BIG EAST 2016

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by BEAST442, Jan 28, 2016.

1. sokarcrazy

sokarcrazy Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Chris...what's the difference major difference between your simulation and the BR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. BEAST442

BEAST442 Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the first RPI has been released and here is the Big East teams:

3 Georgetown Big East 8-1-0 4-0-0 0-0-0 4-1-0 0-0-0
    44 Marquette Big East 4-4-2 1-4-1 0-0-0 3-0-1 0-0-0
    73 Providence Big East 6-3-1 1-1-1 1-0-0 4-2-0 0-0-0
    78 Creighton Big East 5-1-2 3-0-0 0-0-0 2-1-2 0-0-0
    96 Butler Big East 7-2-1 2-0-1 1-0-0 4-2-0 0-0-0
    116 DePaul Big East 2-4-2 2-3-0 0-0-1 0-1-1 0-0-0
    123 St. John's (NY) Big East 5-1-3 1-1-2 0-0-1 4-0-0 0-0-0
    130 Seton Hall Big East 4-3-1 3-1-0 0-0-0 1-2-1 0-0-0
    133 Xavier Big East 6-3-1 5-2-1 0-0-0 1-1-0 0-0-0
    184 Villanova Big East 2-7-0 1-3-0 0-2-0 1-2-0 0-0-0

I am the first to admit that I don't understand the mathematics behind RPI but can someone explain to me why Marquette (4-4-2) and DePaul (2-4-2) is better than SJ (5-1-3)? Is it simply it is better to lose to good teams than beat bad ones?

3. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #53 Gilmoy, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Unadjusted RPI = { (own W/L) + 2(opponent's W/L, excluding you) + (opponents' opponents' W/L) } /4.
    Adjusted RPI adds bonus/penalty points, for top-XX wins or bottom-YY losses.
    You can find this data in excruciating detail at AWK's 2016 College Women's Soccer Schedule.

(0.500 + 2(0.679) +0.540)/4 = 0.59950 +0.0029 = 0.6026 #44 Marquette
    (0.688 + 2(0.576) +0.557)/4 = 0.59925 +0.0022 = 0.6013 #45 Washington State ... oh those micropoints
    (0.375 +2(0.634) +0.472)/4 = 0.5287 +0.0000 = 0.5287 #118 DePaul
    (0.722 +2(0.416) +0.538)/4 = 0.5233 +0.0004 = 0.5237 #124 St. John's (NY)

This early in the season, a team's W/L (1st term) is mostly getting dominated by opponent's W/L (because of the *2 coefficient for the 2nd term). Marquette's own W/L is only -0.222 behind St. John's, but their SOS is way higher, at +2(0.283) = +0.566, which completely trumps it. Then Marquette earned more bonus points (else my Cougs woulda jumped them :laugh:). Similarly, DePaul's relatively ghastly -0.347 in own W/L vs. St. John's is trumped by their +2(0.218) = +0.436 for stronger opponents.

RPI SOS (2nd and 3rd terms) ensures that it is better to schedule good teams, even if you lose to them.
    RPI bonus points ensure that it is better to visit good teams and beat them at their place :thumbsup:

BEAST442 repped this.
  4. BEAST442

BEAST442 Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for that Gilmoy! I have to believe this has been covered before but if i read this correctly, 75% of your RPI is determined by your opponents performance, not yours. Seems sort of wrong to me. Call me old fashioned but I still believe beating a weak team 1-0 is still better than losing to a strong team 5-0. But in the RPI, that clearly isnt the case

5. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #55 Gilmoy, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    Early in the season, yes, Elements 2 and 3 are overweighted. But they converge by the end of the season, to roughly these weights (see cpthomas's RPI: Formula page):

0.50 Element 1: your W/L
    0.40 Element 2: opponents' W/L (excluding you)
    0.10 Element 3: grand-opponents' W/L

It's because most teams play most of their matches in-conference, and each conference is zero-sum. The net result is that Element 2's range of variation is narrower than Element 1, and Element 3 is even narrower. So their ability to swing the weighted average decays over time. By the end, each team's own performance is, indeed, the greatest factor in its own RPI.

Conversely, during non-conference pre-season, all teams independently hunt for opponents, so they can have disjoint sets of opponents (and even opponents' opponents). So Elements 2 and 3 are still all over the place in Week 3.

ARPI isn't perfect, but it's a reasonably good input to human (selection committee) judgment. It does do pretty well at isolating the ~20 or so teams in "the bubble". Thereafter, we come here to vent :mad::p

6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suggest you take a look here: Bennett Ranking Methodology

The system I'm using is tied to the RPI, since that's what the NCAA uses and since my bracket formation system is RPI based since that's what the Women's Soccer Committee uses. This creates a number of key differences, a key one of which is that the RPI's purpose only is to assign a value to teams' results over the course of the year, whereas a main purpose of BR is to assign values based on which one can predict the outcomes of next week's games. In a sense, the RPI is not intended to tell you who the best teams are but only which teams have performed the best. BR is intended to tell you, at each stage of the season, who the best teams are at that time.

Here are some significant differences:

Bennett assigns a high value to game scores/margins of victory. The RPI, in conformity with NCAA policy, does not consider game scores/margins of victory at all. Rather, the RPI considers only whether the game was a win, loss, or tie.

The simulation system I'm using, for games not yet played, uses ratings that are fixed at the beginning of the season and do not change. BR does not simulate the results of future games, although it predicts the results of next week's games, but to the extent one could consider it as simulating the results of next week's games, the basis for its simulation changes from week to week as game results come in. Since my system substitutes actual results for simulated results as games are played, over the course of the season the effect of my using ratings fixed at the beginning of the season will wash out.

BR has home field advantage built into its system as part of its main body. The RPI itself doesn't consider RPI as part of its main body but rather only as a minor factor in its good result/poor result bonus/penalty system. My simulation system, however, does include HFA as part of its main body though in a different way than BR.

BR, being a predictive system, during roughly the last 2/3 of the season, weights recent results more heavily than earlier results. The RPI, and my system, treats each game as having the same weight regardless of when it is played.
    A main purpose of my system is to allow a coach to look at simulated results for the entire season and see, if they achieve the simulated results for their team, where they are likely to end up in the ratings/rankings and what their NCAA Tournament prospects are. If their prospects don't meet their objectives, then they can look to see where they need to achieve better results than what the simulation says. And, if they do more poorly than what the simulation says for a game, they can see that they will need to do better than the simulation says in another game. It's not perfect as a tool -- and indeed, there is no perfect tool to achieve this purpose -- but it may give a reasonable picture.

Since this is the first year doing this, we'll have to see how it worked once the season is over. One thing I'm seeing personally is that it helps one keep a focus on the entire season, counterbalancing a tendency to treat the results already achieved as defining the entire season. This works in both directions -- results already achieved can cause one to think the season has been great or awful. Looking at the updated simulation results, however, may say that if the rest of the season's results fit the simulated results the season won't be that great or that awful. In a sense, what this means is that the simulation treats actual results that are contrary to the initially simulated results as upsets. This, of course, isn't necessarily the case, they may be indications that the initially simulated ratings are wrong, which certainly is likely to be true in some cases. One of the purposes of the table I've published showing the changes in weekly simulated rankings is to allow an identification of those teams whose initially simulated ratings probably were wrong -- Arkansas, for example?

Hope this helps.

7. BEAST442

BEAST442 Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First conference games in the books:

Butler 2 - 0 Villanova
    St. John's 1 - 0 Seton Hall
    Providence 0 - 0 Georgetown
    Creighton 3 - 2 Marquette
    DePaul 5 - 0 Xavier

At first glance, I would say a very good result for Providence. I also think Creighton's win is a very good one and may mean they are a team to watch out for. I would love to hear any color on the DePaul trouncing of Xavier. Any comments or first hand reports from any of the games is welcomed.

8. BEAST442

BEAST442 Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2016 Women's Soccer Standings
    School Conf CPct. Overall Pct. Home Away Neutral Streak
    DePaul 3-0 1.000 6-4-2 0.583 3-1-1 3-3-0 0-0-1 W5
    Providence 2-0-1 0.833 8-3-2 0.692 5-2-0 3-1-2 0-0-0 W2
    Marquette 2-1 0.667 6-5-2 0.538 5-0-1 1-5-1 0-0-0 W2
    Georgetown 1-0-1 0.750 9-1-1 0.864 4-1-1 5-0-0 0-0-0 W1
    Butler 1-1-1 0.500 8-3-2 0.692 4-2-0 3-0-2 1-1-0 L1
    St. John's 1-1-1 0.500 6-2-4 0.667 4-0-1 2-2-2 0-0-1 L1
    Villanova 1-1 0.500 3-8 0.273 2-3 1-3 0-2 W1
    Creighton 1-2 0.333 6-3-2 0.636 3-1-2 3-2-0 0-0-0 L2
    Xavier 0-3 0.000 6-6-1 0.500 1-2-0 5-4-1 0-0-0 L4
    Seton Hall 0-3 0.000 4-6-1 0.409 1-4-1 3-2-0 0-0-0 L3

Updated standings after this weekend. DePaul, Providence and G-town all appear to be strong this season. Marquette, Butler and SJU all have faults which have shown in their losses although I would say Butler is the best of this bunch so far. Nova, Creighton, Xavier and Seton Hall all struggling. Will one of those be able to turn it around and jump up and steal a playoff spot from the above?

9. BEAST442

BEAST442 Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So all but 1 team has been determined for the Big East tournament. DePaul, G-town, Marquette, Prov. and SJU all in. Creighton and Butler still alive for #6 slot. Seedings still to be determined on final day with most teams able to move up or down 1-3 spots.

As for at large NCAA chances, I think G-town is a lock. Marquette is looking very good. And DePaul and Providence have potential as well. For SJU or Creighton/Butler, it is tournament win or bust.

10. BEAST442

BEAST442 Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The field is set:

#4 SJU vs #5 Providence
    #3 Georgetown vs #6 Butler

#1 Marquette will play SJU/Providence winner
    #2 DePaul will play Georgetown/Butler winner

Like last year, this should be another fun and unpredictable tournament.

I still think the goal for the league is to get 4 teams into NCAA tourney. I think Georgetown, DePaul and Marquette are close to locks so if SJU, Providence or Butler can win, 4 is still realistic. Would love to hear from cpthomas and others who are better informed on NCAA selection if this makes sense.

11. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to say it, but my simulation has only Georgetown (with a #2 seed) and Marquette in the NCAA Tournament. Go here and to the post at that blog that precedes the linked post. Of course, things can change over the next week, to some extent.o_O

12. BEAST442

BEAST442 Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised DePaul isn't safe as co-champ of BE. I was even thinking Prov. might get an at large.

How about this question? Assuming G-Town and Marq. are safe even with a loss, what are the others chances of an at large if they make a run to final and lose.

For example, if DePaul beats Georgetown/Butler winner (assume Georgetown) but then loses in final, does that get them in?

If Prov beats SJU and then Marquette but loses final, does that get them in?

If SJU beats Prov and then Marquette but loses final, does that get them in?

Is there anyway Butler gets in without winning it all?

13. sec123

sec123 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have to agree with cpthomas. Two teams in - three (maybe) if DePaul gets the automatic bid. Butler, Providence or St. Johns have to win the conference to get in, which I don't think will be happening this year. I personally am pulling for DePaul; I like the way they pass, move and attack relentlessly. A fun group to watch play!

14. BEAST442

BEAST442 Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the data correct?

After last night's games, I went to http://woso-stats.tk/college/2016/index_arpi to see how Providence and SJ ARPI may have changed and I noticed that SJ RPI and ARPI are exactly the same. That seems wrong to me. If I understand the formula correctly, they have 1 tie against top 40 team at home (+.0009) and 3 wins at home against 41-80 (.0015 x 3 = +.0045) and no penalty results. So the should have a +.0054 adjustment.

cpthomas or sec123 ... is this correct?

Also, I don't think it matters at all but on the NCAA results site, they have SJU losing to Seton Hall 1-0 when the result is the opposite. Their record is listed at 10-4-5 when it is in fact 11-3-5.

So taking all this into consideration, does that change SJU chjances of at large?

I'm just trying to figure out how we get 4 BE teams in ;) Since Providence appears out, maybe SJU can get in?

15. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bonus and penalty adjustments apply only to non-conference games. St. Johns has no bonuses from non-conference games, which is why its RPI and ARPI are the same.

I don't know what you're looking at in relation to the St. Johns v Seton Hall game, but the NCAA has the correct result in its RPI data base.

Sorry, but it looks like Providence and St. Johns both will be too far down in the ranks to get at large selections ... assuming St. Johns does not survive its next game.

16. BEAST442

BEAST442 Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aaah that explains it. I should have known better than to question your data! Thanks for clearing it up.

But since you brought it up, what about if SJ does survive it's next game?

And what about DePaul? Is beating G-town enough for them?

17. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll only make a slightly educated guess: DePaul, probably, even a tie (losing on PKs) might suffice since it counts as a tie and they'd amass a lot of credit due to Georgetown's high ranking; St. Johns, more likely they'd have to win their next game and at least tie in the finals.

18. BEAST442

BEAST442 Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2016 Season has come to an end. Congratulations to Georgetown on winning the Big East tournament & congratulations to Marquette and DePaul on co-winning the Big East regular season title.

It appears the BE will end up with 3 teams in the NCAA, although DePaul is not a lock just yet. I personally view this as a disappointment as I felt the league had deeper quality this season.

Good Luck to those representing the league in the NCAAs. Make us proud!

19. mentor5959

mentor5959 Member

Nov 2, 2016

Not sure how a team with an RPI of 60 makes the tourney...

Big east gets 2 and that's it IMHO.

20. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DePaul's final ARPI rank is 54. But it's a long shot to get into the tournament. You're probably right with just two: Georgetown and Marquette.