Big Soccer Runners Thread (R)

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by hangthadj, Nov 9, 2007.

1. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the input!

While my wife was training, I did run a little, 3 miles twice a week and 5 miles on Saturdays. I did take about two weeks off before I started the training this week, which in retrospect seems to have been a mistake.

I looked at the beginner schedule on the Nike site and it eases in a little more with not quite as much speed work until later on. I'm running at around a 10 minute mile, as I have been for as long as I can remember, so that hasn't changed. I did feel a little sore previously but nothing like what I felt this morning. The tightness has eased a bit as the day has worn on.

If you guys don't mind, I'm going to lean on you for help though out my training. I'm a little intimidated by the distances you guys are running but I hope you don't mind helping out a new distance runner!

2. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Bumping the thread again. I took the better part of the year off. My last race was the Tecumseh Trail Marathon. I wasn't really racing as I'd been paying attention to my then three month old more than running. 25 lbs later, it was time again. I'm breaking every cardinal rule about training, and registered for the same race again. I started back 3 weeks ago and have 5 left until race day. Going from 4 to 50 miles per week overnight has required drinking overtime to replenish my fat stores.

3. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Bumping the thread again another year later. The last couple years haven't been that good for running. Incidentally, I have a two year old. Anyhow, the next few look pretty good, so I'm registering for a race. The last was the marathon attempt above. As it happened, I did get in reasonable enough shape for it. Then I got a bad respiratory infection and decided to run it anyway. It went about as one would expect it would for an asthmatic in cold weather with a lung infection trying to run a trail marathon - not well.

I figured I'd go big or go home, so I'm going to take my first swing at 50 miles at Dances With Dirt, Gnaw Bone. I'm pretty familiar with the trails, and I did a shorter distance at the same race once, so I at least know that much about what I'm getting into. I'm going to try to drop significant weight over the next 6 weeks so that I can eat once I'm in shape enough to really log miles. The race is May 10th, so I have a little time. It's not really much though considering my current shape. We'll see how it goes...

4. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thread bump if anyone is watching.

I'm aiming to run a couple of ultras this year (UROC 50K & Yeti 100). I try to keep up with the ultra community through podcasts, checking race results, Youtube, etc.

A local DC guy named Michael Wardian is a pretty accomplished ultrarunner and I was tracking his results at the HURT 100 mile race in Hawaii last weekend, and imagine my surprise to find the winner of that race -- and apparently several other ultras -- was none other than former MLSer Nate Jacqua:

[​IMG]

Here's a link to his UltraSignup profile showing the races he's run:
    https://ultrasignup.com/results_participant.aspx?fname=Nate&lname=Jaqua