Biggest pet peeves

Discussion in 'Referee' started by voiceoflg, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    The assignor (and former National Assistant Referee Candidate) for the state's competitive youth league is also a high school coach. Middle of the pack girls team from a weak league. Fortunately, I've not been assigned to do his high school games because I'd probably turn them back. Just too much going on there. Not that I've done any of the games he assigns since he became the assignor.

Reportedly, Cliff McCrath's team was a difficult assignment, back in the day when he was the NCAA Secretary/Rules Editor, because "Uncle Nubbie" always had his opinion about what the NCAA rule said. Fortunately for me, the only time I did one of his games was a scrimmage against a pro team, so we were using IFAB and not NCAA.

I carry a gauge and a pump. 99% of the adult teams I do do not have a pump. I'm sick and tired of starting a game, after just a finger check for pressure, and the players immediately start appealing "Ref, the ball is flat." It's just easier. These days, almost all balls have soft covers and the finger test just doesn't work anymore.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  2. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Any coach or player that even knows what PI means is not one you want to tell to go get certified.

rh89 and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  3. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Actually if a coach did that to me, I'd probably start laughing and pat him on the back and say fair enough. You had to be there obviously but I see that as pretty funny actually.

tomek75, rh89, dadman and 1 other person repped this.
  4. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I was AR1 for high school varsity boys. The referee cautioned a player for PI and came over to report. He told the coach the caution was for "persistent infringement." "What?" "Persistent infringement, coach." "What's that?" "Too many fouls, coach." "Oh. Okay."

ArgylleRef, dadman and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  5. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Desultory persiflage, coach.

chwmy, dadman and voiceoflg repped this.
  6. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Some day, and this day may never come, I may call on this phrase to do a service for me.

7. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not gonna lie. I hate that NFHS only thinks this is a caution. Come hell or high water the coach that did this would be dismissed before I restarted the game.

8. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Had a guy grab a ball from the field before it left the playing area, the lines were weak, but you could see them (I think they ran out of white and mixed it with blue, looked awful), I'm running just behind the ball and loudly saying, "no,no, don't leave it!", he picks it up, I flag down CR, explain, coach claims he couldn't see the line, restarted with a FK for opposing team.
    A mess handled poorly. ugh!

9. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate it when a guy named "Bubba" makes me look something up :oops:;)