Best US goalkeeper?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by RoyalMan, Sep 25, 2002.

?

Top Yank shotstopper?

1. Brad Friedel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Kasey Keller

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Marcus Hahnemann

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalMan

RoyalMan New Member

May 18, 2002
    Reading
    Who is the best US goalkeeper? Place your vote and if you vote for the other option feel free to add who.

2. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would Marcus be listed along with Kasey and Brad? Because he plays in England? I would say that Tim Howard, Joe Cannon and Zack T. are better than Marcus.

3. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Agreed, and undersized Nick Rimando, too.

4. RoyalMan

RoyalMan New Member

May 18, 2002
    Reading
    Because he plays for the super royals and he is a top keeper!

PS - Plus the fact that those are the only american keepers i know which is why i added the other option.

5. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    Maybe because the person who posted the question is English and a fan of Marcus's new team, Reading (for whom he's reportedly played well)? He probably doesn't have many opportunities to see MLS keepers play and doesn't know as much about them.

6. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    In other words, what he said.

7. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given Hahnemann's recent form, might he actually be coming into contention to be out #3 keeper? I can't think of too many keepers in MLS who are performing as well as him at present, and among MLS keepers only Joe Cannon has really impressed me with his distribution.

Given that the general consensus is that MLS is about on a par with Nationwide Div 1, wouldn't it make sense to give Hahnemann another look? If he's keeping clean sheets in Div 1, it's likely that he'd be on similar good form in MLS. He's not going to replace Frieller any time soon, but he might be our third-best keeper at this point in time.

8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keller and Friedel are obviously the best U.S. keepers but its a real toss up over who's the #3.
    It could be Hahnemann,Howard,Meola,Cannon,or Thornton. Basically we are heads and shoulders above most countries in terms of goalkeeping. The Spanish and Germans are maybe the only ones who can compete with us in goalkeeping.

9. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahneman? dude, maybe you should include juergen sommer too.

10. BigBubba

BigBubba New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    DC
    Not to mention Ian Feuer.

11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was unlucky at Fulham when he was there because he orginally was set to be their #1. Now he's finally been given the chance to showcase himself. You can't deny that he's a good keeper and has some talent.

12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey at least I didn't mention the journey man Ian Feuer!!!

13. maclura

maclura New Member

Mar 16, 2001
    Oak Park
    Hmm. I'm surprised to see that Keller is so far ahead of Freidel.....

I voted "other" as a protest vote for Zach Thornton!

14. maclura

maclura New Member

Mar 16, 2001
    Oak Park
    He was in Journey?? I thought that was Aynsley Dunbar....

15. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Maybe because Keller is celebrated in song. Maybe because we all saw the US game v. Brazil. Maybe because as the pre WC crash thread mentioned, whatever the reason, the vast majority of bigsoccer patrons just like Keller better. They feel he is more capable of the unbelievable than Friedel. I shall watch the Man U game tonight on Fox Sports World tonight to see if he was indeed on par with his Brazil performance as it was alluded to by people who watched the game.

Or maybe Romario's "that was the best performance by a keeper that i have ever seen" quote is pretty memorable in all of our heads.

Shoot we were still all hoping Keller would start v. Germany despite how far we have gotten and the stopped penalty kicks by Brad.

Thats just my guess though.

16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Winning Percentage - Keller vs. Friedel

Or maybe it’s simpler… just compare winning percentages. Stats don’t lie and with Keller in goal we win twice as often. :)

17. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    based on current form...

keller.

18. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this time it's Brad.
    But my fav will always be Tony Meola..

19. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    He might be #3, but I highly doubt it. He was a very average MLS keeper. I would definitely take Howard. In fact, I'd probably go with Meola over him. As well as several others. Hahnemann starting in MLS would be no sure thing, to say the least. This is by far our strongest position. A typical field player in Div. 1 probably could start in MLS. Not a goalkeeper. Of course, maybe Marcus has improved his game a ton. I hope so.

As for distribution. Any time I hear this brought up I can't help but laugh. Compared to the importance of preventing goals, the distribution is of minimal importance. At best, it's comparable to a pitcher's fielding skills. Not that important in the big scheme of things. It's impossible to believe it would account for more than .05 net goals per game over a season.

20. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

Why? Keller has always been better. Keller is pretty much a world class keeper. Friedel is a very good keeper.

As for Zach, from what I've seen of him this year, which isn't enough, I'd say he's not playing quite as well. I wouldn't consider him for #3, let alone #1.

21. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    That certainly was my hope. True, Brad stopped the PKs, and to me he seemed weak on crosses, and did not dominate the six yard box the way I'd expect a big keeper like him to dominate it. He frequently seemed hesistant and tentative. I remember a lot of punches of balls that looked like they should have been caught. That said, he's a helluva keeper and had a great WC. To lose a comparison at his level is no disgrace. Not many ever get to that level.

22. Etcheverry's Mullet

Etcheverry's Mullet New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    I feel comfortable with either Freidel or Keller...one thing that I do know is that Howard is overrated.

23. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seriously?!?!? Man, I'm as big of a quakes fan as you'll find here, but distribution is one of the WORST parts of Joe's game! He sprays balls into the stands and all over. I love joe cannon, but he needs a lot of work on his distribution in my opinion.

24. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    I think Freidel has a better overall game IMO. Kellar excels at the defending the first shot on goal. Keller is capable of making an occasional bonehead decision in playing the ball I notice. Freidel has a better mental game and that is important to me. Stronger leg too for kicking. I like Howard 3rd.

25. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahhh...it has been a while since the Big Soccer faithful lined up to pound their heads against a wall in the age old Brad v. Kasey debate.

Sit back and enjoy the finer points of distribution versus intangibles, low shot stopping ability versus PK's, defensive organization and crossing coverage.