BigData Moderator

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by BalanceUT, Mar 7, 2016.

1. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a formal complaint that BigData should have moderator privileges revoked. IMO, BigData is argumentative and occasionally disrespectful of other posters. Moderators have an obligation to post at a very high standard and not engage in behavior that would have a chance of leading to sanction if done by other posters.

Particularly, I am not alone in publicly stating I would like to be able to ignore BigData. I have a feeling it is unusual for long-time posters who exhibit generally good behavior to desire to ignore a moderator because of posting behavior (as opposed to disagreeing with his/her moderating style, which usually comes from a malcontented poster who is trying to avoid managing his/her own behavior).

That is to say, there are a good number of folks who are tired of the argumentative style of someone who is supposed to present a higher standard of behavior.

Or give us the ability to ignore a moderator. It can be something that has to be approved by another moderator, but give us something.

TheJoeGreene and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Any examples?

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://forums.bigsoccer.com/members/bigdata.236354/ is BigData's posting history. Without reading his whole posts, its obvious that he's mad at a red card in MLS yesterday. I'm not taking sides and I didn't see the red card. I'm just trying to provide facts.

4. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And?

Having an opinion that's different from yours isn't un-mod-like.

6. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And by the way... he posted four posts on the subject. All very short, none of them inflammatory, and it happened in a six-minute span. It's not like he dragged the thread down for hours.

7. doog

doog Member

Jun 11, 2006
    He was fairly belligerent in the offseason movement discussion thread with regards to Nocerino. I think some of his posts have been scrubbed, but there are still a ton of posts on February 19th and 20th (here's one: http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads...ment-discussion.2026459/page-61#post-33611796)

I don't have a problem with him being a mod on the Orlando board, but I'd prefer to either be able to block him or that he tone down his rhetoric in N&A.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  8. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    That post seems the opposite of belligerent to me. Mods are supposed to disagree respectfully, but we don't ask them to conform their opinions to consensus or not be biased. Unfortunately, the software doesn't currently allow for ignoring mods in forums they don't moderate, but if you know going in that you think his opinion is overly biased, it's easy to move on from it then right? Ignore is a nice tool, but it's not like we are pavlov's troll response dogs. (No, I didn't say he's trolling.)

I'm copying @Ismitje who would know the history better than me and can get involved and ask posters in his forum to chill a little, if needed.

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Seems to me that @BigData tends to get himself in trouble on the MLSN&A running thread. I don't know if he rubs people the wrong way elsewhere, but over and over he doesn't seem to play nicely there. That's where today's complaint arose too.

I don't usually mix it up with him, but last month, after he got into a protracted argument that dominated pages upon pages, I posted this in reply to him:
    If you want another example of his posting, you can follow that link back. It goes on for many pages before my reply.

Anyway, if @BigData could let things slide a little more easily (and with a lot more humor), I think some of these complaints would die down.

10. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Seems like a reasonable request.

I'll let @Ismitje and @BigData sort this out.

11. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    It seems to me that some people don't like my opinions, and therefore don't like me. Throughout the Nocerino saga, others disagreed with my opinions. I am fairly certain I have never attacked anyone though I have been often attacked. Some people don't like strong opinions, I guess.

In any event, I don't expect to spend much time in that thread going forward.

12. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Has it really come to this. Big Data can say whatever he wants. It is his opinion. He never said anything derogatory or insulting. His posts were not off topic.

I understand if people want to be able to block a mod in a forum the mod has "no jurisdiction", but if the technology is not present, just block him the old fashioned way...scroll past his post or just ignore it.

While we are talking about banning people. There are a few lurkers on MLS N&A, I wouldn't mind banning on principle.

13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have that same thought every day.

sitruc repped this.
  14. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's nothing wrong with having a strong opinion. And most reasonable people around here do not equate a dislike of an opinion with a dislike of the poster.

What people do dislike, is repeated and continual hardheadedness and unwillingness to consider other points of view. Going on and on and on to try and drive a point home with repeated posts about the same subject when everyone else is ready to move on. Not recognizing when you've made your point and now it's time to either forget about it or recognize that maybe there's a side you missed. People also dislike thin skin and a persecution complex ("I have been often attacked. Some people don't like strong opinions, I guess.").

No one is trying to kick you out of the forum or any thread in particular. I don't agree that you should be stripped of being a moderator, and that request is overboard in my opinion. But there is an issue with the peons being unable to put you on ignore because of your mod status, so that's when something like this thread happens. Like Knave said, if you could just dial it down and let things slide a little, the complaints would likely go away.

15. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    On the running thread, his posts absolutely were "off topic" for the reason I noted above in my quote.

TheJoeGreene and Gamecock14 repped this.
  16. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I walked right into that one.

17. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    That is a very reasonable request, and if I continue to hang around those threads that is my intent.

18. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then it appears that the purpose of this thread is accomplished.

Thank you to the folks who chimed in with other examples than mine while I was teaching my class and in a meeting.

BigData and Sachsen repped this.
  19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I support @BigData becoming a MLS News & Analysis moderator.

20. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Only if he changes his name to @Who'sYourData.

Sachsen, BigData and KCbus repped this.
  21. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    By the way. I agree it w
    I'm very disappointed I cannot find a place to change my name.

22. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look Bro, you're not a total dick, but you can't seem to leave the Purple at the door.

It's not your opinions, it's dogged defense of anything that happens to any Orlando player. You want to bitch about that? Take it to the team forum or grow a pair and head to MLS Rivalries, where no one cares about your opinion and we're just trying to determine your ethnicity and parents sexual proclivities so we can unload ad hominem attacks on your position.

23. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You request it in Customer Service, or you could ask in the Moderator forums. I mean, how is it that I know more about the back of house operations of BigSoccer and the Mod Forums than the current mobs

24. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Obviously you only read certain posts and ignore others.

25. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Because you are older than dirt, and I'm only a "mod" in the tiny Orlando subforums?