Best XI of Americans from the Scandinavian leagues

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Aug 22, 2016.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Not so many to choose from I admit but quite a good number as well. who would you select?

2. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    IASocFan repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    ALL Time man. Was curious of your selection and several others on here

thanks for the links

4. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Well ... Ironically the best striker is not even listed as an American, because he was in the process of choosing which country he was going to play for, while he was playing in the Superliga for AGF, so Aron Jóhannsson is listed as an Icelandic player .... I would also pick Michael Parkhurst, who was playing Champions League with FC Nordsjælland, to be among the very best ... though in right back position where he made 13 assists and 3 goals in the Superliga and not as centre back, where Danny Califf would be the best ... Califf was team captain when AaB Aalborg won the Danish Championship, but he did not get to play in the CL group stage because he moved to Midtjylland, where he was no success and will only be remembered for his last-minute own-goal against Manchester City in the Europa League... But for AaB Danny Califf was great, so he deserve to be among the Best XI .... I suspect Norwegians would pick Clarence Goodson, but he was not really that big a success playing for Brøndby in the Danish Superliga. Heath Pearce made 11 assists and 2 goals for FC Nordsjælland in the Superliga, playing in left back position and was rated as the best left back in the league back then, so he deserve to be in the Best XI ...

Benny Feilhaber
    is the most skilled American player who has played in the Superliga, but he was playing for an attacking minded, but also highly inefficient AGF team that was not able to score the needed goals, which was also Feilhaber's own weakness. So they suffered relegation, still you could argue that he should be among the Best XI.

IASocFan and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Apparently, only 9 Americans have played in the Swedish league so far :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_Allsvenskan_players#United_States

... and by looking through the list, I think we found a winger for the Best XI team in Alejandro Bedoya ..... Charlie Davies was also great while playing in Sweden, though he was a regular flop in the Superliga for Randers ... but his performance in Sweden will get him among the Best XI ...

There have been a lot more Americans playing in the Norwegian Tippeliga :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_Norwegian_Premier_League_players#United_States

I have already mentioned Clarence Goodson, who was great in Norway, but no quite so great in Denmark playing for Brøndby, though he was team captain ... but he is in .... Mix Diskerud could be an obvious choice in central midfield for the Best XI ... other midfield option could be Brian West and Joshua Gatt and Hunter Freeman as CB or defensive midfieler .... as for goalkeepers ... then we have Troy Perkins, Adin Brown and Steve Clark .... so I think Troy Perkins is the best option, while Brad Friedel would have been the obvious choice, if he actually had played for Brøndby in the Superliga.

So my Best XI is going to be:

Troy Perkins as GK .... Danny Califf and Goodson in centre back position ... Heath Pearce as left back, Michael Parkhurst as right back ... wingers are going to be Alejandro Bedoya and Joshua Gatt .... Conor O'Brien from AC Horsens as defensive holding midfielder, while I chose Benny Feilhaber as the creative playmaker and Aron Jóhannsson and Charlie Davies as the two forwards...

on the bench : Brad Friedel, CB/DM: Hunter Freeman, Robbie Russell, Brian West and Mix Diskerud.