Best World Cup match performance ever.

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Zlatko2010, Mar 25, 2013.

1. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    mmm .. I would say Krol was a superclass in DF as well ...

2. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Regarding 1978WC favourites and expectations, by 1977 World Soccer writer/correspondent Keir Radnedge did not expect that Netherlands would proceed very far (the name of the writer is on the previous page, which is about UEFA seeding).
    [​IMG]
    Indeed, while Netherlands was making internal troubles, other key national teams made tours throughout South America, playing against the best national teams - in order to acclimatize and gain insight.

This was the win against Belgium he is referring to, by the way.

JamesBH11 and msioux75 repped this.
  3. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    comme repped this.
  4. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #205 PuckVanHeel, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    @PDG1978

Eventually I decided to bump the thread because I came across an interesting and typical answer when Cruijff himself was questioned by Brazilian journalists (or correspondents of Brazil) on the day before the 'de facto' semi final. They noticed that he didn't look completely fit (a red nose, pale face) and ofc tried to provoke him by linking it to the infamous swimming pool incident.

"I caught influenza, caught one's death of a cold. This was at Sunday the case too [vs GDR]. It is not from nightly bathing. It runs away badly with me though, because I receive from dr. Kessel weak medicines. There is something stronger indeed, but then you'll meet great risks at the doping control."

I saw it in a book:
    [​IMG]
    And it is also in the newspaper archives:
    http://resolver.kb.nl/resolve?urn=ddd:010619680:mpeg21:a0266

By the way, I read in a magazine called 'the Blizzard' this paragraph:

[​IMG]

Fewer people know/memorize that French NT manager Hidalgo was subjected to a contemplated kidnapping attempt on 23 May 1978. Initially people thought about left-wing extremists (objecting a participation at the 1978WC as well as playing directly against Argentina in the group stage), but as with so many kidnapping attempts and terror acts in that era it is blurred, contested and trapped territory. As football journalist Auclair wrote for the same magazine (issue fourteen): "The identity of the culprits remains a mystery to this day." Note that this terrifying incident took place two weeks after Italian prime minister Aldo Moro was kidnapped and shot dead (9 May 1978).
    Show Spoiler

http://www.theguardian.com/football/worldcup2006blog/2006/jun/21/hollandaccordingtoargentina
    http://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/fussball-historie-jubel-in-hoerweite-der-folterkammern-1.218882

I've now been caught off course I notice but I wanted to show you that answer mainly (hence information). Cheers.

PDG1978 repped this.
  6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yes, that's interesting and I'd assume he's being completely open rather than playing himself down to gain advantage I would think.

Personally, I still feel Cruyff played by normal standards a very good game taking the whole performance into account but yeah that'd certainly be a factor in him being less active and involved as compared to before overall (I guess he'd try to or need to save his energy a bit more).

7. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC

This should be

John Baldessari repped this.
  8. John Baldessari

Mar 21, 2015
    Cruyff vs Bulgaria '74