Bethlehem Steel FC Catch-All [R]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Dills, Aug 19, 2015.

1. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I don't think enough people attend to make it worth putting that much money into the field. I always thought it should just be in Chester or Philly

buzzkiller23 and thomas19064 repped this.
  2. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it’s not like the Union put effort into getting people out to watch games out there, they barely can barely do that down here... they never really cared if they were successful outside of development in Bethlehem. I agree it should have been down here from the start.

The lighting requirement for USL teams has been around AT LEAST since 2016... it’s not coming as a surprise to the Union, they just don’t want the team up there... which is fine, but the facade they put on just rubs me the wrong way, and if they had owners with money they definitely could have put some effort into making The Lehigh Valley work... it’s a combo of cheapness and never really being committed to the market.

Can chalk this up to Nick Sak remnants if we want, but the owner is still the same... more egg on the face of Sugardaddy.

3. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even when he does something right.............he still gets it wrong.............

Steel should play at one of the local Universities (Nova, West Chester, Arcadia, Drexel). Here's a thought, the Union should partner with Temple, Drexel, or Penn, and the School District of Philly and help build a small soccer stadium in the City. It would be good all around. It would help grow the game, be good PR for the Union, and help grow interest in the Union. Outside of Steel games, they could host High School and College soccer, football and LAX games there.

It makes way too much sense..............so it'll NEVER happen.

4. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #604 ericlfd, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2018
    If you recall they wanted to pull it from Bethlehem before the start of the season, but didn't for some reason or another. Probably too short notice etc. It never made sense to me that the team trains in Chester but travels all the way to Bethlehem for games. I think they thought they could maybe squeeze a few extra bucks out of it, but realized they are losing money.

They can't afford to build a whole stadium, who you kidding? they should just put some bleachers around the practice fields

5. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said PARTNER. Never said they'd actually pay for an entire stadium.............

ericlfd repped this.
  6. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is definitely what will happen... bleachers around a practice field and they will self relegated to D3 once there are more regional opponents and they can cut back their travel costs.

ericlfd repped this.
  7. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure this can happen unless the Union invest in the USL required lights around the practice fields.

But wasn't Steel practicing in Chester most days anyway? Not sure where the players lived, but the Bethlehem-Chester commute isn't the most efficient.

8. djramone

djramone Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the team only went up to Bethlehem for game days and any team related promotions. The team was essentially based in Chester already.

Selfishly this move is good for me, as I crave watching more inexpensive live soccer, and Bethlehem was too far for me.

9. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Union better be careful they don't suck off first team season ticket holders with this move. Next year I might be tempted to switch to paying for a team that can actually win a playoff game. If I'm going to Chester anyway might as well follow a team doing well and with some ambition and coaching. Can always get tickets off StubHub if I want to see a favorite player from an away MLS team play the Union...

Phillyspur and thomas19064 repped this.
  10. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the current senior team will self-relegate and stay in Chester, rebranded as Chester City FC, and a new senior team that is on par with the 'haves' of MLS will relocate to Temple's new on-campus stadium that can be designed to accomodate both soccer and American football.

I predict they will include free admission to all Steel games for Union STH's.

ScottyMac26 and mattylip repped this.
  11. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The requirements for a USL stadium and the cost of rent take Drexel, Penn and Temple out of the running. I'm not sure if Nova's football stadium would qualify or not. I think you need 5000 seats in addition to the locker room facilities and lights.

13. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Widener's football stadium seats 4,000 and has lights, albeit on a turf field. If the requirements are 5,000 seats and lights, maybe Sugarman will buy Widener some aluminum bleachers to make up the difference for a break on the rent.

Missed that...thanks!

14. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Rowan University? Not sure how many seats in their soccer stadium, but the Football Stadium does hold 5000.

15. sentrido

sentrido Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I feel like if you are a uni big enough to have the facilities its probably too small an event (maybe 3k at best ) to want to deal with it. Also it's not like the unions stadium gets a lot of use anyway.

16. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell that to Ale Bedoya

Phillyspur, ScottyMac26, drewuke and 3 others repped this.
  17. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would the Union pay to play somewhere in the Philly area when the team has a perfectly good stadium that it can use for no (little?) cost in Chester?

thomas19064 repped this.
  18. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would imagine the cost of opening TES rivals the rent on smaller venues.

jaykoz3 and billf repped this.
  19. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to 2007.

20. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

21. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that we'll see a fair amount of double-headers next season.

22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes me think of Taylor Twellman, the league's concussion protocol, and his incessant whinging.

23. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    WIDENER University?....

Handsome Pete, jaykoz3 and thomas19064 repped this.
  24. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My family gets a kick out of watching any match with me, when TT is the commentator. Inevitably someone on the field will get a knock to the head and I'll sigh and say, "And....here we go."

Dills repped this.
  25. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally get this thinking and used to think they same way. Then I was at a rehab hospital while my dad was recovering from a stroke, and my perspective on brain injuries changed. There was a young woman going through physical and occupationally therapy who if you closed your eyes you'd think she was 2-3 years old. She was in her early-mid twenties though.

I understand that TT does get a little preachy, but he deals with the after effects of repeated concussions everyday. We've all seen the serious after effects that concussions & head injuries can have (Chris Benoit, Junior Seau,etc.).

Even if TT gets annoying when he talks/preaches about concussions and the effects they have, he's bringing awareness to an issue that still isn't fully understood, or taken as seriously as it should be.

*stepping off the soap box*

BuddhaWake, djramone, LimeTree and 8 others repped this.