Biggest Derby Game in UK

Discussion in 'England Rivalries' started by Alan D, Jan 14, 2006.

1. elsoluis

elsoluis New Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Ft. Worth TX
    Liverpool vs. Everton

2. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Why does this miss out so many of the largest derbies? Blackburn v Burnley is bigger than Blackburn v Bolton, Bolton v Wigan is bigger than it aswell. United v Liverpool? Wolves vs WBA? Seriously this is shit.

3. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Isnt Burnley v Presston bigger than Blackburn?

It includes Boro v Newcastle but misses out Newcastle v Sunderland.

Pointless thread

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  4. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nah Blackburn v Burnley is the biggest in Lancashire I think, mainly because it's 2 sets of retards fighting against each other, which is always funny. It's always funny to watch everything near Ewood Park get boarded up and shut down for the day, so the twats can kill each other.

This isn't even accurate in the slightest, every Yank homo has just voted for their team because they have no idea who their actual rival is. 'Other' should have about 400 votes, as should Old Firm.

5. BlackburnRover

BlackburnRover New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    M6
    Yeah thanks for that enlightening summary from the Bolton corner.

But to get back to your other point I've never understood why Blackburn Bolton is billed as the big Lancashire derby either. Our rivalry's with Burnley, like yours is with Wigan. Losing to Bolton wouldn't bother me anywhere near the same as losing to Burnley. There's a bit of local rivalry but nothing like a real derby game. In fact I like to see Bolton do well, even if some of the more mouthy ones do think of us as retards.:rolleyes:

Preston Burnley has a bit of local Rivalry, but for Burnley the big one's still Blackburn. Preston's big hatred is with Blackpool.

So here its

Blackburn Burnley
    Bolton Wigan
    Blackpool Preston

The rest is just a bit of local banter in comparison.

And for the rest of the thread, yeah it seems to miss out some of the real rivalries.

6. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Haha ye, ******** off I'm not mouthy. :D Bolton v Blackburn is more like you obviously want to win and they'll be some friendly banter, but at the end of the day it's only 3 points, there's no pride at stake. Bury claim to have a big rivalry with Bolton aswell, so it's always nice to beat them because no one actually gives a shit about Bury.

I also talk about Blackburn v Burnley as a load of twats fighting because I live pretty close to Ewood Park so I've seen the cockends.

7. BlackburnRover

BlackburnRover New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    M6
    Yeah I remember you saying. To be honest there are some bellends, mainly from the Dingle camp (I'm not biased), they can't leave the 80s behind and they still point at planes.;)

I remember when we played there in the cup, they couldn't get at us because of the very efficient policing so they trashed their own town centre out of frustration. Then at the replay a load of them got off the train early so they could pay our town centre a visit, the police were expecting them and marched them miles to the ground. Divs. We won too, rubbish game, brilliant night.

Bury! You must shit yourselves;)

8. ollielaws

ollielaws New Member

May 4, 2009
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    wot blackburn burnley is in the 1 of the biggest derbys in england
    mile bigger than blackburn bolton and bolton wigan there jsut little derby as for blackburn bunrley they both hate each other alot my brother supports rovers and he went toturf moor when they plyed and he said the atmoshire was electric

so all the people saying its justa little derbys it aint trust me

aslo if u dont believ it is big it is 8th in the biggest derbys in britain

9. ollielaws

ollielaws New Member

May 4, 2009
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    also wigan bolton is probebly the worst derbys ever it aint even a derby so who eevr made this shud put blackburn bunrley on and i bet u there would be alot of voted on it

10. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    isnt liverpool-manU the biggest derby of the country?

11. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    That's not a derby, they're in different cities.

12. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    so a derby is a match between teams from the same city?

i thought barca- madrid was the spaniard "derbi", so is manU-l'pool just a regular game?

13. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Barca/Madrid is not a derby, no matter what they call it.

14. UShornet

UShornet Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't read through the entire thread but how can you not mention Watford v Luton Town! I think next to Arsenal/Tottenham, it was given the second best derby game by FourFourTwo Mag. My history with Watford doesn't go back years and years so I don't have a hatred for Luton like all other Watford fans do, but it is a bloody hatred they have between eachother.

15. EstebanGranero23

Sep 25, 2005
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whaaaaaat?? Wheres Fulham-Chelski?

16. AndyinBurnley

AndyinBurnley New Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Club:
    Burnley FC
    Blackburn v Bolton is hardly a rivalry.
    Burnley v Blackburn is one you should be looking forward to this season.
    One of the oldest in the league, if not the, and usually pretty vicious.

17. 51BLU

51BLU Member

Aug 17, 2007
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Celtic v Rangers

Due to the added religious complication & the fact that they are currently the only 2 clubs capable of winning the SPL.

18. ArgyleEd

ArgyleEd Member

Jul 20, 2009
    London
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sorry for bringing up such an old post but I couldn't ignore that. Plymouth v Exeter is the proper derby, Torquay doesn't come close. The proper Devon derby's quite a good one, we've not played the Excretians for a long time now but there's a lot of hated there. For the biggest though, it's got to be the old firm, nothing comes close.

19. Throbbin Wood

Throbbin Wood New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    MN, from Manchester!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    West Ham vs. Millwall, because they fought on Green Street Hooligans. It's like Israelis/Palestinians, so they say.....

But seriously, the most heated derby match in the UK is Celtic/Rangers. They play each other a ton of times during the season, but add in all of the politics and religious bollocks and it's a hate that goes beyond the game. Sad but true.

20. TFoAV

TFoAV New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Not only is Celtic v Rangers more often than not a tilt between the future winner and runner-up of the league in pretty much any particular season, you know a rivalry is hotter than the sun when it crosses into religion. When it comes to terms like that, I can't really think of another crosstown derby in the UK that compares. Other derbies are just heated. Celtic v Rangers is dead freaking serious business.

21. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

I concur on Wolves vs WBA. They despise each other

22. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Wrong

23. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tottenham V Arsenal. I remember at the end of the 4-4 thriller at the shiterates they were throwing bottles at us. Don't know if they were glass or plastic but still that is pretty ruthless. It gets nasty.

24. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009
    Why "sad"?

25. Throbbin Wood

Throbbin Wood New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    MN, from Manchester!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't really care about religion or politics. As a spectator who likes a good heated ruck, it sure makes things interesting, I will admit. I love the blood and thunder of a great rivalry. But I don't like how all of that bleeds over into a sport because I think it's a bit thick. It's for those idiots who treat this game like it's something more than it really is, and need some perspective.

I know it's not as bad as before, but hey, as long as innocent people don't get pulled in, I don't mind these people beating each other up and getting all pissed. It's entertaining as a neutral.