Big West Shuffle?

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by espola, Aug 11, 2018.

1. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Waking from my long winter's nap*, I found 2 articles of interest to BW men's soccer fans -- Cal State Bakersfield and UCSD admitted as full members of BW by 2020 season. UCSD is transitioning from DII to DI, and Bakersfield will move from the WAC.

https://www.bakersfield.com/sports/...cle_de328a94-d3ae-11e7-bc20-e72b6d0593d6.html

https://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/pressrelease/division1

The 7+1 men's soccer alignment the last few years (with Sac State as the UC Davis travel/destination partner) allowed the conference to make a logical north-south split with good geography and established rivalries preserved. I'm not sure how that would work out with 9+1. Bakersfield in the north and UCSD in the south?

*That was just for poetic structure - what really happened was that I stumbled onto UCSD's BW announcement while I was reading up on the "retirement" of UCSD's women's soccer coach in the face of alleged NCAA violations (the coach told a local reporter that he gave the team "pizza money").

2. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  3. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    The Big West has already ditched the north-south arrangement. The conference is playing a 7-game schedule this season, with the top 6 making the conference tournament. There are 3 instances of non-conference matchups within the conference: the Cal Poly/UCSB rivalry, the Davis/Sac State rivalry and UC Riverside/UCSB for some inexplicable reason. UCSB head coach Tim Vom Steeg was one of the biggest proponents of reducing the conference season, and he promptly filled 2 of the 3 openings with conference opponents.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  4. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    OverseasView repped this.
  5. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    In the same restaurant where I left my cell phone. Unfortunately I do not remember the name of the city…. Just that there are some traffic lights close to this restaurant.:confused:

espola and JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  6. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis would probably play Sac State twice a season even if Sac State were not included in the conference standings because of the Causeway Cup tradition (and it's also a really cheap road trip).
    A couple of months ago I had the luxury to have plenty of time to prepare for a drive to Tucson. I did all my laundry and prepared my favorite clothes. I didn't care how heavy the suitcase was because I was driving.

When I got to the hotel, I realized I had left my suitcase on my bed at home,

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  7. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    With your car keys?;)

8. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for reviving this headache. Now I'm disgusted again.:mad: Any way we can ditch the Birds?