Big Soccer World Draft

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Mar 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    OK here it is, the official thread for the current world draft. I think everything has been fairly clearly explained in the other thread but this is just for picks and discussion of those selections.

Try and folow the form I set and include in your pick the name, nationality and club of the person you are selecting so as to avoid any confusion over the Juninhos, Edus and Coles etc.

The order for the first round is
    1.comme
    2.Elninho
    3.Deuteriumoxide
    4.StrikerCW
    5.bludaddy19
    6.condor11
    7. socerFan8270
    8. Dark Savante
    9. BadReligion
    10. Harry Otis Guff
    11. GunnersBT
    12. Jon Pall
    13. Ombak
    14. persiantiger
    15. RuffRyder
    16. Impaled

Ok then first pick

Allesandro Nesta

Nation:Italy

Club: Milan

Next up

Elninho

2. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    I think a profile of some sort is in order. Alot can be learned in thread like this when so many players are going to be picked.

3. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    You're probably right. I'll post one up for Nesta in a bit.

4. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Allesandro Nesta

Nation: Italy

Clubs: Lazio, Milan

Major honours: Champions League winner 2003, Italian titles 2000, European Championship finalist, Named in UEFA's team of the year 2002 and 2003, Named in the Onze Mundial team of the year 2001,02,03

International caps: 58

Nesta has been a rock at the heart of first the Lazio and now Milan defence for 10 years. He skippered lazio to their first title in 26 years in 2000 and won the CL in his first season at Milan. He was unlucky to lose the final of the European Championships with Italy in 2000. He is the complete defender and his arrival at Milan has been one of the key reasons behind their vast improvement over the last two years.

5. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    does everyone know we started? might want to send a PM out to the drafters

6. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good idea bluedaddy, I just happened to luck upon the new thread.

7. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As the first one to try trash-talking in this draft may I say that's an awful first pick?

8. persiantiger

persiantiger Guest

What was he thinking

As the 2nd person to try trash-talking on this draft may I say that I agree!?

However I would also add a simple "very" before awful. I mean come on nesta isn't even the best player for the team he plays for!

BTW can we pick players who don't play anymore too? Like pele maradona ect ect...

9. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Re: What was he thinking

Wrong draft!

This one is active players only! Make a team for today!

10. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Haha I didn't expect so much criticism. Anyway the first choice is always tough, but I feel I have the one player who is by far the best in his position.

Sorry for not PMing everyone, i'll try to do it, but if a Premium member could then that would be great as I'm having a bit of log-in difficulties.

11. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nesta is the first player I would have taken as well. Nesta is by far the best defender in the world. Whereas, every other position you can have some very spirited debates as to who is the best.

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    ok you're all wrong

1-calling nesta an awful pick is about stupid, it's a perfectly understandable choice

2-saying nesta is "by far" the best center back is as stupid

i won't explain at length for obvious reasons

13. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fired off a PM to everybody that hasn't found this thread yet with the exception of harry otis guff because the PM system didnt recognize the name.. hopefully we can get this ball rolling.

14. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    if its gonna be like this how about someone starts a Big Soccer World Draft Smack Thread? :D

15. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    damm comme

you picked the player that was going to be my 4th pick :mad: :D

16. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Where is Eliniho? he is holding up proceedings...how long will we wait for him?

17. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Damn, this is bad. I'm ninth and have no idea when the rest of these goons are actually going to show up. I've got pretty good idea of how I want my team built..

18. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Given that this is the first round we could change the order around, particularly to suit time zones. There is no point going from Europe to LA and back as it will take 3 days to make 3 picks. However, once we have the order set lets try and stick to it.

19. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry... BigSoccer was down for most of the afternoon and evening, or at least I couldn't access it from anywhere on campus.

My first pick is:
    Patrick Vieira

Nation: France
    Caps/Goals: 65/4

Club: Arsenal

Team Honors: FIFA World Cup 1998; European Championship 2000; English Premier League 1998 & 2002; FA Cup 1998, 2002, & 2003; FA Charity Shield 1998.

Personal Honors: UEFA Team of the Year 2001; L'Equipe World Team of the Year 2001; Onze Mondial "Onze de Onze" 2001, 2002, & 2003; Carling Premiership Player of the Year 2001; PFA Team of the Year 1999, 2001, 2002 & 2003.

Probably the best defensive midfielder in the world at this time, very strong in the tackle and capable of precision passing. Has captained Arsenal since 2002, and is considered the heart of the Arsenal side that is currently unbeaten in the league after 29 matches.

20. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Ok next up is Deuteriumoxide.

21. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time for the big obvious:

Ronaldo de Assis Moreira
    [​IMG]
    AKA Ronaldinho.

Club: FC Barcelona
    Position: Midfield

Ronaldinho is set to be the best #10 in the world for the next seven or eight years or so.

And he's mine. All Mine.

I had other picks lined up because I thought surely he would go in the first two picks.

:D

22. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    None of the three most obvious choices have gone yet, which is a little surprising. Something I just thought is that after we post our selctions, maybe we could PM the next person to tell them they are up next. It might keep the process ticking along.

23. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Heck the way the draft was going I thought he might fall to me!

Nesta and Vieira are world-class players, but really, you don't build teams around them

Ronaldinho on the other hand is super-human. I will refrain from mention other beings with super-powers only because they haven't been picked yet.

24. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Don't worry Ombak, we'll be the ones laughing when you are left with Martin Keown as your defensive rock in both this and the all-time draft. ;)

Anyway Ronaldinho is not even Brazil's best No. 10.

25. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Who's next??