Big Soccer Runners Thread (R)

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by hangthadj, Nov 9, 2007.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The sad part is I checked the age just to make sure I shouldn't call a social worker because some parents named their kid after that douchebag.:rolleyes: He's actually older than the other one.

2. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Given the CLE-WAS rivalry that has built up, I can see why you can't stand him. My first thought was someone wrote his name on the registration form as a joke, but you never know. I was surprised to check my watch at the end to see I finished in sub-7 pace because I had nothing on the last hill. Not only that, there was a straighaway near some strip malls where my right leg felt twice as heavy as my left and slightly numb. I pulled through to get 27:39. i wold have been happy with anything under 30 minutes. I did lose a second or two when I froze up because I thought I was going to run into somebody even if they were nowhere near me. :D I did take my glasses off during the third mile because it was actually easier to see without them.

3. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Wow, just found this forum and thread and wanted to pass along kudos to fellow runners.

As if I wasn't a fan of google already they have a website which measures how far you run based on you mapping out your running route.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

Of course some of you have the Nike+, so you already know.

4. HstephenG

HstephenG New Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  5. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    The good today: I ran 5 miles, 3 at 9:05 pace, 3 at 8:30. Broke in a new pair of New Balance 769s. The bad today: It was on a treadmill, which I freaking hate with a fury.

This weather and the three weeks of limited running routes to come is putting a damper on my marathon training. With no warm days on the horizon I think it will be at least March 1 before this snow is gone. I have abandoned the March 20 marathon schedule then pick up the May 30 one midstream and have moved to just the May 30 one. With my move, PmP Certification class, and again my move coming up I'm only doing 2 half marathons this spring, both local (Charles County and Arlington). Running will be for clearing my head just as much as anything over the next 3 months.

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm disappointed you aren't going all hardcore and running in the unplowed snow. I tried that on Sunday morning... up a hill. I did a run that was just over three miles. It was hell. I'm feeling that single run more than all of the shoveling. My neighborhood still hasn't been plowed once. Fortunately, some larger vehicles in the neighborhood were able to drive around some so I was able to get in and out of the neighborhood by Monday. Unfortunately, I was coming back into the area on Saturday and couldn't drive into my neighborhood since the snow was so high so that was reason for another run on Monday.

7. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Man, you had an adventure. I went on a 7.5 mile run through untracked snow during the first storm on Jan 30 that was a blast. Even packed down snow, once the snow stops falling, I try not to run on. Too many little bumps that can wreck the ankles. Cross training time. Sunday is looking like X-C skiing at Catoctin in lieu of my long run. Luckily my marathon isn't until May 30.

8. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    MapMyRun.com is phenomonal. Planned out my Sunday run. Should I get the sense that the main roads in DC will be clear, here it is: http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/us/ny/new york/427126663698034161

Otherwise, it's the same Rock Creek Park / Beach Drive run my running group went on last week and is tomorrow. If I was still on the National Marathon Program, my mileage would be 18-22. But I changed to the May 30 program a bit earlier due to mileage cutdowns caused by lack of safe routes. 8-12 miles, but I'm going at least the 13.25 miles the mapped route would give me. Extra miles to compensate, I suppose. Until this class is done, likely March 27, the long runs are gonna be tough to handle.

9. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    16 1/2 at Rock Creek Park, all the way to Kensington Drive and back. Quads hurting a bit today, as was my shoulder until the chiropractor fixed it.

Thinking about phasing my way to a vegetarian or at least quasi-vegetarian diet. It should help my running a bit once I get used to it. It would be a phased thing that would really take hold as I ramp up training for Twin Cities on October 3.

http://maryjanejeff.blogspot.com/2010/02/considering-switch-to-vegetarian-or.html

Correction to the run I posted earlier, this is it. http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-states/dc/washington/775126663728651227 That will be combined with stair running in Georgetown to be the new Northwest Yuppie Torture Rack.

10. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    How are the race schedules looking this year? I'm looking at an active May with possibly as many as three or four HMs, and then I'll work towards peaking again in October. I've transitioned almost entirely into a trail runner. I think I'm addicted to the trails more than I am to running.

11. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
  12. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    First half marathon of the year tomorrow in St. Charles, MD. Looking forward to crossing the finish line at home plate of the Independent So MD Blue Crabs stadium. Not looking forward to driving down there and back again. Oh well. It's a new half marathon on what looks to be a flat if not completely closed course. I want to try to finish between 1:35-1:38 to validate Richmond last year not just being a case where every single thing went right and made the PR an outlier.

I'm having fun again running the Crystal City 5K Friday series; two more to go. I went into these thinking I would use them as speed workouts, finish around 21:30-22:00. Guess I've become a faster runner than I thought. First race, 19:55, I thought I might break 20 in one of these five 5Ks, just not the first one. Second race, 20:09, the effort I am most proud of given the cool, blustery conditions. Last night, 20:14, I went out way too fast at the start and struggled to hold my pace at the end.

But wait, at today's group run, a running friend who I trust mentioned that even if the course is USTFA Certified, it's actually 3.2 miles, not 3.125! :D That third mile did seem awfully long. I figured out my estimates from that, and I've actually broken 20:00 in all 3 5Ks! My revised times are 19:26, 19:41, and 19:42! Give or take a couple seconds on the last two. I am legitimately amazed at how much progress I have made as a runner over the last two years. I should go to the gym just to hit the scale and see if I'm dropped below 160 yet.

13. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Good luck tomorrow!

14. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Thanks. I'm more worried about the drive than the race. All it takes is one wreck on the Wilson Bridge or on the MD highway to get there and I'm fubared. I've been more motivated for previous races than for tomorrow but I'll get jacked up just before it starts.

Vermont in 6 weeks!

15. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I ended up 7th in the race, 1:34:49, my second best ever half. 4 miles into a nasty crosswinds was the worst. But I'm getting ready for Vermont. Wore the 760s I am running in up there for the first time tonight. One fun run, one long run, 2-3 mile stay loose jog the day before the marathon, marathon. That's the pattern for marathon shoes.

Hang, I saw on Facebook you were looking for Minny suggestions. Are you running Twin Cities in October too?

Does anyone else incorporate Yasso 800s into their training? I've been adding them occasionally. There's a track meet at the high school where we meet on Wednesday so no track for me. Hills instead, or no workout at all.

16. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Nice finish! Is that course pretty hilly too? Vermont just sounds hilly to my midwestern ears. I haven't raced any distance since December, but I have a trail hm on the 15th and a road hm on the 22nd. I've done so little road work that I really have no idea where my pace is right now. Perhaps some of those 800s one day would be a good way to figure it out.

17. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    YH, the half I just ran had a couple steep, short hills, but early, i.e. before mile 4 and after mile 2. Best time for them in a half IMHO. Middle of the course can wreck me, the end can be nasty too. 2-4 gets them out of the way but gives me enough warmup time.

Vermont is hills galore from what I gather. Goal is just like MCM, finish, finish strong, and no walking other than at hydration stops. If I come in under 4:00, great. Richmond in November is 3:45 or better.

18. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Hills are a funny thing. They slow me down, but I think they make a race more fun. Flat courses make for fast times, but I end up running them like a time trial.

19. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Taper has begun, although I ran my 5.1 mile group run very hard on Thursday. I'll do that next week too just to keep one run at high intensity. Two hills on the Crystal City Triangle course this morning, I picked the course this week and chose that one for the hills. I need every hill experience I can get.

20. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Vermont Marathon was a huge success. A friend from my Pacers running group was also running the marathon. My pace is faster than hers, but I ran with her until I made a restroom break between miles 6 and 7, when I planned to pick up the pace anyway. I was glad she reined me in at mile 4 when she said we ran an 8:40 mile because I wasn't sure I could hold that all race. I felt strong throughout the race and picked it up as the race went on, save for the brutal hill at mile 15. I got under 9:00 / mile pace for good at around the halfway mark.

Once I got over the hill, I kicked it into overdrive a bit. The last hill was at mile 18. I started to notice that a sub 4 was happening barring injury, with an outside shot at 3:50. Maybe all the training I did really work, because once I recovered from my license / health insurance cards falling out of my pockets when I reached for my sport beans during mile 22, I was pasing my share of people. We were on a bike path for miles 23, 24, and 25; I took advantage of the dirt "side path." With 3 miles to go or so, I figured out I was pulling out a sub-3:50.

The crowd support was absolutely amazing. They gave me a huge lift at the end, which made me run even faster. Holding a solid stride all the way to the end, I finished in 3:46:24, easily a PR and faster than I expected. 1:48:59 for the second half split! I'm very happy with that and I can't wait to go back next year.

21. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Well done! Sounds like you really got the miles in. I find it challenging to properly rest after a race like that and channel it into training.

I did a couple halves earlier this month--one on trails and one on roads. Both were good races, but not my fastest. They were the fastest spring races I've had, so I'm happy about that.

22. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I took part in National Running Day yesterday, 5 miles at a slow pace. Felt okay. Tonight, 6.25 with my group, after the first "warm up" mile I was okay. By mile 4 I was regretting running, quads are still messy. Yoga on Saturday instead of running I think. I don't want to push things too much. I don't think I'm running until Wednesday. I went crazy buying Nationals tickets to ensure I would see Strasburg's debut so lots of off days in my future.

I have the same challenges with post long race periods. I want to get back really badly but need the R and R.

23. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    After two weeks of slog a longs, including a 13.75 miler on Saturday, back to the track again tonight. Mile repeats, first session where I tracked my time. Symmetry was in the air, first repeat splits of 1:40, 1:40, 1:40, 1:36. Second was 1:41, 1:42:40, 1:36. Third, 1:45, 1:44, 1:45, 1:39. Fourth, 1:43, 1:47, 1:45, 1:34. Very consistent with the last 1/4 being the one where I dropped the time by a few seconds. Recovery up ahead, Woohoo!

Tomorrow needs to be a hard run because the next 10 days look UGLY. Baltimore 10 miler on Saturday. Bling is worth as much as the registration fee, no dropping out here. Going to try for 1:15 or better, 1:11:24 is my PR but heat and some hills will make a PR nearly unattainable.

After saying that I am not doing many short races, whoops. 4 night races in July if I get home from my business trip in time to go to the Run for the Gulf Coast

3 5Ks and 1 5 miler between July 2 and 24. 4 speed workouts and a PR attempt at the 5 miler, current one is 36:33. I think I'm missing a race in there somewhere.

24. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    1:12:31, 84th out of 1402 male finishers. There were 1795 female finishers. Help me out here, fellow runners. How come there always seem to be more women runners in Baltimore races, but a lot more men runners in DC? If you belong to any running clubs, formal or informal, why does there always seem to be a lot more men then women? I'm not necessarily looking to pick women up when I run, but I can't figure out why there isn't more of a balance. Do women not like to run in groups? Am I missing something?

25. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I didn't realize how nasty hot it actually was until I stopped running tonight - just a quick 4 mile jaunt through Old Town to clear my head. Damn was it hot out. But I am now at (best estimate) 700 miles for the calendar year. Hoping for 1500 total with two fall marathons coming up.