Big Soccer World Draft

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Mar 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

i am putting up the cup polls - in a few hours, i will do a random draw with 4 groups of 4 and drafters can begin to finalize general tactics and formations

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I was simply saying I don't have an official voice, is all.

Fair enough.

Disagree here. The consensus was that all players picked will be adjudged fit as of the date of this "tournament". Nothing was said regarding the brittleness of those players. It has to be a factor with the quality of these teams. Don't you think one of Roberto Carlos's strengths is his fitness?

Either way is fine by me. But not taking the injury history of a player like Michael Owen into account seems silly to me. In that case, why have a bench at all?

3. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    can u explain how this will be done?

also, I like the idea of the group thing, I am assuming that means at least 3 matches for each team... I can imagine managers cringing if and when they get drawn in the group of death... this is even more fair than the simple single elimination method which I guess will happen after the group stage is done because it allows for a group with 2 great teams to qualify 2 teams and thus favorites might not exit early...

4. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if i had to guess he will randomly draw groups.. and then start a thread for each match, with a poll, in which people vote and chime in their opinions... the team managers would of course post their lineup and dispositions.

Doesn't seem so difficult...

5. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there any more rounds?

thanks

6. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    If i disappear at any time it is due to PC problems :mad: It still hasn't even been settled if this is 16 player-squads yet? :/

I'd prefer 22 cover for each position. If it is to be 16 i'm going to take Pessotto strictly due to his flexibility and dutifulness. IF however this is going to be 18 or 22 I don't want him...so what gives?

I am going to post up my system very shorty also. Just so people can see how fair and balanced it is...I'd also be interested to see someone else tabulate the teams using it and see how much they score the teams.

Posting up an open poll in the Beutiful Game forum is flawed from the start. Some people have more friends/fans online then others and immediately they can pile up votes for no particular reason but their screen name!! Also it's open to people at colleges or work going from one PC to another and voting for themselves, lol. I wouldn't bet that such a poll would garner results based purely around the teams displayed.

7. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
  8. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we quite clearly decided that it was one vote per team, with votes posted. As it is, I picked Song Chong-Gug mainly because it was 16... if it were longer I probably would have picked someone different.

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

it is 16, we are done drafting

10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    random draw of the groups

GROUP A
    Jon Pall
    Impaled
    GunnersBT
    Ruff Ryder

GROUP B
    Ombak
    persiantiger
    comme
    condor11

GROUP C
    Bad Religion
    Dark Savante
    Harry Otis G
    Deuteriumoxide

GROUP D
    Soccerfan8270
    StrikerCW
    bluedaddy19
    Elninho

ok JP round your judges up, best if its an odd # - we'll take a pause for a couple days to to let everybody put their business in order, gameplans and what not - i guess we need somebody to run hog's team for this part

11. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!

Has anyone else in the draft agreed to this system? Or have more than half done so?

12. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, count JP and me in (same team) and there have been at least 3 others who assent... we will go ahead with these plans and if everybody else says hell no, then back to the drawing board... also, these groups seem oddly ballanced!

13. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    comme, is the draft over now? I have a thread I want to make, but it's dependant on whether the draft is done or not..

14. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't have to be an odd number of judges, at least for the group stage... at this point draws are permissible, so we could call a match a draw if the judges are evenly split.

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

ya know what? this was all figured out 100 some odd pages ago, but if you'd like i'll just kick back and you can go to the bother

16. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

well yeah, but shouldn't we have the same judges for the whole thing?

17. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    does anyone besides bluedaddy and myself have a thread with their team in it?

USE MY GUESTBOOK IF YOU WANT PEOPLE. Everybody needs to be able to access their opponents teams so they know how to make up a gameplan. Even if it's just a simple list. I started a thread here: All World Draft Easy Access Roster Page

Thanks guys.

18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You should have spoken up before and reposted the stuff then... oh well... im game for whatever happens...

19. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

ummm the judges wasn't my idea

20. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

i'm not sure what you are accusing me of... so lets just assume im guilty and move on

21. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Agreed to what? I'm sure it'll be fun but it's not like we won't do more later when someone decides they feel like doing something new. This isn't a big formal thing.

22. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I was not accusing you, I am just happy that there are no groups with all crappy teams (really only 3 or 4) and no groups with 4 great teams... not accusing u of anything...

and about before.. I was not getting at u or anything... just u seem not happy about the system so if something was settled then....

23. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

i was kidding johnno, roll a joint or something

24. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I have three out of sixteen teams in the roster list. If we are to have any kind of theoretical competition all the managers need to be able to figure out who they are playing...

Just follow the link... copy, and paste...

I suppose for those of you who are only keeping up with your team on little strips of paper this might be more difficult... but please bear with me. :D

25. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    i was just looking at the draft thread that lists the final teams, formations, and substitutes, and i see soccerfan's first draft pick is on the bench!! whoa!! :eek: even in a fantasy draft he gets the shaft! :D