Biggest pet peeves

Discussion in 'Referee' started by voiceoflg, Nov 8, 2017.

1. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    I just tell them that is cardworthy and they should quit it. Its hard to card for this because there is often some merit to their plaint.

On the other hand, our HS assigner gave us the green light to card for the two arm spread wide, pleading gesture, when they don't get a whistle. ...which I appreciate.

Rufusabc repped this.
  2. Soccer Dad & Ref

Oct 19, 2017
    San Diego
    Making a TV square sign is cardable now with VAR (in games with VAR), so can't see how the pretend card in the air isn't either

voiceoflg repped this.
  3. CPT_Hoolie

CPT_Hoolie Member

May 2, 2013
    Florida (South)
    Is it the referee's job also to bring spray paint to paint a penalty spot?
    To bring chalk to fix incorrect or missing lines?
    To bring sandbags to anchor goals?
    To carry corner flags in the trunk of the car?

Any of those things would fix the problem in 30 seconds...but those responsible for the nonconforming items are not being held accountable, and will likely not learn that these things need to be to standard before the game.

I am with Jayhonk: I carry a gage but no pump.

I also check in the home team first, collect the game ball, which I present to the visiting captains and say "we're playing with this ball today, is it OK with you?" If there's a dispute, better to resolve it before the game starts.

dadman repped this.
  4. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Well, for HS season I do keep a bag of big cable ties in my kit for net repairs. :oops:

Dayton Ref and dadman repped this.
  5. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My current pet peeve is when you have signaled for advantage and people start yelling that you've missed the foul.

There have been times when this happens that I have been tempted to call the original foul especially when the attacking team has a good goal scoring chance and say, "Apparently, you didn't want the advantage so we are taking a free kick from midfield." But I have never done that!

6. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is nothing saying you can NOT card for this, just nothing stating you MUST. DT is very much ITOOTR which unfortunately can lead to very inconsistent application. In my experience you are going to get more negative results from carding this than trying to manage it first however it you deem it DT (and every circumstance is different) then a YC would be appropriate.

SouthernYank repped this.
  7. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    In our MBB league I had a guy do that. He said "YOU'VE GOT TO CALL THAT" after we had the advantage discussion. Next foul, he gets off a long pass to his teammate as he is fouled ... "Tweet". His teammate looking at one-on-one with the keeper was not happy. I have no idea what discussion took place after the game.

SccrDon, Law5, IASocFan and 4 others repped this.
  8. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    A significant pet peeve of mine is people who complain about officiating and then look at you like you are a Martian when you suggest they get certified.

Put up or shut up, Bub!

dadman and voiceoflg repped this.
  9. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    UEFA still recommends cautioning for dissent in this situation on their latest RAP (2017:1) release.

10. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I had a similar situation in a State Cup QF a few years ago. Not more than 30 minutes into the game and the (British) coach of the team that would eventually win 4-0 had commented loudly on every potential call/non-call.

Of course, when his player is scythed down right in front of his technical area (in their defending half) but has managed to play the ball forward to a teammate with some space -- admittedly advantage -- he and the rest of my bench are right in my line of sight as they call jump off the bench pleading for a foul and I react with the whistle when it was the easiest and most obvious situation to call advantage.

He, of course, then turns and says "that sound have been advantage." I had the luxury you didn't -- of telling the coach directly that, while I should have played advantage, his actions up to and including that particular moment didn't help.

Thankfully he got the message.

IASocFan and dadman repped this.
  11. grasskamper

grasskamper Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    dadman repped this.
  12. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rockwell ran into this on twitter recently. Guy literally claimed without a drop of irony that he could step on the field right now and do a better job. It was amusing.

Geko repped this.
  13. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a national referee once said at a clinic I attended, "do the least necessary". If a stern word gets the job done, the YC is saved for more important issues.

Rufusabc repped this.
  14. LiftYourGame

LiftYourGame New Member

Manchester United
    Nov 17, 2017
    ARs (normally young ones although I even saw this at the Australia vs Honduras second leg game) that move while holding the flag up. Looks very unprofessional.

15. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Thought of a couple more:
    --using the Build-Out Line to judge offside
    --online recertification

16. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I've only ever seen a BOL twice, but what's wrong with using it to judge offside? (After all, isn't that why they paint those lines every five yards on HS fields?)

voiceoflg repped this.
  17. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Not like I've given this much thought, but...

Since the BOL is halfway between midfield and the PA, you have increased the part of the field in which the ball can be received (or at U10, stumbled upon randomly). My observation is that this has the effect of creating a pachinko kill-zone which runs counter to the goal of encouraging play out of the back. Use the BOL for ball into play and leave Law 11 out of it, IMHO.

Separate but related, the youngest games now have a weird wrinkle not present at any other age, lessening the attractiveness of U10 as a sandbox for new ARs--they only need to patrol between BOL and the corner. Almost better to start them at U11.

18. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Ah, so you mean using the BOL for defining offside rather than for judging it. Yes? That makes sense.

By "judging" I mean that I often use the yard lines on HS fields to help me judge OS when I'm not in perfect position on a dual.

19. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Nothing like a poor word choice to screw up a perfectly good rant!

Yes, the gridiron lines are a valuable part of this complete breakfast. And in CO/CA/OR I imagine the hashmarks take on a whole new meaning!

dadman, Law5 and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  20. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? My 2018 recertification exam was so valuable for my development. It asked hard hitting questions like "True or False: Does having a strong personality help a referee during an adult amateur game?"

dadman and Geko repped this.
  21. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    While this was my initial thought, there is actually a good reason to use the BOL as the OS line. There is not much space between the halfway line and the BOL. If OS starts at the halfway line the defense will push up to there. That means on GK/GK possession, all of the defenders are jammed into a small horizontal space making it difficult if not impossible to build through the midfield. Using the BOL as the OS line forces some of the defenders further back (at least if the teams are well coached), which creates more space on the small field.

But I do agree that if we were designing this level for referee training instead of player training, we would never do it that way. Not because it is an extra wrinkle, but because it means there is less for the AR to do--the newbies will get less experience in moving with the OS line and actually calling OS. And will be more bored.

22. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    You're right - it is a hard hitting question. And it's a question, not a statement. So true/false has no meaning here.

SccrDon repped this.
  23. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    At a tourney, I'm coaching, the CR is oblivious to my holding midfielder getting persistently fouled, I ask him about it (yeah, yeah, I know, shut my yap, but it was bad enough that I was getting pretty upset), he asks me if I'd rather have the foul or the advantage, I tell him I want advantage, but to have a word about PI. He tells me that if I think I can do a better job, then go get a yellow shirt. I have my bag with me (doubles as my coaching bag), so I pull out my shirt and say "you mean, like this one?"
    Obviously, not cool on my part, a bit of an a-hole move, but it was kind of satisfying in the moment (I've coached with the opposing coach before, and he finds a team's best player and just has kis defense just foul the crap out of them). I'd have dismissed me, but he didn't, all the coaches had a giggle about it. I guess the lesson is be careful about telling people to go get certified, etc... because eventually someone out there is going to have their gear and be a big enough turd to pull it out and make everyone uncomfortable.
    Not proud of it.

tomek75 and dadman repped this.
  24. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Had a high school coach reach onto the field to knock down a ball that was in the air, going down the line. It was a dual and I was R1, so it was very clear to me that he had done it to keep the ball from getting to an unmarked player from the opposing team. At the time, the NFHS Rule 12 started off with something like 'A player, coach or bench personnel who ....' So I whistled the coach for deliberate handling and cautioned him for unsporting behavior. The commissioner (assignor) was astonished that the coach's post game referee evaluation rated me a 10 and my dual partner a 5. "Are you sure he knew he was being cautioned?" "Showed him the card and everything!" This was the coach that, later in the same game, actually asked me "Are my guys okay or do I need to reign them in a bit?" He was an interesting coach.

dadman repped this.
  25. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely smart note, though. I know of at least one former pro AR that coaches a high school team. Can you imagine saying that to him? I'd crawl in a hole if he pulls out a PRO badge.