Big Soccer Classics (NON UNITED MATCHES)

Discussion in 'Manchester United: History' started by johno, Jul 25, 2011.

1. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So I thought it might be good if we had a thread in here not dedicated specifically to United, but containing historical footage.

There are a lot of clips out there that many of us have not seen and I think this could be fun and educational.

I can start us off with the 1994 CL final between Barcelona and Milan. This was a clash of 2 really good teams. Milan had Maldini, Desailly, Savicevic, Boban... Barca had Guardiola, Romario, Stoichkov, Koeman.

All in all, great teams, great players, good game and even better, 10 minutes of highlights. Enjoy:

PS, there's no minimum age a match has to be, not strictly, but it would be nice if people posted older clips.

2. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    United win 4-1 at Anfield (1969-70).

3. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My initial intent was just to post up full match highlights and I still don't want this to be a goals only thread, but I thought a couple of these were too good to pass up. Here's Zico vs England in 1981.

and from the same match, Socrates!

4. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Thanks Johno, since the AT draft, I had been looking into the Brazil 82 team a lot more, and watching matches, hi-lights etc. Thanks.

5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No problem bruh.

6. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

[​IMG]

Came across this whilst doing some research for the sheep draft and thought it deserved it's place in this thread. Great match.

benni... and Invincible repped this.
  7. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Paul Gascoigne moved to Lazio in the summer of 1992, the same season that Sky first won the rights to the Premier League. Satellite and cable television was very much in it's infancy in the UK at the time which meant that a much smaller proportion of people had access to live football than they do now. With the interest in Gazza, Des Walker's move to Sampdoria in the same summer and David Platt already plying his trade in Italy, Channel 4, a free-to-air station in the UK bought the rights to Serie A matches. The vast majority of people only had the 4 channels at the time and Channel 4 along with BBC 2 were the smallest of the 4 stations.

On Saturday mornings they'd show "Gazetta Football Italia", a weekly roundup of previous weekend's games, and a preview of matches due to take place over the current weekend. On Sundays we'd get treated to a live game. In the early-mid 90s, upto 3 million people would tune in to watch, which still stands as record viewing figures for non-British domestic football over here.

The video is a good chunk of one of the "Gazzeta Footbal Italia" episodes, and is a nice little nostalgia trip. Hopefully it works for some of those who have never heard of it too, as obviously a lot of the players will be familiar names.

benni... repped this.