Best way to store vinyl LP's??

Discussion in 'Books' started by GDopplerXT, Mar 8, 2003.

1. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    Hi all-

I'm at one of those points where I need to pack up and store my prized collection of vinyl LP's from the 80's, at least until I get around to buying that huge mansion with a music studio/library in the south wing....

I've got about 150-200 LP's that I want to pack up, and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on how/where to store them or what to store them in.

I've looked at those DJ cases that hold 70-80 LP's (or larger ones, even). They are certainly sturdy and will protect my LP's, but they are expensive ($50-$80 depending on what kind and where you buy them), and may be good to transport your LP's, but are they OK for STORING them?

If any of you have ideas on better/cheaper ways to do this, or other tips for storing LP's, I would love to hear them.

(The poster with the most helpful info will win my extra copy of the Soundtrack for "Hard to Hold", by Rick Springfield.... ;))

Thanks in advance.

2. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Cheapest and easiest way is to buy some clear sleeves for them (normally 10 for a dollar, if not cheaper, at good record stores), then just get some record crates (look like milk crates, but are 12.5 inches X 12.5). Put some cardboard on the bottom (or any hard, solid surface). They stack well and as long as the crates are full enough to where the lps don't lean forward or backwards, then your safe. Most important thing is too keep them in a cool, dry climate and make sure that they stand up straight.

3. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    Good advice, never stack them flat

4. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    These little gems are frickin' awesome, man:

http://www.surprise.com/hobbies/musician/record_album_frame.cfm

Got mine at Restoration Harware, but I'm sure you can get 'em cheaper smewhere else.

They come in handy for showing off my rare mint condition LPs like Boys Don't Cry's self titled, Sigue Sigue Sputnik's Flaunt It, The Mary Jane Girl's Only For You, or The Villiage People's finest yet neft seen, Renaissance album.