Best young players in CAF

Discussion in 'Africa' started by TheHitman47, Sep 20, 2016.

1. TheHitman47

TheHitman47 Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I have seen a couple young talents outside of Nigeria but I would say that Iheanacho is the best u23 African player currently IMO.

A few I can think of outside of Nigeria:

Mario Lemina (Gabon, Juventus)
    Adama Traore (Mali, AS Monaco)
    Yaw Yeboah (Ghana, FC Twente)

2. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    As a Ghanaian, I go with Iheanacho then Yeboah

3. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #3 Unak78, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    Apparently Kelechi Iheanacho and Alex Iwobi are the first Nigerian players ever nominated for UEFA's Golden Boy award. At first glance, it surprises me that this never happened during the 90's Golden Generation where Nigeria was FIFA ranked as high as #5. JJ, Kanu, Babayaro, Amokachi, Yekini, Finidi, and none were considered prodigies? I was young at the time so some details are still not on point. But then I remember that many African players (at least in the early 2000s, was probably the same in the early 90s) typically never came into their own or signed for bigger sides until their early to mid 20s.

African players being developed and kept in the first team this early, instead of being loaned out to a smaller league or team, is still very rare. Even Kelechi Nwakali, who followed Iheanacho's exploits by a year and joined Iwobi's Arsenal ended up being loaned out, so there are still Nigerian talents who don't have the x-factor that Iwobi and Iheanacho had to advance so quickly. Might only be a once-in-a-generation thing; or it could be the start of something.

Still, very big news. I, for one, am glad that Iheanacho couldn't afford to watch EPL games and had to settle for watching La Liga, which is apparently cheaper in Nigeria. I think that being forced to watch Messi and Ronaldo and try to model your skills after them isn't a bad thing.

breaking.com.ng/nigeria/kelechi-iheanacho-alex-iwobi-are-the-first-nigerians-to-be-nominated-for-uefa-golden-boy-award/

E2A: I also keep forgetting that Ahmed Musa is still only 23.

zahzah repped this.
  4. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #4 Unak78, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016

Alex Iwobi - Nigeria [​IMG] - 20yrs old

Nabil Bentaleb - Algeria [​IMG] - 21yrs old

5. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria

Amadou Diawara - Gunea [​IMG] - 19yrs old

Kelechi Iheanacho [​IMG] - 19yrs old

Shows a bit more dribbling form Iheanacho. Playing in the Premier league limits players time on the ball so long runs of dribbling are rarer since negative tactics are more prevalent. Also they still only utilize him as a lone striker when I had hoped that Guardiola would pair him with Aguero which would allow him to occasionally withdraw more and expand his game.

6. Yacine9

Yacine9 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Algiers
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    Iwobi & Nacho at the top then you have Isaac Success, Amadou Diawara, Adama Traoré, Bertrand Traoré...etc

7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I could see Success taking the spotlight. He looks set to oust he countryman Ighalo from the starting line up.

Bertrand Traore meanwhile is really finding his feet at Ajax. Chelsea fans are saying its the wrong loan.