Best US goalkeeper?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by RoyalMan, Sep 25, 2002.

?

Top Yank shotstopper?

1. Brad Friedel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Kasey Keller

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Marcus Hahnemann

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    I think every US nat coach in the future will have big headache choosing team's no.1 keeper, too many too good keepers. ... last summer we'd seen the clue.

2. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its time to stop putting Zach Thornton on the short list to back up Keller/Friedel. Adin Brown has been the best keeper in the Revs/Chicago series. If you look at the last 10 games, Brown has been terrific. I am not advocating putting him back "into the mix" as a Nats call up yet, but if he keeps this up, he will be considered.

Thornton, however, no longer impresses me. He's big, he's imposing, but he makes mental and positioning errors that would be punished on the International level

3. swissman

swissman Member

Sep 9, 2002
    Boston
    Granted, it came from his teammate, but Joe Franchino said in an interview that Adin Brown should be playing for the US.

4. princesskofi

princesskofi New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Bako...SO CAL
    Meola will always be the BEST!!!

5. SPL

SPL New Member

Apr 28, 2000
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope Bruce Arena gives Johnny Walker of Universidad Catolica in Chile a look sometime. Although the Chilean league has had its problems off the field recently (i.e., financial difficulties and a players strike), it's a very very tough league. He's been the best goalie in Chile the past year or two (and a fan favorite to boot). Sure, the guy played in the A-League, but that was several years ago. He's really developing into a top class keeper.

6. tom brady

tom brady New Member

Sep 30, 2002
    Brad, Kasey, whoever between the two we have great goalies and which ever we put in will get the job done. The Germans have Kahn, but then they don't really have anything after that, same with the French. The English, Brazilians, Argentines, and Dutch have a few mediocre goalies but no one really incredible. The only other teams with two strong keepers are the Italians (Buffon, Toldo), and the Spanish (Canizares, Casillas).

7. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't mean to denigrate the A-League. Heck, one of MLS's top keepers statistically this season (Busch) played 5 seasons in the A-League before making the jump.

My point is, playing overseas doesn't automatically make a goalkeeper better than a domestic one. Our domestic ones are quite good, and I think nearly any of the starters in MLS could be successful pros in a good number of foreign leagues.

All I am saying is, there is no compelling reason (in my mind) to place Walker above any of the domestic guys. I'm not adverse to him getting a look, but I suspect he won't be able to distinguish himself from any of the top domestic keepers.

8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    OT: Dutch Keepers

Sorry, but the Dutch duo (van der Sar & Waterreus) rate a bit higher than "mediocre".