting, I dunno if I would have time and patience to go through long books what with college work and stuff but it sounds interesting if you guys can get it started, etc.

5. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    We're thinking of starting in the New Year. I'm sure we can accommodate most people with reading requirements. After all, we're all busy people.

Val mentioned assigning the first 100 pages and then discussing. I'll take care of starting the discussion next week, and I'll try to find some discussion questions. I guess we can plan to start 1 January.

Does 100 pages per week sound like too much?

6. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can be done if I set myself to it. Especially if there are books that grasp and hold my interest :)

Of Mice and Men you all wanted to start with? Steinbeck is it?

7. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    It's fine with me, unless someone has another suggestion.

8. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    SOunds like something managable. I'm also thinking a book a month. I would think the two would keep it light enough.

Also, do we need to use the result tag when talking about the book? :D

9. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes result tag needed.

Upon further research, Of Mice and Men is only 128 or someodd pages long. So make of that what you will when you said 100 pages a week.

10. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    One book a month sounds completely reasonable. I guess we can use this thread to make suggestions for book selections. If we all agree on Of Mice and Men for January, I'll start taking suggestions for February.

I had planned on using an [R] in the title - they do it for movies in the MTVM forum. Smartass. :D

11. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you guys wanting just to do any kind of books, or certain types of books, or certain types of books in certain orders (classic, then new fiction, then maybe nonfiction... I dont know just wondering).

12. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    I'm open for anything. There are certain genres that I'm not particularly fond of, but I'm always willing to try something new.

As long as it's not Danielle Steele or some similar pile of crap, I'm ok with it.

13. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Howard Zinn

Howard Zinn Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I would be up for this too, but like Striker I get bogged down with college stuff so I may get behind. This may sound stupid, but I'm an English major that has never read Steinbeck, not even Grapes of Wrath, so starting with him is cool by me.

15. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
  16. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    I was thinking of starting one of these a few months back, but I am pressed for time at the moment.

If there's a book that takes my fancy, I'll certainly give it a read and express my thoughts on it. :)

17. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Oh yes and I red Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men in what you call Junior High School.

I'll have to remember most of it....

18. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Smartass? Now why would you ever call me that? :)

I think Mice and Men would be a good one to start with.

19. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    This sounds great. I've needed something to get me motivated in reading again. I had given up reading books after getting my English major. I'm a couple years from that, though, so burnout isn't an excuse anymore. :D

Since those that are students out there don't want to heavy a reading load, I would suggest keeping to shorter books during the semester and maybe hitting some big ones over the summer. Might I suggest a Vonnegut book for sometime this spring, since he's a quick read? (I've been wanting to revisit Slaughterhouse 5.)

Q

20. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    I just finished Slaughterhouse-Five, but I'd be willing to take a deeper look at it. Vonnegut is a quick read and I've been wanting to get my eyes on Breakfast of Champions as well.

I was thinking - we should all get one or two "veto" votes a year. That way, if someone suggests a book that you absolutely cannot read, but you don't want to sit the month out, you can use your veto and we have to choose something else.

I'm also going to get the thread started and the questions up for Of Mice and Men, if we all agree on that one for January. It is really short, so the 100 pages per week will be too much but I think it's a good one to start with to see how much time everyone has.

Any objections?

21. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is fine with me, trying to finish my Clive Cussler (though Christmas got in the way) and am going to go to the Library and get this and try to finish before I go back to uni.

22. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Well, I'd say any Vonnegut book, but I'm getting ahead of myself. As I just went and checked out Of Mice And Men, I'm all for it. Q

23. Howard Zinn

Howard Zinn Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cool by me, as long as no one picks up anything in the checkout lane at Wal-Mart. :p

I won't get back to school until the 3rd and I'll pick up Mice and Men within a few days of that. I've also read Slaughter-House Five and would be up for a re-read.

24. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    18th for me :D

25. Howard Zinn

Howard Zinn Member

Aug 9, 2005