Big Soccer Users Who Are Yanks Abroad!

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by GiallorossiYank, May 7, 2017.

1. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had this idea for awhile now, we should have a thread for those living abroad, traveling abroad, looking to go abroad, or interested in learning about new countries and culture, whatever!

Use this thread to tell about your current experience living abroad, or past experiences, I think this will be a great place for advice, story telling etc. I'm sure some posters will even have some past trips seeing some of our Yanks play abroad.

First things first... We need a nice name for this thread.

I have really enjoyed learning a lot about some of your living arrangements and I look forward to hearing more.

2. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for me...

A lot has changed in 2017. My girlfriend of 2+ years got scared of serious commitment, reverted back to her friends, made no time for us and ended things, which really sucked. But I've been taking all of that negative energy/heartbreak and putting it into my mens travel soccer team (we're going to Costa Rica later this month), the gym, studying italian and my job. I'm proud of myself, because the first few months sucked. But I'm in a good place, as they say "time heals all wounds" (for the most part) and now...

I'm leaving my job in August and moving to Roma to peruse a graduate degree and work!!!!!! I am renting an apartment right outside the Vatican. I think if I don't go now I'll sadly never make it over there to live and work. I studied abroad a couple of years ago in Roma but I was in a dorm and surrounded by my college friends, I think being fully immersed for an extended period of time will do me wonders and I can't wait. It's a big leap, and I leave a lot behind, but I think this is the exact thing for me. I'm so excited, this is a really big decision and one that I made a conscious decision to prioritize myself and my own happiness.

Looking forward to it.

gunnerfan7, Deeneaus, Magikfute and 19 others repped this.
  3. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Sounds like it will be a great experience. I was married to an Italian and I've spent a ton of time in Liguria - an absolutely beautiful part of Italy.

I've traveled a lot for work and vacation and my preference is always overseas. I love immersing myself in other cultures. For work I've gotten to spend some relatively long business trips (like 4-6 weeks, and multiple visits) to Thailand, Russia, and Egypt as well as shorter trips to Brazil and all over Europe.

On vacation I love Europe and South East Asia. I've often been in Europe during the Euro's - not visiting the Euro's, but still able to enjoy fan fests or just going to bars and watching games with fans from all over Europe. Last year I was in Paris for a few days and had a blast watching Wales/ N. Ireland at The Bombardier Pub in the Latin Quarter. ESPN was there and tons of Welsh in great spirit. After I was in Vienna and Budapest and had great times at their fan fests.

This summer I'll visit S. Korea and Japan. I'll be in Seoul during the late stages of the U-20's, so if the US makes it far enough I may have to make a short trip to see them in action.

Gacm32, Suyuntuy, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm a traveling bum. Can anyone get me a reality series?

5. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    You'll need a hook. I'm thinking 20 Questions About Your City with LouisianaViking07/09. :)

Gacm32, WrmBrnr and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I fit a few demographics which might make it interesting though if I were gay, it might help more.

I lived abroad. 16 months in Sweden (almost a decade ago). And spent numerous summers traveling across Europe. So much time that it was a regular occurrence. England, Italy, Poland, Netherlands, Sweden are all places I visited multiple times and really loved. I'm planning to visit Italy in November (along with Scotland) and then no more Europe.

Would like to visit Asia and go backpacking across West Africa but sadly I am becoming an old man with very little funds. But alas the memories of youth.

WrmBrnr, Suyuntuy, matabala and 4 others repped this.
  7. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @ebbro Let me know how Japan is, I'm planning to go in 2018!

8. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I'm not young anymore either. I manage to travel on the cheap with airline miles, credit card points, airbnb, staying with friends, etc...

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Will do. I'll be about a week in Tokyo and week in Osaka/ Kyoto with some day trips planned from each. Can't wait.

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I always opted for the super-low. Like so low it's almost risky. But so far it's worked out. I actually would love to publish a book for Americans on low budget globe hopping. I figure there's a market for it. And even if it's a flop, it helps knowing folks discover more to the world than what we see on tv.

I've always been pro-hostels. Like I'm sure i've stayed in maybe 40 of them. Only stayed in air B n B just once and that was in Cagliari for a day back in January. Awesome experience as it was on a sailboat.

11. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, awesome thread. I love travelers.

My now wife and I have spent a lot of time in Bulgaria and travelled a few places around Europe with Sofia as our base. Belgrade, Bucharest, around Greece, then have spent a little time in Germany and France. I personally love Eastern Europe as I often go weeks without seeing or hearing another American. I enjoy the isolation. When in a place like Paris or Munich, I hear way too much English. We now own a home in a northern Bulgarian village and I've been told by locals no other American has ever stepped foot there. That's kinda cool to experience.

Currently studying IT to make a career change which will allow me to live and work anywhere without being dependent on either the local language or local currency. Goal is to move to Sofia in a few years and work for an American or British company, earning and living in dollars/euros. I'd actually be able to save a helluva lot more than paying the ridiculous housing prices in the Bay Area.

My only real concern is leaving my parents behind here as they approach their 70's and don't have family nearby to help. My bro is in NY so that doesn't really help them at all. Would also be tough to take their hopeful grandchildren(we're working on it) halfway around the world where they won't be able to them often.

That's the conundrum. Life is too short not to get out there and experience other cultures/sites/foods/languages. But it also sucks to leave family behind and spend far less time with them when you don't know how much longer they'll be around.

12. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've traveled and lived overseas in many places, sometimes due to work and sometimes for vacation. I've been to many places, but I've spent most of my time overseas in France, Italy, Germany and the United Arab Emirates.

Gacm32 repped this.
  13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do those places stack up to Wanker county?

ebbro repped this.
  14. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes, Wanker county. There's no place like home.

Most of those places are waayyyy better than Wanker county (especially if populated by hot women in bikinis laying around on beaches), but some of those places are actually closer to being the hairy, sweaty armpits of the world.

15. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to Japan in December 2014. I went to Yokohama, Osaka/Kyoto and Hiroshima. The weather was pretty nice for December. I went to the Mikasa battleship memorial in Yokusuka, the Fushimi Inari-taisha shrine in Kyoto, the Atomic Bomb memorial in Hiroshima, the Yamato museum in Kure and the island of Miyajima off Hiroshima.

Japan sort of reminds me of the US, but instead of a McDonald's on every street corner, there's a Starbucks. I wanted to go again last year in May, but decided to go to Brazil in June instead. I like Brazil better.

16. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious, how do you guys who've lived overseas for awhile or have in the past, handle the family element?

What experiences have you had when picking up and moving an ocean away? I've known a wide spectrum of reactions from family members, from "I wish I did that when I was younger, go on and have a blast" to "how can you leave your family behind, do you not love us anymore? We did everything we could for you and you're moving to another continent?".

17. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    If family guilt trips you about moving away it's a pretty good indication you should move away. I've lived in my hometown for two years out of the last 24 (I'm 42) and they were the most miserable years of my life. My family was probably glad to see me go.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my case, the first time was when I was a 19 years old and I went on a proselyting mission for my church. My mother missed me the most, but it was understood that it was something that all young men in my church that were my age did and it was only for two years. It was/is seen as a rite of passage for members of my church, something that you do before finishing college or getting married.

The second time was for my work many years later. Before that, I had been back to Europe many times to visit so having me tell my family that I was going to France for work wasn't that much of a shock. I was also married to a French citizen at that time, so it was accepted like I was moving out of the state and they knew that I would eventually return. I finally came back after a number of years living in different countries because I wanted to be closer to my family. Since that time, I have gone back overseas for work, but nothing longer than 4 months at a time.

My family knows me as that uncle who likes to travel to foreign countries and chase exotic foreign women in his free time.

Winoman repped this.
  19. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spent several weeks in Tokyo once, years ago, negotiating an agreement between the US Dept of Defense and the Japanese Ministry of Defense (not an exciting treaty, just an agreement over information sharing between various sub-departments). Didn't get to travel outside the city much, but saw a lot of art and history on the weekends in Tokyo.
    It is the most alien place I've ever been (I haven't traveled much in the rest of Asia, though) - the city is a maze, having been re-built after the war with very little planning and a great amount of energy. It's really cool. Smart phones didn't exist when I was there, so I'm sure it's much better now, but back then you were lost if you lost your guide - very few people speak English and there's no way to make sense of the signs- even the number characters are different. Even the cab drivers would get lost occasionally. My wife would hate it, but I loved it. Just step into a world of "different" and let it transform you.

I keep a fairly short bucket list for life- going back to Japan to climb Mt. Fuji is on that list.

Winoman and ebbro repped this.
  20. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be in Amsterdam for 5 days at the end of June/early July and then Brussels and Gent for 2 days each. We'll probably do some day trips from Amsterdam to the surrounding areas as well. I've traveled quite a bit but this is my first time in the Netherlands and Belgium. Anyone have recommendations for nightlife/restaurants and other cool things to do there?

@feyenoordsoccerfan @VitesseCFC @Belgian guy

21. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Never lived abroad but I have seen some cool soccer things overseas:

1. YA Ryan Guy setting up this goal to help St. Patrick's beat a Russian team in the Europa League:

2. Van Persie scoring this goal more or less in front of me:

3. North Korean U15 team playing in Singapore:

22. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi all, I lived in Salamanca Spain for 3 months during the summer of 2010 to learn Spanish language and culture. It was an amazing time. Met so many people from different countries: UK, Germany, Holland, France, Australia, Italy, etc. I stayed in a dorm on the university campus. Living accommodations were nice, except no air conditioner. The food there was amazing. Everything cooked in olive oil and lost of delicious seafood and pork. Went our drinking almost every night. Sangria was the best. Many bars there had the World Cup on big projection screens. Watched most of the games. It was pretty cool to be in Spain when Spain won the World Cup.

During my stay there I took advantage of Spain's geographic location and flew to Egypt for a week. Was amazing to see the pyramids, museums, and rode a camel. Everything in Egypt was incredibly cheap. I paid $10 a night for hotel and $1 per meal. The only thing was that it was hot AF. 125 degrees to be precise.

I love traveling and plan on taking my mom to Vatican City when I have the chance to take time off of work.

23. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds a bit more fun than "Prince with a Thousand Enemies".

24. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool thread.

Being in the Navy I've been to many foreign countries but the freedom was very restricted. Through the Navy Ive been to the Azores, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece, Cyprus, Israel, UAE and Bahrain. I picked up some scarves from local teams but Ive never been able to catch a game. I was in Lisbon when Benfica played Warsaw in the group stage of this years CL. I was on duty and couldn't go but by me telling people about it most of my ship went to the game whether they were fans or not. Occasionally i see some of them wearing Benfica jerseys they got at the game.

Ive been to England before i payed attention to soccer. ManU with Beckham was in town to play Chelsea and me being a Chelsea fan now am kicking myself for not going. I was in a "study abroad" class and went to Costa Rica. My class played a pick up soccer game with local kids and got our asses handed to us.

In Dec I'm getting stationed in Japan for 3 years. It will be a great opportunity to see some J and K league games. I would love to watch a CSL game or too but we will see. I'm lucky, my wife is from Colombia so she loves soccer too and won't complain about being dragged to games.

25. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    good thread.