Best USA player I have seen in MLS this year: Klein

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Bruce S, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im my CM game, he now plays for Milan on a consistant basis, and is captain of The USA nats.

not that it really matters....

2. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. He is only starting to come on...

I hate LA (Randy Newman?), but Ruiz is a horse. His passion for trying to score goals any possible way is impressive. TT and Ariel are close seconds...

3. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I sure wouldn't say that Olsen or Kiro have proven themselves as good players at this level. I would hope that Klein might exceed those guys.

4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Missed my point entirely. Who will replace the size and power of Sanneh, Pope, Berhalter and McBride?And still be a good player?

5. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klein isn't skilled enough? That's news to me.

The one thing I'm not sure about is his speed. Maybe someone who sees him regularly can write about this definitively.

If he has the speed, he has more than enough skill to play on the USMNT.

I'd like to see how he meshes with a core group of first teamers.

Bruce S., I don't know if I agree that CK is the best I've seen in MLS this year, but then no one looks good other than Quakes at Spartan Stadium! :)

6. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I have been very impressed with Klein in the past couple months, as I've been able to see him play quite a bit more since picking up MLS Shootout (what a deal that Shootout is, can't believe what I've been missing).

CK appears to have excellent stamina as he will run up and down that right side for 90 mins even in hot/humid weather. Also has a good passing/dribbling/finishing skills. As a big guy who hustles well, defense shouldn't be a problem for him but I'd have to pay a bit more attention to that side of his game.

He's definitely up there with Twellman and Barrett as one of the more surprising/breakout players of the year, IMHO. I hope this is one of the first guys on Arena's list to call up for the next couple years.

I think he would be a great fit for RB in a 4-4-2 if his defense can match his offensive skills. Not that Klein isn't fast, but I have a gut feeling that a younger, more creative player will turn up before 2006 for the attacking right mid spot.

7. slacker

slacker Member

Nov 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    size

On a related question of size and strength in the future USMNT lineup, working Mastroeni in at D-Mid certainly helps over the current alternatives (Armas, O'Brien, Reyna).

I do agree that we might need more toughness or "bite" in midfield to have regular success against European teams, especially if Beasley and Donovan are regulars in the lineup - but this doesn't have to come just from size. For example, Reyna has toughened up quite a bit from '98 to '02 just from his experience playing in SPL and now EPL. And O'Brien is fairly tough as well.

Also, aren't most of the younger defenders under consideration comparable to our current crop in size and strength? (with the exception of Cherundolo, I suppose).

We will probably never field a lineup that is as tall and strong as Germany, but that shouldn't really be our goal. We just need to be tough enough to play against that sort of team effectively, and to be able to utilize our speed, which is the one physical advantage that the USA brings in many matchups.

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    size does matter

But the problem is not just what we do with the ball, it is also what the other team does with the ball. Who will mark players on free kicks and corners? Will Beasley or Donovan mark Ballack, Jancker, Borghetti? Somewhere int he mix MUST be some big guys who can really play. He is not a lock, but CK gets an asterisk next to his name because he is a big horse. Just like Sanneh did.

9. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    Connor Casey is huge. How old is he, 21?

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: size does matter

Suarez is great in the air. I think he will move to the inside eventually ( he has filled in there this year ) and be a big physical presence if on the Team. As to Klein, I don't know if he is the best or will be the best in four years but he is a good player and deserves a shot.

11. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Klein has played very well this year but he was completely taken out of the game by Milton Reyes Saturday night.

12. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Klein 26 ???

Not bad.....It would be great if we be talking about a 16 YEARS OLD, By the way any EXCEPTIONAL youngster on the sight..........

14. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Klein's best attribute are his crosses from the right flank. Klein is fast. I've seen him on many occasions push the ball around a left back and beat him to the end line and cross it in, on the run, to a striker making a run (kinda like the Lewis to LD goal vs. Mex.). And I'm not talking about beating Mike Burns either. :)

I think with two more years of development, barring another injury, he should and will get his shot. What he does with it then is up to him. But he's shown he deserves a chance.

15. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    The above is among the most ignorant posts I have ever read on BigSoccer!

16. What about Santino? He will be twenty by then, and I am betting that he will be playing pretty well out there. Or what about Kelly Gray. He is deceptively large and fast as a bugger, although he plays more on the left I think. Suarez is also a good young player, and what about Mark Lisi?

17. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Re: size does matter

In World Cup 2002, Tony Sanneh is the tallest US player in the field. Compare with Ballack, who is at 189cm.

Here is our defense lines:

Tony Sanneh 6'2" 188cm
    Gregg Berhalter 6'1" 185cm
    Eddie Pope 6'0" 183cm

Our three tallest defenders. Also

Jeff Agoos 5'10" 178cm
    David Regis 5'11" 180cm
    Carlos Llamosa 5'11" 180cm
    Frankie Hedjuk 5'8" 173cm
    Steve Cherundolo 5'6" 170cm

If counts Greg Vanney at 5'11" 180cm, yes we are very short in the world stage.

Things get a LOT of better:

Cory Gibbs 191cm
    Jim Curtin 6'4" 193cm
    Ryan Suarez 6'2" 188cm
    Mike Petke 6'2" 188cm
    Danny Califf 6'1" 185cm
    Jose Burciaga 6'1" 185cm
    Lee Morrison 6'1" 185cm
    Carlos Bocanegra 6'0" 183cm
    Chris Gbandi 6'0" 183cm

Also compare with all short forwards, we only have three are taller than 6'0" before:

Brian McBride, Ante Razov and Jovan Kirovski all at 6'1" 185cm.

Now, we have

Eddie Johnson 6'2" 188cm
    Conor Casey 6'2" 188cm
    Edson Buddle 6'1" 185cm
    Santino Quaranta 6'0" 183cm
    Taylor Twellman 5'11" 180cm (is he still growing?)

Compare with our all short midfielders of Reyna, O'Brian, Armas, Mastronei, Jones, Lewis, Donovan and Beasley, we now have

Chris Klein 6'1" 185cm
    Sasha Victorine 6'2" 188cm
    Eric Quill 6'0" 183cm
    Keely Gray 6'2" 188cm
    Brad Davis 5'11" 180cm
    Miguel Saavedra 5'11" 180cm
    Francisco Gomez 5'11" 180cm

So we will be taller and taller in future generations.

18. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: size does matter

You really think the likes of Klein, Victorine, Quill, Gray (he will be a force, but I suspect at the back), Davis, Saavedra and Gomez are going to pass Reyna, JOB, Mastroeni, Donovan and Beasley by 2006. I don't think so, which makes your hypothesis sink a bit, no?

19. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I was talking only of Klein. Why even mention those guys in the same breath, except to set up a straw man.. It is clear that Klein has been on Arena's radar, the others haven't.

20. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Re: Re: Re: size does matter

They will not bypass the guys you put there, but sure they will bypass guys like Stewart, Jones, etc.

21. fuentga

fuentga New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Buenos Aires
    Klein

I see Klein play on regular basis - I am a Wizards season ticket holder- Klein is not ready for International play..he is slow in thought and he really does not have a presence going forward..he still makes the predictable play-

He is big..he is fast of foot..but not fast of mind..He would not be my choice..but then I have never coached

22. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Re: Klein

There you go. Klein is ready, he proves it day in and day out. Can't go forward? He sure has a few goals and assists this season although his role has been shifted defensively.

At times hes slow in mind and predictable, but think of it this way. Maybe, just maybe, he is playing in a system or league that doesn't allow his mind to grow. If he were in a national team setting for more than a few days, with very creative and skilled players maybe his creativity and skill would come out of the woodwork.

PS-If Fransico Gomez reaches the USMNT, the shyte really has hit the fan. Trust me.

23. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Mario Kempes!!!!MLS SLOW.........

Mario Kempes wake up and turn off REPUBLICA DEPORTIVA, Mario DC UNITED whoop MEXICAN FAST TOLUCA, and it seem that super Argentina league team have hart time with the MEXICANS on Copa Libertadores, so can you make a judgement now.....Another nail on that arguments coffin: Super fast LUIS MATADOR HERNANDEZ look like a SWEEDY PIGGY trying to keep up with the "SLOW" BOYS OF MLS....OINK OINK..OINK wait for me.....

24. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Re: Mario Kempes!!!!MLS SLOW.........

is this english? it reminds me of my girlfriend (who is chinese) speaking to her mother. its half chinese and half english (the words she doesnt know in chinese). as i am now, it confuses me.

hart=hard???
    SWEEDY=SWEATY???
    complete sentences???

not to be a grammer cop or anything, but whip, you confuse the heck out of me dude.

25. fuentga

fuentga New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Buenos Aires
    Klein not ready

I understand you believe that Klein should be on the national team..but i guess I just do not see it..

I am not a coach..but my guess is that most people on here are not pro coaches..Ben,,if you are a coach of some repute please let me know..and I will respect your comments..if you are not then it seems that your opinion is worth about the same as mine..NOTHING..but that is why this forum is fun!

Klein is a marginal NAT player at best...and I think history will prove me right..

You are right about Gomez..the fact that he wears the #10 for the Wizards is a joke..and tells you something about Gansler..who I will never forgive for not taking Hugo Perez to Italy..