Bethlehem’s Future in question?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by thomas19064, Oct 17, 2017.

1. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, was trying to be supportive and it read snarky, my apologies.

Ok we need to stop with the tax stuff. The team has done a lot wrong but the situation with the city was created by the state and the way the deal was rammed down the city's throat right before the economy tanked. The costs to the city, shocker, were higher that the annual payments the Union were obligated to make. The city wanted more money and the team wanted the city to provide the services it was pledged via the agreement. Payment was withheld over that dispute and has since been paid. The city was absolutely screwed, no question, but the Union were under no obligation to pay any more than agreed. Remember that at the same time, there were disputes over parking, policing, etc. I have been extremely critical of the team and the way its been run but the legend that grew from something that took place five years ago is ridiculous and criticism misplaced.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  2. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh okay... wait... what did I just read?

LimeTree repped this.
  3. sentrido

sentrido Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    For some reason I just had a funny vision of Brian Carroll desperately trying to determine who actually owns the Steel.

nhlman10 repped this.
  4. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who own da Chief? Ownnnnssss, Ownnnnnsss!

[​IMG]

ScottyMac26 and LuckyStriker repped this.
  5. lopezzzz

lopezzzz Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Bullshit.

UnionDues, LimeTree and thomas19064 repped this.
  6. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    They shouldn't have ever gone to Bethlehem in the first place. It was just another one of Nick's unicorns. Not that Rochester makes sense either, but I've always thought they could be successful operating in Philly or sharing Talen.

7. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with that, but this rumor has me interpreting as forfeiting control of their minor league system, not moving it to Chester.... the Harrisburg setup was bad for development, a Rochester setup will be even worse.

LuckyStriker repped this.
  8. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It's also problematic if the goal is to have your academy and reserve players train with the first team then run off and play with the USL squad on the weekend. No way that happens without a local team they actually own. So much for Najem/Elliott/Epps/Jones/Trusty types getting developmental minutes when they're stuck in Philly b/c they might be needed in the 18.

LuckyStriker and thomas19064 repped this.
  9. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While people complain about driving 20 minutes to see the senior team. Any expectation they had would be an overestimation.

10. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    They're still the highest attended II team, so I wouldn't say it's a failure at all.

11. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sooo....Let's look at the rumored 2 teams being shuttered:

Orlando City B
    Sounders 2
    White Caps 2
    BSFC

All three (not sure about BSFC, but if Lehigh is out as an option that shoe would fit) currently do NOT meet USSF's D2 standards. Given the "rival" leagues lawsuit against USSF....it wouldn't look good to have to give waivers for 4 teams in order for the USL to meet D2 sanctioning.

It's also going to be way too expensive for each of these teams to play home games at the Senior Teams stadium.

I get the outrage, and agree with it. Yet at the same time.....if your 2 team doesn't have a viable stadium option that meets D2 standards, what are you going to do? If the Sounders are rumored to be shutting down their 2 team, it must either not be a huge help to developing players, a much bigger cost center then fans realize, or both.

CREN repped this.
  12. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, the other 3 teams don’t have appropriate stadium options outside of the senior team, but why is Goodman suddenly not viable? Lehigh jacking up the rent and cheap-o Jay not wanting to pay? You can’t sell us youth development all year long and then take out the key bridge team.

billf repped this.
  13. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they shutter the BSFC I'm done with the Union. I'm already extremely frustrated with the utter imcompetence of this organization, and the spending of Sugarman (or lack there of), but the BS line the whole time has been, well we are one of the best teams in MLS in investing in our school/academy with a USL team straight to MLS. We are going to be a development team. If they go to a partnership the last mirror in the fun house is broken.

I've known for some time that you are lying to me, but if they pull this stunt, they are actually making a mockery of their fans. Honestly I'm beginning to wonder if its better to be a Crew fan!!!!

14. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are talking about the Union here, but I feel like there is some sort of "reasoning" behind this that isn't just $.

If it is just about the dollars and cents than this team has really lost the plot. But if it has to do with rules that are shoehorning these teams into something, then that is on the leagues themselves.

cwelch999 and Starpork repped this.
  15. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no way BSFC needs a waiver for D2, the stadium is fine, net worth of owner is fine, etc. I'm sure the cost is higher than expected and I'd imagine that the partnership with Lehigh is complicated. Without a wholly owned or fully controlled USL team allowing everyone to train together, the entire model and vision the Union have been selling us is a lie at worst and falls apart at best.

thomas19064 and cwelch999 repped this.
  16. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounders dismissed the rumors yesterday saying the team will move to Tacoma next year. Orlando and Kansas City have also dismissed the rumors as well.

Lancaster FC repped this.
  17. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The Union's response: "we'll do whatever saves us the most money."

lopezzzz and cwelch999 repped this.
  18. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But ... it ... didn't really SAY anything.

19. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

20. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So now I know what a mushroom feels like.

Being kept in the dark and fed shit all day.

Union42, CITY&UNION, thomas19064 and 3 others repped this.
  21. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am now inspired to wear a mushroom costume to the game sunday.

Or on second thought, maybe just a t-shirt with a mushroom on it. Because that would be a lot easier than a whole costume.

Also, it would need a caption, because no one would get it if I just wore a shirt with a picture of a mushroom on it.

billf, Dills and LuckyStriker repped this.
  22. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they do shutter BSFC and pick up Rochester as their affiliate I can't see how they could possibly spin this that wouldn't be complete bullshit.

"We feel that partnering with the Rochester Rhinos gives us the opportunity to partner with an organization that has a history of success and can develop our players," inevitable quote from Sugarman or Curtin.

Apparently the Union have ALREADY forgotten the fact that when Harrisburg was their partner many of their players were getting limited playing time and players were getting played in positions that they weren't accustomed to. Harrisburg has different owners than the Union as does Rochester. Its NOT in their interest to develop the Union's talent for them. If I own a USL team and the Union becomes my affiliate, why should I spend resources developing a player that my "affiliate" will call up to the senior team when they feel like it? My USL team could be knee deep in a playoff race and all of a sudden here comes my "affiliate" that says, "Oh that guy that's killing it? We're going to bring him up. Good luck winning some of those matches."

Bethlehem whether one likes it or not, is necessary to develop draft picks and academy players. Move Steel to Talen or something along those lines, but it pretty much means that the "we'll develop our academy players!" angle is pretty much dead if they dump BSFC.

23. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It sounds like Bethlehem will definitely be back for 2018 at least.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  24. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

[​IMG]

25. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yeah, I'm not sure what it's worth but a Union rep categorically denied the rumour when I brought it up. Wasn't hedged to only specifically state 2018 either. Still skating on thin ice, though.

billf repped this.